Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: palomar amp  (Read 3552 times)
AF4OB

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2004, 04:08:05 PM »

seen an add for palomar amp- claims to work 7-21

any comments  good amp bad ?  ty 73 af4ob
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 05:36:50 PM »

This is a company whose primary market is CBers who want to run illegal power, and they're illegal to sell in the U.S.

Even if used in the ham bands, they're still illegal to sell (so far, based on current regulations) and thus owning one is essentially owning contraband material.

But, I don't care much about that.  I'd be more concerned that they really generate some wide, splattery signals full of bad intermodulation distortion -- or worse.  They usually lack any harmonic filtering, or any bandswitched harmonic filtering, so if used below 27 MHz, on, say, 7 MHz, you can easily generate 2nd, 3rd and 4th harmonics that are quite powerful and totally unfiltered by the amplifier.

This is why "real" HF amateur amplifiers have bandswitches on them!  The little "CB" amps usually do not -- because there's nothing to switch.

These are available for ~$100 brand new, and I see them at Swap Meets for $20-$30 quite often.  I wouldn't buy one.

WB2WIK/6
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 08:50:50 AM »

Check on which transistors they used. Then go to RF Parts and look them up and find out what frequency range there designed for. http://www.rfparts.com/transistorspecs.html
This will tell you what frequency range the amplifier will work properly for. Almost all the "10 meter" amplifiers you see on Ebay use MRF-455 transistors that are only good for 14 to 30 MHz.  If you plan on buying one look at it as a homebrew amplifier project where someone else already built part of it for you. You will need band pass filter circuits for it if it does not already come with them. You will also need protection circuits for it, as these cheap little amplifiers do not come with them. All these add on circuits could cost more then the amplifier itself! You might end up spending more than just buying a FCC approved amateur HF band amplifier outright. Then again if your just looking for an add on amplifier for your single band QRP transceiver a single band pass filter would not be very hard or expensive to build and the SWR protection circuit would also be simple. You also would not require the circuit to prevent overdriving the amplifier as it's QRP power output all the time anyway.  
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 04:30:22 PM »

Ty -

Please pass on this inforamtion concerning "Palomar" amplifiers - educational for all concerned.

eBay has been flooded with "new" Palomar amplifiers.

Palomar has been out of business for 25 years - so older amplifiers (transistors used will reveal true age) are genuine - but NEw, not possible.

No address has ever been provided by the maker of these "new" amplifiers (likely a foreign import using the Palomar trademark name).
==========================================
Palomar is a REGSITERED TRADEMARK of Palomar Engineers, Inc. It is the Spanish word for “dove cote”.  (La Paloma = The Dove). The mourning dove is a common bird in Southern California. A major feature of San Diego county is 6000 ft. Palomar Mountain.

Local California Institutions using the name (and permitted - under law):

Palomar Observatory. On Palomar Mountain, with the 200 inch Hale telescope. Managed by California Institute of Technology.

Palomar Hospital. Escondido’s medical center.

Palomar College. A community college in San Marcos, Calif.

Palomar Airport. Airport code CLD. Carlsbad, California
===========================================
Businesses legally using the Palomar name include:

Palomar Engineers, Inc. At this Web site.
http://www.palomar-engineers.com/Palomar/palomar.html

Palomar Software, Inc. A Macintosh software developer in Oceanside, California.

Palomar Medical Technologies, Inc.  A medical equipment company in Burlington, Massachusetts.

Palomar Products,Inc. A manufacturer of audio, video, and data distribution systems in Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.

Palomar Technologies, Inc. A manufacturer of automated assembly equipment in Vista, California.

Palomar Display Products, Inc. A manufacturer of commercial and military displays in Carlsbad, California
=============================
Extinct businesses (OUT OF BUSINESS) that formerly used the Palomar name:

Palomar Electronics Corp.  A manufacturer of CB linear amplifiers in the 1960’s and 1970’s.
WENT OUT OF BUSINESS ABOUT 1980. No trasnfer of name or assets recorded.  This business had NO conection whatever to Palomar Engineers, Inc. (trademark owner)

Palomar Telecom. A manufacturer of repeater controllers in the 1980’s. Went out of business about 1990.
=============================

gb
KC7PGR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 12:28:10 PM »

Hello-
I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes.

Your information on Palomar is very interesting, however it's not entirely correct. Many, many years ago I was collector of things Palomar and had done considerable research regarding the company and it's history. Long story short - the company did not go "out of business", rather it was quietly splintered off to avoid the wrath of the FCC. Parts of it are still in business today.

Please, no anti-CB hate mail, it was a long time ago, but e-mail me if you need more info.

Matt
kc7pgr@arrl.net
AF4OB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 01:44:53 PM »

I found out they have 2 1446 transistors in them
73 Ron af4ob
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 04:17:30 PM »

SD 1446 transistors are rated at 90 watts output with 5 watts input below 30 MHz and 70 watts output with 7 watts output above 30 MHz. Frequency range is 14 to 50 MHz. This amplifier would probably work on 6 meters with just the addition of an output filter circuit, which is very easy to build in a project box. Just some wire, input and output connectors, and a small variable capacitor. You can even homebrew the capacitor! I would try the amplifier into a dummy load to check operation on any band between 20 and 6 meters before building the required circuits. If you will note the Frequency range 40 meter operation is outside the proper operation range of the transistors. This tells me that you should do NO business with this seller for any product.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 11:19:11 AM »

Matt -

No flames, but trademark / name registration law is very specific -- and even more so after so well documented 1990s lawsuits involving usage of Intenret DNS names (e.g., xx.com; xx.org, etc.).

The information posted is from the Palomar Engineers web site .. and they are a registered owner of the Palomar name.

gb
KB8NIV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »

Did you ever get this amp working? I aquired a PAL 290 over a decade ago, it has been sitting in storage and I just now read the thread from 2004 about your adventures with this amp.  I am thinking Of tuning it for 10M SSB and building some filtering. Unlike most I do have access to a VERY expensive agilent spectrum analyser so I can check for purity.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: