The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrew wooden keyer  (Read 14114 times)
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2016, 08:49:07 AM »

WOW! Across the pond on a one tube hartley. Thanks for suggesting it Andrew. Here is the old monster. It aint pretty and a bit wobbly some nights but I guess I better not complain. My gmail is acting up so I am back to Yahoo. found yours and will pop you an email in a minute. Thanks again Andrew. I didn't know it was possible. I stayed at it till about 2330. Heard N2BE whom I believe I have worked before (BK event and perhaps Linc Cundall event). AA8V also was nearby where we were. However I was shooting for you so didn't bite on them.
73 donVe3LYX
(My fiddle is coasting till friday)
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2016, 08:57:14 AM »

it might even look nice

That is going to be beautiful. Nice choice of wood and brass is always nice.
Can't wait to see it.
donVe3LYX
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2016, 10:23:03 AM »

Don, Here's what your one tube Hartley sounded like last night on 7044 kc/s www.v-d-r.net/images/VE3LYX 130916.mp3 Distance was 3296 miles, 5305 Km. I assume you were using your LYX special sideswiper.
73, Andrew
PS, Why didn't I answer you???
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:25:08 AM by GW3OQK » Logged
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2016, 12:18:32 PM »

No The sideswiper won't key the big hartley. When I built it it was just trying to see if the idea would work and never considered  keying the hartley. Otherwise I would have built it somewhat more stoutly. The hartley is set up to key its power supply rather then the TX itself and for some reason the sideswiper doesn't like that so I was on an NOS J-38 Key I recently found in an antique mall in Kingston. Why key the PSU rather then the TX? With a self controlled single control power oscillator almost every lead is part of the tuned circuit whether you want it to be or not. By keying the PSU (HV side only) instead I was able to bypass some of the more sinful problems. I use the sideswiper on the Spy agent set and the little 40m transceiver I built in the manner of the old Weskit B-N1. It is very happy there. And it makes me happy too. However little will match this last adventure we have had. I am still pinching myself!
donVe3LYX
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2016, 03:40:49 PM »

Don, Here's what your one tube Hartley sounded like last night on 7044 kc/s www.v-d-r.net/images/VE3LYX 130916.mp3 Distance was 3296 miles, 5305 Km. I assume you were using your LYX special sideswiper.
73, Andrew
PS, Why didn't I answer you???

Well even my bad RX can pick out that signal and call. Its a little drifty and wonky sounding, but it is there. Well done guys.

@Don that one tube rig is not ugly, the timber grain looks almost as good as your dining table Smiley
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2016, 07:33:26 PM »

Curly maple.
Wonky is good for pre 29 rigs. Drifty is not normal for this rig . It must have been windy out as it is usually a swinging antenna that causes that.
donVe3LYX
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: