The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lastest Win 10 build Installed  (Read 16894 times)
VE3JEC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 01:30:02 PM »

I have seen lots of hate and some love everywhere i look on the Win10 subject.

Myself i like Win 7, more so likely because i know how it will behave and react. I installed Win 10 on apc i built mom but have not played much with it, i didnt note anything i disliked really though.

My GF's laptop came with win8.0 no there was a OS i hated, we did the free upgrade to Win 10 with it just to gt away from win 8, she likes it. 

Enough rambling, my question i have is, i seen lot of people saying that the Win10 OS forces updates. To me i find this troublesome as quite a bit of the time i am tethered (wifi)to my cell phone for internet, and while its quick i don't want to lose the bandwidth i pay for to an update. So is their an option to check and notify but NOT download until given permission to do so? 

Thoughts?
W4JCK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 01:51:34 PM »

<<So is their an option to check and notify but NOT download until given permission to do so?  >>

In the Home version -NO
There was/is an option in the Pro version to allow you to at least manage when the updates were done.  With the recent "Anniversary" update, there are reports that the option in Pro is no longer available.  But it's early for the update, so this might not be permanent.  In any case, if you want some control over the updates, the Home version is not a good choice.

Good luck

K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 01:58:24 PM »

I have seen lots of hate and some love everywhere i look on the Win10 subject.

Myself i like Win 7, more so likely because i know how it will behave and react. I installed Win 10 on apc i built mom but have not played much with it, i didnt note anything i disliked really though.

My GF's laptop came with win8.0 no there was a OS i hated, we did the free upgrade to Win 10 with it just to gt away from win 8, she likes it. 

Enough rambling, my question i have is, i seen lot of people saying that the Win10 OS forces updates. To me i find this troublesome as quite a bit of the time i am tethered (wifi)to my cell phone for internet, and while its quick i don't want to lose the bandwidth i pay for to an update. So is their an option to check and notify but NOT download until given permission to do so? 

Thoughts?

In Windows 10 Pro, you can defer updates.  In Windows 10 Home, you have less control.  You can, however, tell Windows that you are running on a metered connection, which makes Windows restrict how applications use your network bandwidth.

This will only work if you are using WiFi.  It does not work for a hardwired Ethernet connection.  The downside is that you'll need to remember to check for updates on your own schedule.

You can find this under Settings / Network & Internet / WiFi / Manage known networks.  Click on the name of your WiFi network, then on Properties, and enable 'Set as metered connection'.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 02:58:22 PM »

Martin, all of the stuff that Windows 10 Pro users disabled previously cannot be disabled in in Windows 10 1607. Only Enterprise and Education are allowed to turn off the telemetry, the ads, Cortana, "tips" pop-ups and a litany of other things. The Anniversary Update is a downgrade for Win10 Pro users. I consider it a nasty trick played on Pro users with the "free" upgrades from Win7.

Thank you for your information. I was already aware of the possible issues with the 1607 update. While I won't go out and get it, when it comes to my PCs I will install it. I have been using Windows 10, on three separate systems, for 8 months now (more than that on one of them). Two were updates from Windows 7 and the other was pre-installed on a new laptop. There were some issues initially, but either they were resolved with a simple google search or the updates took care of it. I expect the same from the 1607 update.

It's just that, I have just been working with computers for too long (about 45 years) and have survived hundreds of updates. Some were not a lot of fun, some brought new and exciting changes, but they all happened, no matter how much I wanted them to go away. These days, I can't seem to get excited about them any more.

So when the update comes, I will install it. How else am I going to know whether all the hype about the update is true or not? I'll be sure to report back. However, if I disappear from the internet suddenly after the update ....

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »

I've been through quite a few automatic Win10 updates and haven't had an issues yet. In general, updates don't bring you any new features - they mostly bring you security updates that may keep you from being hacked. I've run across a few "home" computers that either had updates turned off or had "ask before install" and the user always clicked cancel, not knowing what a Windows update was. Then when they get a virus or hacked they can't understand why Microsoft didn't do something to prevent it. I would guess that this is why Win10 home version makes it more difficult to avoid updates.

In the corporate world IT people often get the updates first themselves, check them out to ensure they have no negative impact on any of their software, and then push them over their network to their user's computers. Thus, Microsoft gives them more control over their updates.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KOP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 06:18:02 PM »

Between your post and this article from InfoWorld, I think I'm going to have to just remove Windows 10 Pro completely from my laptop and use Linux Mint exclusively.  I haven't booted into Windows for about 3 months, so I haven't received this "update," and I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

One day you will realize the folly of this downgrade to Linux.

OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64/x86_64 - Distro: Debian 7.8 - CPU: 8 x Intel Xeon (3000.000 MHz) - Processes: 207 - Uptime: 4d 15h 52m - Users: 2 - Load Average: 0.30 - Memory Usage: 2595.21MB/32247.37MB (8.05%) - Disk Usage: 2266.33GB/3948.30GB (57.40%)

Data redundancy in a RAID6 array . Memory management extending to interleaving as well as real time error correction . A transparent operating system that doesn't need a MCSE in order to disseminate opinion from fact because the API as well as the source is obfuscated , occluded and hidden from all but "partners" that even then have only a portion of the source . 

I made my switch to open source in 1998 and use microsoft products to demonstrate the superiorities of open source . I will admit that M$ office is the benchmark and has been for some time .

John , would you by a $1000 transceiver with the covers welded on ? . Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut ?
That is what M$ is and has been asking the consumer to do for decades . I refuse .

AF7XT Dennis

66 days, 9 hours, 55 minutes and 59 seconds
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 06:35:25 PM »

JX I am still enjoying my Win7 Pro and the fact that it runs everything without a problem, I am still waiting for my PC world to crash as you predicted!  Oh and no encrypted data packets going out. 

When you finally figure out you missed the boat it will be long out of port. You do not understand that WIN 32 API is a dying API as it has been replaced with a new API since 8x that currently supports legacy API apps. I suspect though that by Win 11 that support will be gone just like WIN 16 was dropped long ago. Win 7 has no support for new API and never will. Stay with 7 is kinda like staying with WIN 98 when XP rolled out. WIN98 was a sinking ship and so is 7 you just do not realize it yet.

You are convinced that there is a secret agenda with 10 but only agenda ia dumping 7 because MS has to move into new cross platform world. & has zero future there and MS is behind curve because it clung to 7 too long. The sooner 7 is buried, the quicker MS can move forward.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 08:41:02 PM »

JX I am still enjoying my Win7 Pro and the fact that it runs everything without a problem, I am still waiting for my PC world to crash as you predicted!  Oh and no encrypted data packets going out.  

When you finally figure out you missed the boat it will be long out of port. You do not understand that WIN 32 API is a dying API as it has been replaced with a new API since 8x that currently supports legacy API apps. I suspect though that by Win 11 that support will be gone just like WIN 16 was dropped long ago. Win 7 has no support for new API and never will. Stay with 7 is kinda like staying with WIN 98 when XP rolled out. WIN98 was a sinking ship and so is 7 you just do not realize it yet.  

Windows XP on day one was clearly better from a user stand point than Win98.  Thats why adoption of it was so quick.  That is not the case with Win10, it's more of a you might like it or you might not if your already a Win7 user.

As for me missing the boat, thank God I did not listen to you and buy a ticket for the Win8 Boat  Wink  That ticket costed good money and the accommodations stunk  Cheesy

You fail to realize that even as we speak numerous organizations and people are not going to move to Win10 so long as the spyware remains intact.   Thats why if you go right now to DELLS website you can order a corporate PC with Win 7 Pro on it just as easily as you can buy one with Win10.   You also fail to realize that Microsoft can do nothing so long as the Win10 market share remains low.  You cannot convince any software developer to dump Win7 compatibility or drivers when Win10 only has 19% of the market share!   That software company would be writing software that could only be sold to a maximum of 19% of windows users.

The Death of Win7 will be determined when Microsoft can reach a magical number that convinces developers to abandon making software for Win7.  In the meantime there is very little MS can do about Win7 lingering on for many more years.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:22:30 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 02:15:14 AM »

Quote from: WW7KE
Bob Dylan's Positively 4th Street, especially the last verse.

well-played OM
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »

Between your post and this article from InfoWorld, I think I'm going to have to just remove Windows 10 Pro completely from my laptop and use Linux Mint exclusively.  I haven't booted into Windows for about 3 months, so I haven't received this "update," and I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

One day you will realize t moving to GNU/Linux is quite an upgrade from Windows.

Rick KK4GGL
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 08:50:59 AM »

JX I am still enjoying my Win7 Pro and the fact that it runs everything without a problem, I am still waiting for my PC world to crash as you predicted!  Oh and no encrypted data packets going out. 

When you finally figure out you missed the boat it will be long out of port. You do not understand that WIN 32 API is a dying API as it has been replaced with a new API since 8x that currently supports legacy API apps.
You don't get to tell anyone what they do or do not understand.
I suspect though that by Win 11 that support will be gone just like WIN 16 was dropped long ago. Win 7 has no support for new API and never will. Stay with 7 is kinda like staying with WIN 98 when XP rolled out. WIN98 was a sinking ship and so is 7 you just do not realize it yet.
A sinking ship? W7? Hardly.
You are convinced
You don't get to tell people of what they are convinced.
that there is a secret agenda with 10 but only agenda ia dumping 7 because MS has to move into new cross platform world. & has zero future there and MS is behind curve because it clung to 7 too long. The sooner 7 is buried, the quicker MS can move forward.
MS needs to be buried.

Rick KK4GGL
W4JCK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 10:11:05 AM »

Win 10 has certainly become a contentious issue.  I passed on the free upgrade.  For me there was no compelling reason to switch to the newer version.  From my perspective, that's all it was - "newer".

As someone else noted, if you've been using computers awhile, the next update is around the corner.  I started with PC DOS 1.1 and have pretty much been through all of them, even the DOS 4 fiasco and the pitiable Windows 1.0.

For those who have upgraded to 10 and are satisfied, jolly good.  It's your computer, your programs and data, you should damn well run what you want to on it.  If you liked Vista or Win 8, good for you.  Again, it's your computer and only you know exactly how you want to use it.  I've still got a couple of DOS programs I need to run from time to time.  These were custom programs so there will be no new versions.  I keep a Dell laptop with XP Pro just for those programs - such is life.

I don't have any inherent fear of a particular API - I've seen these change multiple times.  If it affects something I do and perceive a need for, I'll address it when and if I want to.  I certainly don't lose sleep over it.

All this almost reminds me of the Commodore vs Atari or Apple vs PC arguments of days long ago.  It all was "fun" depending on the camp you were in, but it invariably changed nothing.  I subscribe to the notion that if it's your computer and you're happy with it and it does what you want it to, "nuts" to anyone who tells you differently - regardless of what operating system you use.

So, let the great debate continue.  It's fun to follow, but as Ricardo Montalban once said, standing next to a Chrysler Cordoba - "I know my needs".

K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 02:08:37 PM »

One day you will realize t moving to GNU/Linux is quite an upgrade from Windows.

JX has long since drank the Kool-Aid. He thinks Linux is a crippled OS but, in reality (and somehow beyond his capacity to discern) it's far and away better. Linux is truly the Swiss Army Knife of operating systems. I was once asked by a client to configure a router that can log every connection attempt by time, the server, and the IP address and computer-name. With Linux there are open-source utilities that can do all this easily. The first week she got my report she gasped and turned white and told me to stop logging. Apparently all the top executives were doing things that were firing offenses according to corporate policy. (Later, the top executives installed their own ISP connection to go around the corporate make an end-run around the corporate LAN and there are now 6 WiFi routers in the plant.)

I just had yet-another client get hit by a ransomeware that propagated by the same trick most of them use. Outlook hides the file type (the three letters after the dot in the file name). So myphoto.jpg.zip looks like myphoto.jpg.

Linux does not hide that file extension.... so, if nothing else, a user could at least see that it's not a real photo.

But the capper is that Windows will automatically execute that file based on the .zip extension. And it will automatically execute .exe, .bat, .jar, and a host of other files BASED UPON THAT EXTENSION. And so, with one click the file server that user shares with 75 other people in the organization is encrypted. And if they don't have backups they pony up a Bitcoin (or more).

Linux, of course, doesn't execute .exe or.bat files at all. Even executing .jar files is impossible unless the user has been stupid enough to allow it by changing the permissions in the file system.

JX doesn't know any of this. His opinions are solidly grounded in MS marketing speak.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »

I just had yet-another client get hit by a ransomeware that propagated by the same trick most of them use. Outlook hides the file type (the three letters after the dot in the file name). So myphoto.jpg.zip looks like myphoto.jpg.

Linux does not hide that file extension.... so, if nothing else, a user could at least see that it's not a real photo.

There are no "extensions" in a Linux/UNIX filename.  A period is just another character in the filename, as far as the OS is concerned.  Any use of ASCII characters after the last period is by the application software.

But the capper is that Windows will automatically execute that file based on the .zip extension. And it will automatically execute .exe, .bat, .jar, and a host of other files BASED UPON THAT EXTENSION. And so, with one click the file server that user shares with 75 other people in the organization is encrypted. And if they don't have backups they pony up a Bitcoin (or more).

Linux, of course, doesn't execute .exe or.bat files at all. Even executing .jar files is impossible unless the user has been stupid enough to allow it by changing the permissions in the file system.

By convention, a file ending in .exe gets associated with WINE, if it's installed.  It should never be used to indicate a Linux executable, even if permissions are set that way.  Unless WINE is installed, nothing should happen when a .exe file is double-clicked.

JX doesn't know any of this. His opinions are solidly grounded in MS marketing speak.

He probably does, but he still prefers to pimp an inferior OS, made by a company that has seen far better days.  My laptop runs far faster under Mint 17.3 than under Windows 10 Pro.  The only thing that doesn't work under Mint is the touch screen, and I don't care about that.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »

anyone have a "how to set up Linux Mint for Dummies" link?  i tried once but think i got a bad copy of Mint and now i kind of feel like i am on a Moon landing and if i mess up there goes the oxygen...

after i set up dual boot, if i like Linux Mint and dont mind any resulting sacrifice -- can I end up killing Windows completely and taking back the space?   Smiley

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: