The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the smart phone ham radios death nail  (Read 6868 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2016, 10:50:30 PM »

I am thinking this might be the final straw that breaks the camels back.. First is was the internet now the smart phone and virtual reality is the next big thing.  I just believe ham radio is by the wayside like the buggy whip. But with that bieng said I will stand by Ham Radio 4-ever. Do not freak out..Wow

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/business/10digi.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:32:37 AM by KC8KTN » Logged
W4JCK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:20:38 PM »

I'll proceed on the premise that you were trying to reference "death nell".

And no, I don't see any correlation of the buggy whip article and the cell phone/amateur radio debate.
That debate has been going on since the mid-1990s (yes, there were cell phones then).
Did the 8 track, cassette, CD doom the vinyl LP?  Squashed it pretty good for awhile, but it never went away.  Hobby pursuits will generally outlast any major market transitions.  There are probably still a few buggy whip craftsmen around now - making products for folks restoring old carriages.  Amateur radio has never been a big market of any kind, in any sector.  It will last until the last hobbyist dies.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 01:08:35 AM »

Hobby pursuits will generally outlast any major market transitions.

Just look at the number of people running steam railways as a hobby and as a commercial enterprise because of hobbyists. In the UK right now, there are at least four new steam locomotives under construction......
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:04:16 AM »

I am thinking this might be the final straw that breaks the camels back.. First is was the internet now the smart phone and virtual reality is the next big thing.  I just believe ham radio is by the wayside like the buggy whip.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/business/10digi.html?_r=0

Take your smart phone and go text your one friend. That way you will not be constantly posting drivel on here. Roll Eyes

Those of us who enjoy ham radio are not going to give it up for a smart phone. Hell I rarely turn my cell phone on, let alone use it to communicate with other hams.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 07:03:58 AM »

I just believe ham radio is by the wayside like the buggy whip.

I guess that's why the number of licenses in the U.S. is at an all-time high ... and increasing each month. Cheesy

The outboard motor didn't kill off sail boats.

And BTW: It's "death knell".
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 07:47:48 AM »

Death Nail?

Trent Reznor might relate...
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 07:54:35 AM »

Everyone just take a chilly ice cube. Wow.. I have just noticed a slow down . Do not worry I will be here in the hobby for a very long time. And the virtual reality craze is on the horizon and then you can be anything you desire. Wow...
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:07:37 AM »

I'll proceed on the premise that you were trying to reference "death nell".
I sort of liked "Death Nail"...  Smiley

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KM4OBL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 09:23:03 AM »

If I thought amateur radio was on the way out, I would not have obtained my license late in 2015 and upgraded early in 2016.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 09:48:27 AM »

didn't Death Nell open for Rabies at woodstock?

look at Louisiana the past week, with a significant part of one three-letter carrier's cell network down hard in the flooding, .  ARES callout has helped rescuers more than the cell network did.  if you can get power, by any source, ham radio comes through when everything else fails. it's like The Connected Internet, but with hundreds of paths, all independent, and rotating call control.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »

I guess that's why the number of licenses in the U.S. is at an all-time high ... and increasing each month. Cheesy

It only because of a surge of interest in the new "CB" band with licenses that are near give away's and VERY easy to get. The surge will die soon.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 10:05:37 AM »

It only because of a surge of interest in the new "CB" band with licenses that are near give away's and VERY easy to get. The surge will die soon.
Funny, but the 'old' CB band is alive and well in many places - and many of its inhabitants don't care about getting an amateur ticket.

Sorry, folks - 20WPM and exams featuring difficult theory questions did NOT keep miscreants away from the Service.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 10:22:16 AM »

Horses and bicycles were replaced by cars, yet people still enjoy riding horses and bicycles. Radio is magic to me. A signal with the power of a night light bulb using a wire for an antenna can be heard on the other side of the world.. It is a fun hobby with so many facets.

Smart phones are boring to me. I have one out of necessity for work (ugh.. work leash).
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 11:37:28 AM »

Horses and bicycles were replaced by cars, yet people still enjoy riding horses and bicycles. Radio is magic to me. A signal with the power of a night light bulb using a wire for an antenna can be heard on the other side of the world.. It is a fun hobby with so many facets.

Now throw an FT-817ND on a bikepacking bike, ride out into the country, set up and work FD or another contest event.

If I had a stoker who was into radio I'd set up a Salsa Powderkeg with said transceiver, a smallish, rugged logging computer, gel cells and tuner/antenna on the rear rack...and we'd work the whole affair while underway.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:41:16 AM by N8YX » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 11:49:17 AM »

Funny, but the 'old' CB band is alive and well in many places - and many of its inhabitants don't care about getting an amateur ticket.

Oh its alive on HF for sure. It is very obvious if you listen around. In past it was code requirement and hard testing that kept them on CB, that barrier is gone now.

Sorry, folks - 20WPM and exams featuring difficult theory questions did NOT keep miscreants away from the Service.

What planet are you from, there is like 10x as many extras per ham ticket than when there was a 20 wpm requirement. That means at least 10x more "squirrels" (likely more) due to CB Extra class ticket being so easy to get it is a joke.

It is amazing how many try to sell the CB extra holder as having same experience/knowledge and respect for ham radio as the old school extra's that had to work to get their ticket which kept a lot of rif raf out.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: