The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lastest Win 10 build Installed  (Read 17747 times)
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2016, 07:58:02 AM »

I've now installed win-10-AV on a few machines, all laptops.
and in all cases, the upgrade had to be "pushed" to get it started,
as I'd not wanted to wait, for any "auto update" to occur.

the update tool, was downloaded from a Microsoft site,
and it took 40Min to download it.
then it took another hour to install it, re-starting three times.

there are some people who have said that they installed it in 15 -20 min,
and if that is to be believed, then they must have a seriously fast 'net connection,
& be running some fairly spiffy machine, as well.. ..
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2016, 08:16:52 AM »

It's gotten a little quiet.  No one else has the "Anniversary" update?

It's gotten quiet because the update was not very exciting. I installed the 1607 release on two machines about a week ago. One was a HP G62 that was originally purchased 6-7 years ago and had Windows 7. It was updated to Windows 10 this past January, and has been working fine ever since. The other is a HP Beats that came with Windows 10 pre-installed. Both were 64 bit machines running the "Home" edition. It was purchased this past December, and has been working fine.

The download took a while, but after that, it was pretty quick. I noticed a small change to the Windows menu and I has some issues with the desktop. Other than that, there was no difference from before the update. All of my applications still worked fine. I did turn off all of the reporting and skipped over configuring Cortana. I also deleted the Cortana link from the toolbar.

Win10: installed two machines (one upgrade from Win7/Pro64 and one clean install) with latest updates applied. Only problem I have is after some hours IE11 crashes (excessive memory usage) with multiple tabs open in one browsing session (maybe 6 or so). If I catch it early enough I can just close IE and restart and all is OK. Otherwise, PC locks up and I need to hit power switch and reboot. It's annoying and never happened with Win7/Pro64. Anyway, it runs all my previous s/w including (free) HRD v5.

I use Chrome as my default browser. But I can also use Firefox and Edge. My system doesn't even have IE11. A quick look around shows that IE11 is problematic on Windows 10. Is there a reason to stay with IE11? My systems are on all the time, but one of them I do put to sleep every night. But the browser is always running, with lots of tabs, and I have never seen a crash. Have you tried a different browser?

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2016, 08:32:27 AM »

I use Chrome as my default browser. But I can also use Firefox and Edge. My system doesn't even have IE11. A quick look around shows that IE11 is problematic on Windows 10. Is there a reason to stay with IE11? My systems are on all the time, but one of them I do put to sleep every night. But the browser is always running, with lots of tabs, and I have never seen a crash. Have you tried a different browser?

I still use IE 11 with 10. 1607 update kinda buried it from easy access but it is still available. I rarely use Edge as it is still a bit quirky and may not render some sites properly. I use Firefox or Opera and rarely use Chrome. Opera performs well on low resource machines too.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »

Only MS was licensed to do that. Too bad MS dumped WMC with Win10.

It should still be supported with 8.1. Microsoft allowed Media Center from 7 to be added to 8x manually but not with 10.

Yes, I didn't add that detail but unfortunately I didn't get the download for 8.1 when I had that OS (was free for a while and later cost $10). I could load the media center PC with 8.1 to extend support life but... a) I'm not sure if the WMC download is available from MS or anyone else now and, b) It won't matter too much if MS pulls the plug on remaining support for WMC, such as the online program guide (indispensable to operation, etc). They already deleted support for Netflix, although I can get to that directly on the web easily enough. If I cannot get the WMC download then I'll just run Win7 as long as I can. Since I use it exclusively for WMC and rarely go to other web sites on it, nor do any e-mail, etc, it's unlikely to be infected with any virus or malware.

Update: I missed opportunity for WMC (Media Pack) for 8.1 since the download link says it's no longer available:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3107057
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:03:24 PM by KC1BMD » Logged
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2016, 10:01:51 AM »

Win10: installed two machines (one upgrade from Win7/Pro64 and one clean install) with latest updates applied. Only problem I have is after some hours IE11 crashes (excessive memory usage) with multiple tabs open in one browsing session (maybe 6 or so). If I catch it early enough I can just close IE and restart and all is OK. Otherwise, PC locks up and I need to hit power switch and reboot. It's annoying and never happened with Win7/Pro64. Anyway, it runs all my previous s/w including (free) HRD v5.

IE11 was included with Win10Pro64 on my machines. Sure, I could try another browser if I get really annoyed Smiley.
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2016, 10:03:25 AM »

It's gotten a little quiet.  No one else has the "Anniversary" update?
Or maybe they all got the update, and got their network cards whacked like mine did.

I wonder how the general public will react to MS wanting a monthly fee for the OS in a year or two?  But who knows, maybe that will never happen.  Not to stir the pot or anything...
I refuse to pay someone a monthly fee to operate a computer that I bought, paid for, and own.
If that happens, it will be good bye Microsoft for me.

KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2016, 10:18:44 AM »

As to things getting "whacked" by the update, millions of users can't use their aftermarket web cams because of the update. Microsoft decided to drop support for MJPEG and H264, which has made Skype fail on devices that need to use those.

Here is a link to Paul Thurrott's site with an article about it. Thurrott and his associate, Brad Sams were not able to do their web shows. Microsoft apparently is not going to be able to fix the issue until September, after first deciding that they would do nothing.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/76719/microsoft-broken-millions-webcams-windows-10-anniversary-update

Ted, KX4OM
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:45:12 AM by KX4OM » Logged
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2016, 11:20:23 AM »

I still use IE 11 with 10. 1607 update kinda buried it from easy access but it is still available. I rarely use Edge as it is still a bit quirky and may not render some sites properly. I use Firefox or Opera and rarely use Chrome. Opera performs well on low resource machines too.

Yea, I found it. It is still there and works, but it isn't linked any where in the Windows Menu. But that's OK. I never use it anyway.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »

Update: I missed opportunity for free WMC for 8.1 since the download link says it's no longer available:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3107057

The Web is a big place with lots of mirrors and archives. You might be able to find it somewhere.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2016, 02:09:37 PM »

I had a bad feeling about upgrades but the price was free so eventually I put Win 10 on three laptops designed to work with Win7. I can not get drivers from Lenovo! I can not get audio out of the dock so I like to leave the phones plugged into the dock for easy switching of laptops. I rolled one back to Wn7, installed some drivers and lo, I can't get the driver that allows audio via the dock! I can work around it with a usb adapter I guess... big waste of time essentially. Win 10 isn't more secure without the newer Intel hardware anyhow... Note to self: keep the os the hardware shipped with and once it's working don't fix it...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: