The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: qrz.com must be a member to comment anymore.  (Read 33184 times)
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 04:04:53 PM »

I sent the club a wire stating, "PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

Telegram to the Friar's Club of Beverly Hills to which he belonged, as recounted in Groucho and Me (1959),
K9ASE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 04:28:32 PM »

I sent the club a wire stating, "PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

Telegram to the Friar's Club of Beverly Hills to which he belonged, as recounted in Groucho and Me (1959),
If there was a "like" button here I'd give you one
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 06:17:35 PM »

...  I  own a car too but if,it runs out of gas it doesn't run anymore either.

I keep my tank full,.... and just pass on by to other destinations.

about the only thing I used that site for anymore is callsign lookups  YMMV
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 07:32:07 PM »

Yup the "limited" political discussion is being thoroughly abused
Fred's site;

Fred's rules;

Fred's mess to deal with.
  Hope Fred can handle the backlash  that will be coming from all the advertisers?

Because it's coming.
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 07:48:12 PM »

Some of us must be spending too much time in the shack and not keeping up with what's going on in the real world.

Unfortunately, ALL Internet sites that allow reader comments are having trouble managing the increasing number of abusive comments. The whole idea of free debate carried out in a courteous and respectful manner seems to be a thing of the past.

A large number of newspapers have either totally removed their comments function or limited it to subscribers of the paper. CNN used to have comments but eliminated them several months ago.

Because of the growing tendency to abuse people and privileges, moderating comments has become a very onerous task for site owners. For some owners, the only practical solution is to limit comments, especially in forum sections that easily become attractive to the kind of people that you would probably not want as a guest in your house.
AC4BB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 08:41:01 PM »

Ben, Some of the worst were actually subscribers believe it or not.!!!!!!!!!
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 06:08:30 AM »

Fred's site;

Fred's rules;

Hope Fred can handle the backlash  that will be coming from all the advertisers?

Because it's coming.
Thus, my last line of commentary.  Wink
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 06:38:48 AM »

I am seriously happy it's closed to me now. When I first joined QRZ and started reading RCCII I told myself I would not get sucked into the discussions because I have belonged to a few general forums that ate up loads of time and emotional energy. However, I did eventually join in the fray enough to feel the effect.

Now, I'm FREE!

Steve in Okinawa
KJ3N

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 06:44:25 AM »

Fred's site;

Fred's rules;

Because it's coming.

The first Rag Chew forum was closed when the site got flagged as a hate site. The second incarnation was probably pulled (I suspect) for similar reasons. I highly suspect that this 3rd incarnation of a rag chew forum will fair no better.

What Fred seems to refuse to accept is that several of his paying subscribers are directly responsible for his troubles. There is a small subset of paying members whose frequently racist, homophobic, and plain hatefully tinged commentary will (again) bring trouble right to Fred's doorstep.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.  Roll Eyes
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 07:46:58 AM »

... (edit)...
The first Rag Chew forum was closed when...
.... The second incarnation was probably pulled...
...members whose frequently...

well, perhaps he should just limit the forum activities to sitting around the campfire, eating beenie weenies and singing Kumbaya.

Oh............... none of those activities are "user comment proof" either, some people may like roasted marshmallows instead.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 08:04:33 AM »

Ben, Some of the worst were actually subscribers believe it or not.!!!!!!!!!
We've noticed.

Which makes you wonder... why become a subscriber  in order to post, when the worst abusers are already subscribers?  So that one can be abused again? [ That's a rhetorical question, and I do not intend to debate the specifics? ]

That said... again, as I said earlier and N8YX said earlier: 

It's AA7BQ's site.  He runs it as he see fits.
His site.
His rules.
The buck stops there.
If you don't care for the changes... there are other places.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 08:06:07 AM »

... (edit)...
The first Rag Chew forum was closed when...
.... The second incarnation was probably pulled...
...members whose frequently...

well, perhaps he should just limit the forum activities to sitting around the campfire, eating beenie weenies and singing Kumbaya.
< snip >
After watching Blazing Saddles, who wants to sit around the campfire eating beans anymore?   Cheesy
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 08:46:50 AM »

(snip)

(snip)

The Tech forums seem to be rather devoid of buffoonery, and what little of it starts is usually squashed prior to growing legs. Some of us prefer a high S/N ratio in those areas.

Oh............... none of those activities are "user comment proof" either, some people may like roasted marshmallows instead.

While allowing the inmates full control of the asylum is a charitable gesture, the reality of such is that it tends to interfere with a website's revenue stream if the moderation duties pull the staff's attention away from other - necessary - functions.

To Fred's credit, he wrappered things as best he could under the circumstances. Whether or not that was the right choice remains to be seen.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 09:30:43 AM »

one thread locked in less than 24 hours for their new playground.
  Shall we keep an IB4TL count for them?

Yes...the one Fred started about the new forum.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »

Fred's site;

Fred's rules;

Because it's coming.

The first Rag Chew forum was closed when the site got flagged as a hate site. The second incarnation was probably pulled (I suspect) for similar reasons. I highly suspect that this 3rd incarnation of a rag chew forum will fair no better.

What Fred seems to refuse to accept is that several of his paying subscribers are directly responsible for his troubles. There is a small subset of paying members whose frequently racist, homophobic, and plain hatefully tinged commentary will (again) bring trouble right to Fred's doorstep.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.  Roll Eyes

What gets me is why a pay to post when the  previous RCC and RCCII were looked at as hate sites.
 Wouldn't it be better for Fred if this new forum were pay to read also?
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: