The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icoms new IC-7610 Revealed  (Read 64379 times)
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2017, 10:50:46 PM »

Where's the radio?

Kraus

Quintessential radios seem to be on the way out at Icom marketing dept.........Icom are not totally daft, some time back they identified they were dealing with a kiddie market & triggered the sheeples with their kaleidoscopes.

Working a treat for them,  so.........

You've now got Yaesu trying to emulate the look in a bid to muscle in on the act too.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:08:54 PM by GM1FLQ » Logged
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2017, 11:17:04 PM »

That's as bad as these 'new' trucks I see. A four-foot bed and rear seating. I carry firewood and
broken refrigerators in my truck not people.

You want to carry people? Call a taxi.

Kraus

That's because they are no longer a truck but the obligatory fashion accessory for the sheeple moms to be seen in when dropping the brats off..........also, not forgetting the image conscious "I'm an oh so sporty outdoors action man" sector.......perfect add-on to go with their big oversize divers watch.   Grin
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:35:46 PM by GM1FLQ » Logged
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »

Hi

No the big trucks are there to hide the small size of their own tool, that is why i drive a fiat 500 hihi.
now back to the IC 7610, if i had the money to throw away, I would love to play with it, as i am very happy with the size of my own tool and little money , I still have my old FT857D.
A match up your nose tickles more then a finger hihi.

73 Jos
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2017, 08:56:05 AM »

I cannot imagine buying any Icom radio that does not have dual watch.
Dual watch once mastered can make sliding in and making tail end contacts a breeze.
I cannot even count the amount of times I have drafted a really big gun and snatched a difficult Atno in minutes rather than hours.

Rob

Just a Free FYI.The ICOM 7600 will do Dual Receive not just Dual Watch.If you are on two bands within the same pass band it works really well but it is not mentioned anywhere in the specs or manual.It actually works with two bands not within the same pass band as well but with a reduced sensitivity on the 2nd band.I can be on 17 meter & press dual watch & I can listen to my local friends on 6 meters when it is chose as my 2nd VFO.I use it quiet often when listening to 20 & 17 meters at the same time.The ICOM 7600 is an AWESOME rig & it NOT having the need for touching the display is a huge advantage & Plus to me & many others.It's not an iPad,Cell Phone,or Tablet so there should be no need in touching the screen & the number one reason I'd never own one.Love ICOM but in my opinion they are going backwards with the touch screen stupidity.I guess the next step will be a little ICOM colored box with no knobs,or buttons that plugs into a computer & we will call it a transceiver.  Shocked

Clayton
W4KVW
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2017, 05:18:28 AM »

Love ICOM but in my opinion they are going backwards ...............I guess the next step will be .............

radios with big silly screens that look like TVs and those that fall for it .............

will call it a transceiver.  Shocked

It's not an iPad,Cell Phone,or Tablet so there should be no need.........

for the silly big screens.

That's better  ................... Wink  ............... Grin
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 05:38:07 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2017, 11:35:43 AM »

We all are going by what the manufactures are claiming on there pre release press sheets, the Flex 6400 numbers are slightly better than the Icom's 7610 numbers but untill any of these radio's get lab tested it is senseless. Right now the Icom may be as much as late fall before it hits the street, its a pretty face with all the bells of a new cell phone, heck that is why the 7300 is soo dam popular, hams today seem to like the bells. The Flex 6400M I think we will not see till next year plus then you have a year for them to iron out the buggs which seem to be the mode almost all manufactures are going these days. MY Money would say if you dont need a touch screen the 6400 may be the winner cause the 7610 is in that $3500 plus price range which IMO is way above what two 7300 radio's would cost.
I strongly feel if Icom wants to compete they should look at sharpening there pen on the price of the 7610 but I think the use of the digi select filter is making the price higher that what they would like and without buying that much more band pass filter performance in the front end.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »

There's something about the standalone box radios that buyers are going to flock to.

I used to outfit engineering labs. I showed people the options available to combine the existing pc's that were already taking up bench space with the newly invented instrument cards that would plug into the mobo's. They all preferred we buy standalone boxes, with separate power cords, separate probes, etc. that just made the workbenches look crazy... I've posted about SDR kit rigs and gotten the response "you'll still need a pc and a soundcard" like it just would ruin radio for all of the future if I had a pc/soundcard involved, never mind that their box radios have a pc built in and they have a pc for logging already taking up space...

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2017, 12:23:03 AM »

There's something about the standalone box radios that buyers are going to flock to.

That's easily explained........

1. Sudden loss of bladder control at the mere mention of Icom and new model in the same sentence.

2. Unhealthy obsession with big screens with lots of colours.

3. Sudden onset of Iwant-Ineed-itus coupled with Dive-in-itus.

4. ..........  Grin
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:40:16 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »

FLQ got all excited when the OP mentioned "flocking to. It reminded him his 'flock' needed some of his special kind of love. ha ha

He loves them sheep.....

ron
N4UE
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »

Absolutely, but not half as much fun as them sheeples.  Grin
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »

I used to outfit engineering labs. I showed people the options available to combine the existing pc's that were already taking up bench space with the newly invented instrument cards that would plug into the mobo's. They all preferred we buy standalone boxes, with separate power cords, separate probes, etc. that just made the workbenches look crazy... 

I've also bought plug-in PC bus card based instruments. They're obsolete when no one want to mess with the old PC anymore. A standalone instrument is useful on the bench until it finally breaks. PC stuff is ok if you're willing to toss it after a few years.

Now picture someone trying to keep an old Flex 5000 running when PC's are up to Windows 20.

Jim K6JH
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »

I've also bought plug-in PC bus card based instruments. They're obsolete when no one want to mess with the old PC anymore. A standalone instrument is useful on the bench until it finally breaks. PC stuff is ok if you're willing to toss it after a few years.

Now picture someone trying to keep an old Flex 5000 running when PC's are up to Windows 20.

Excellent point! It may not be a problem for a business which will likely CR that 'instrument' after 5 years or so, but not Joe Ham.

73 de Vince, VA3VF
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »

Where's the radio?

Kraus

Quintessential radios seem to be on the way out at Icom marketing dept.........Icom are not totally daft, some time back they identified they were dealing with a kiddie market & triggered the sheeples with their kaleidoscopes.

Working a treat for them,  so.........

You've now got Yaesu trying to emulate the look in a bid to muscle in on the act too.

Hey, are you really accusing Yaesu of being AWAKE?  :-)
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2017, 04:32:11 AM »

Where's the radio?

Kraus

Working a treat for them,  so.........

Hey, are you really accusing Yaesu of being AWAKE?  :-)

No, wouldn't go that far - don't think they're quite up to full speed on the old sheeple triggering yet.
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2017, 06:30:57 AM »

This thread is nearly a year old, and no radio... It was in FFC cert testing.
I've personally taken radios, radars and even commercial aircraft SATCOM electronics through cert testing for CE, UL, ETL, and FCC marks. It's 3 weeks if it goes well and 6-8 weeks if there are issues. Only once did it take a year, the hardware needed a complete redesign to pass.

ICOM did or is doing one of the following:
1- announced the radio before it was even designed to put a wedge in the market
2- holding it back until the 7300 sells slow down (not likely)
3- redesigning to get under the new Flex Radio prices
4- failed the first time through requiring an extensive redesign
5- (deleted)
6- read FLQ's posts and is making the touch screen larger than the Maestro and working with google to add a browser

I go with number 1.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: