The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lastest Win 10 build Installed  (Read 16918 times)
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 04:56:31 PM »

anyone have a "how to set up Linux Mint for Dummies" link?  i tried once but think i got a bad copy of Mint and now i kind of feel like i am on a Moon landing and if i mess up there goes the oxygen...

after i set up dual boot, if i like Linux Mint and dont mind any resulting sacrifice -- can I end up killing Windows completely and taking back the space?   Smiley

My own thoughts, have a good look on youtube for dual booting. The UEFI bios can be a pain.
Lucy managed it on the Lenovo she bought last November.

She has to press F12 at startup to get to Grub (the universal  bootloader) or it boots into Win10.
She has not ripped 10 out yet but I know she is warming up the chainsaw
If you find that you don't need Windows. By all means, rip Windows out, as said further up.
Its your computer, no one elses

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2016, 05:58:21 PM »

As for me missing the boat, thank God I did not listen to you and buy a ticket for the Win8 Boat  Wink  That ticket costed good money and the accommodations stunk  Cheesy

I still use Win 8x on two devices and always will. Win 8x is WAAAY better than any WIN7 OS big time. Rock solid and it supports old and new API apps. Those that knock 8x never bothered to learn it. Many of those same ones thought Metro was a OS when it is merely a shell that you do not even have to use. I am typing this on a WIN8.1 netbook.

The ticket that stunk was XP/7 as they sold them way too long and it has cost MS a lot in new multi-platform world.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »

JX I don't know what was wrong with your Win7 installations but mine are all rock solid and I have over two dozen applications installed on my home machine and work station at work.

The reason MS sold Win7 for so long was because it was fairly solid and they had just come off of the Vista disaster and did not want to take any chances.  Seems they were correct because Win8 might have cost them the company had they not pre-sold 60 million copies before it's release.  It's interesting that just today MS stock finally hit back it's high point that it had in 1999.  Of course when you adjust for inflation long time investors are still seriously in the red.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:08:31 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 08:29:25 PM »

anyone have a "how to set up Linux Mint for Dummies" link?  i tried once but think i got a bad copy of Mint and now i kind of feel like i am on a Moon landing and if i mess up there goes the oxygen...

after i set up dual boot, if i like Linux Mint and don't mind any resulting sacrifice
 -- can I end up killing Windows completely and taking back the space?   Smiley

there is indeed, several of them:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
it's written for win-8x but does apply to win-10 as well.

note: that it's written for a dual_boot setup, though.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2016, 10:39:57 PM »

Installing and setting up any OS is not for the faint of heart, but Linux Mint is far better than Windows.  For one thing, you'll only have to reboot once after the install, and one more time if you need an NVIDIA graphics driver.  The last time I installed Win 7 Pro from scratch, it took 7 reboots.  XP Pro took 10 reboots, since not all drivers were available on the generic CD I had (it was an IT-department-made PC in both cases, not a name brand where the drivers for that machine were included on the CD).

Mint is easy to install, but it is not like Windows in any way (THANK GOD!!!!!! Grin ).  If you have another OS installed and you want to keep it, along with Mint, you have to learn to use partitioning software.  Mint can do this for you, but you might have to delete one or more Windows backup partitions (HP is notorious for maxing out partitions for no reason) and shrink the main Windows partition (the C: drive) in order to make room.

after i set up dual boot, if i like Linux Mint and dont mind any resulting sacrifice -- can I end up killing Windows completely and taking back the space?   Smiley

Back up anything you want to keep to another drive, of course.  Then you can tell Mint to use the entire drive if you want to.  Personally, I think that one partition for everything is a big mistake, because if that partition crashes, you lose everything.  If you separate the OS from your own home directories, at least you have a better chance of recovering your data.  It's happened to me more than once, where the root partition crashed, but my /home partition remained intact.  You can recover from a live version of Mint, mounting the drive partitions as needed and copying what can be saved.  I suggest the following (assuming your hard drive is /dev/sda):

/dev/sda1:  Swap file, which should be the size of your RAM.  Some people think this is no longer necessary with modern machines with larger RAM, but I've always found that every once in a while it still gets used.  But the old rule of the swap file being twice the RAM size is long obsolete.

/dev/sda2:  Your root, or system partition (the C: drive in Windows-ese).  Doesn't need to be any more than 50 Gb in any case.  Most Linux distros fully install in 20 Gb, but if you want to add things like LibreOffice (the one that comes with the distro is usually too old), or Chrome/Chromium (same thing -- the provided one is too old), you'll need the extra space.

/dev/sda3:  Your home directory, using the rest of the drive.  User accounts go here.  It would be the rough equivalent of the D: (if you don't have a DVD-ROM drive installed) or E: drive (if you do) in Windows if you have more than one hard drive partition.

Since all that is probably as clear as mud, I suggest reading the installation guide.  If you have a spare PC to play with, then install it there first:  https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/MATE/english_17.3.pdf

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2016, 10:16:03 PM »

Well, Win 10 pro WAS working nicely. I have had it on my machine for about a month now.
I was getting to actually like it. Mainly because it booted much faster than Win 7 Pro did on my dual core laptop.

Then it tried to update today.
When it was done, no network connectivity was available.
Wifi didn't work, neither did the ethernet port. Tried to update the drivers. Win 10 wouldn't do it because it couldn't see a network. And nothing I could do would make it connect to my router.
But all the other devices in the house connected just fine, so I knew it was definitely the computer.
So, I backed up all my data files, pulled out the Win 7 restore disk and my USB hard drive with the system image on it,
and went back to Win 7 Pro.

Now everything works again.

Well, at least I have the digital entitlement for this machine, and I have an ISO image of Win 10 64 bit build 1511.
Maybe they'll get it to work better with a future build. We'll see. But for now, it's back to Win 7 for me.

73 de N8AUC
Eric

AB3LW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2016, 10:44:44 PM »

Well, Win 10 pro WAS working nicely. I have had it on my machine for about a month now.
I was getting to actually like it. Mainly because it booted much faster than Win 7 Pro did on my dual core laptop.

Wifi didn't work, neither did the ethernet port. Tried to update the drivers. Win 10 wouldn't do it because it couldn't see a network. And nothing I could do would make it connect to my router.
But all the other devices in the house connected just fine, so I knew it was definitely the computer.
So, I backed up all my data files, pulled out the Win 7 restore disk and my USB hard drive with the system image on it,

Well, at least I have the digital entitlement for this machine, and I have an ISO image of Win 10 64 bit build 1511.
Maybe they'll get it to work better with a future build. We'll see. But for now, it's back to Win 7 for me.

73 de N8AUC
Eric

that happened to me too, go to device manager and disable device, and then re-enable it. create short cut to it. so when it does this once in a while all i have to do is click the short cut and disable it. and click it again and it will re enable by it self.

thats what i did.

i really hate when it does that! (every other power on !)i should have stayed with win 7pro.

G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 04:08:45 AM »

Here we go again, back in November the Win 10 update wouldn't work with my multi-RS232 card. Eventually I found Amazon selling DeLock external USB to RS232 boxes which said "Windows 10 64 bit", bought one and it worked fine until yesterday when I updated my Win 10 to the Anniversary version...

To be fair to Microsoft, it appears to be the manufacturers of RS232 cables, boxes and cards that aren't bothering to test their products with the latest Win 10 updates. DeLock pointed me to drivers that are dated 2015, the ones I had been using were dated 2016.

If it wasn't for the RS232 requirement, I would be happy with Win 10, but for my needs the hassle is getting beyond a joke and I'm in the process of reverting back to Win 7 from an Acronis backup.

73 Dave
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2016, 05:50:23 AM »

73 de N8AUC
Eric

that happened to me too, go to device manager and disable device, and then re-enable it. create short cut to it. so when it does this once in a while all i have to do is click the short cut and disable it. and click it again and it will re enable by it self.

thats what i did.

i really hate when it does that! (every other power on !)i should have stayed with win 7pro.

I tried that. It had no effect.

It had to be a driver problem though. Because as soon as I restored my Win 7 Pro image, everything worked like it should.

Computers don't last forever. When this one gives up the ghost, I'll get a new one which undoubtedly have Win 10 on it.
Until then, I think I'll just stick with Win 7 Pro. That should give MS more time to get the kinks out of Win 10.
I just don't have time to waste wondering if my system will work right the next time I turn it on.

And just in case, I have an older laptop here that still has XP on it. Kind of an emergency backup computer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:54:07 AM by N8AUC » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2016, 06:50:20 AM »

Did you run the W10 compatibility test software from Microsoft before attempting to upgrade? I ran that on all my computers before attempting to upgrade. One failed the test (incompatible memory chips) so I didn't upgrade it. The other 4 computers (Win7) worked fine after upgrade.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2016, 11:13:05 AM »

Did you run the W10 compatibility test software from Microsoft before attempting to upgrade? I ran that on all my computers before attempting to upgrade. One failed the test (incompatible memory chips) so I didn't upgrade it. The other 4 computers (Win7) worked fine after upgrade.

Yes I did.
The test showed my machine (a Dell Latitude E6400) was 100% compatible.
W4JCK

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2016, 10:33:04 AM »

It's gotten a little quiet.  No one else has the "Anniversary" update?
Well, I bought a brand new computer yesterday with Win 10.  I picked up one of those monster HP Stream 13s for $200.
It ranks right above an abacus hardware-wise.
I got it to tinker a bit with Win 10 - we only have one other 10 machine and it's my wife's - one of those laptop/tablet convertible thingies she wanted.  I only use it when asked (usually when there is a problem and there have been a number of those) - she has it the way she wants it.

My end goal is to remove 10 and install Mint 18.  I never thought I would go down the Linux path, but it's now a valid consideration.  I was happy to leave the Command Line behind with DOS and 4 wonderful years of SCO Xenix.  I wonder how the general public will react to MS wanting a monthly fee for the OS in a year or two?  But who knows, maybe that will never happen.  Not to stir the pot or anything...

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2016, 10:42:21 AM »

I just applied from 1511 to 1607 to another laptop here that originally shipped with 7 and 8 when I got it. I had no issues other than it resetting default browser.

KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2016, 07:21:23 AM »

Win10: installed two machines (one upgrade from Win7/Pro64 and one clean install) with latest updates applied. Only problem I have is after some hours IE11 crashes (excessive memory usage) with multiple tabs open in one browsing session (maybe 6 or so). If I catch it early enough I can just close IE and restart and all is OK. Otherwise, PC locks up and I need to hit power switch and reboot. It's annoying and never happened with Win7/Pro64. Anyway, it runs all my previous s/w including (free) HRD v5.

Win7: <not ham related> One machine remains on Win7 and will never be upgraded until I can no longer use it for whatever reason, mostly due to MS decisions. That PC runs Windows Media Center which is my cable box (with installed cable card from Comcast). I really like the interface and with 2nd 2TB drive installed, I have a whopping DVR storage. I cannot run PLEX, XBMC or similar because WMC does one thing that nobody else can (yet). It can stream live TV broadcast using a cable card. Only MS was licensed to do that. Too bad MS dumped WMC with Win10.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2016, 07:32:10 AM »

Only MS was licensed to do that. Too bad MS dumped WMC with Win10.

It should still be supported with 8.1. Microsoft allowed Media Center from 7 to be added to 8x manually but not with 10.

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: