The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody tried Code Quick?  (Read 5464 times)
EA3HOE

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »

http://www.cq2k.com/index.html
What were your experiences?

Thanks,

Ton EA3HOE.
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 11:24:10 PM »

W4ARZ did, and he wrote:

CodeQuick 2000 Will get you your 5wpm. No question and no doubt about it. But read between the lines folks.. Look at the reviews here.
W4KTX says " ...and the sound alikes stay with you ""
KI4PBQ says ...but I can't get the sound a likes out of my head now ""
K9FE says ". The only problem is that you still have the silly sound-a-likes in you head. They eventually leave in about 5 years! "
N0HK says "the sound alikes get distracting. "even after almost two years absence from code, I still remember all of the characters because of the Code Quick. "

Now Put 2+2 together. Code Quick will get you your 5wpm BUT those gosh awful sound alikes....band rat a tat....A light is lit"... Mom in law ate it"... Catch it Catch it "... and more..just plant themselves into your mind and EVERY time you hear CW and try to copy it...the Sound a likes get in the way and keep you from moving to a higher speed.. It's literally brain washing technique to learn 5wpm cw and you know how hard it is to un-learn someone who has been brainwashed...to cite an example..extreme but true.
8 years ago I used this proggram and I passed the test easily..NOW I pay the price every day when I try to copy code faster then 5wpm

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:27:54 PM by PA0WV » Logged

EA3HOE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 01:02:06 AM »

Ok, so bad idea. Back to lcwo.net then.

Thanks!
AI8IA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 05:33:45 AM »

I'm not sure what these "sound alikes" are exactly, but I think I can relate. When I was learning 5wpm for my Novice exam in '89 or so, one of my friends was trying to help me. I was struggling with L and F and he told me to think of L like a song.... la LA la la... and to this day I cannot get that out of my head when I hear an L, it's so distracting! Smiley

EA3HOE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 06:11:37 AM »

BTW, do you know lcwo.net has a cool Android app? Now i can learn CW whenever i am doing nothing. Like waiting on an airport, etc. Follows the same letter order as the website and is presented as a challenge/quiz. Awesome and entertaining!! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iu4apc.morsemachine (and no, i don't benefit in any way from posting this link nor do i have any link to the author of the software).
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:06:08 AM »

BTW, do you know lcwo.net has a cool Android app? Now i can learn CW whenever i am doing nothing. Like waiting on an airport, etc. Follows the same letter order as the website and is presented as a challenge/quiz. Awesome and entertaining!! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iu4apc.morsemachine (and no, i don't benefit in any way from posting this link nor do i have any link to the author of the software).

Thank you!  That will be handy.  There are a bunch of "learn Morse code" apps, but this comes from a good source.

Now, if we could get an Android port of RufzXP . . .

.     Charles
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 11:45:07 AM »

Everyone learns best in different ways.  If Code Quick interests you and works, use it.

The most important thing about learning code, is: Just do it, and you will learn fastest by using it as often as you can.   Have fun.  b.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:34:26 PM »

This discussion about Code Quick and "Sound Alikes" emphasizes the mantra I've been saying all along......when you learn code using a gimmick method, you eventually have to unlearn something to copy code as it is used.

QAA sums it up quite well with the exception of the "if Code Quick works for you use it."  Can't go along with that. IMHO.

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 09:34:47 PM »

After downloading, and starting to use it, a comment:

It's really good at teaching _individual letters_.    But because it pauses for a while, after each letter is sent, waiting for a key-tap, it's not useful for "continuous copy" training.   In that mode, you must learn to "copy behind", listening to the next letter as you type (or write) the one just completed.

It's certainly worth its $1.50 cost, for anyone who's learning individual letters.

LCWO.net has several "continuous copy" options -- it's far more flexible. 

.          Charles

EA3HOE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 01:01:06 AM »

I use it whenever i have no access to lcwo. Like on a plane, on the beach, etc. ;-)
N4IAG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 05:23:57 AM »

OK, you guys can make fun of me, but I learned Morse code with Code Quick, 34 years ago. When I decided that I wanted to become a ham, I didn't have anyone to teach me, there was no Internet, so I taught myself. I didn't know any better when I saw an ad in QST for Code Quick and ordered it along with books on theory. Two months later passed the 13 wpm code and written tests at the FCC field office. If not for Code Quick I probably wouldn't be a ham today.

I suspect many people that criticize it are parroting what others say just because they learned a different way. I don't feel I had to unlearn anything, and simply became faster with more on-air experience. Learning code still requires lots of practice, no matter how one learns.

It may not be the best way to learn, but some people have been trying to learn code for many months, even years, without success. Not everyone is the same - I say if one can't learn with traditional methods, what do you have to lose?

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 08:39:42 PM »

Passed the 5 wpm code test after just 16 total hours (2 hrs per night for 8 evenings) & I passed with straight copy.I never wanted too ever learn CW because it gives me a headache.I rarely ever use CW & stopped the study after passing my General Code & Written Test.Two others using the same tapes & flashcards that I did also learned CW using the system.I only learned CW so I could upgrade even though the Code Test was about to be done away with when I passed the test.If it did not give me such a headache listening to CW I would have continued practicing but I did not.

Clayton
W4KVW
KI4ODO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »

I have never used code quick first off. But I have been told it uses the sounds like approach. Dog did it for D. This in my opinion is a terrible way to learn code if you want to be a CW op. Anything that makes you concentrate on individual characters that much is not going to produce an ability to have CW qso's most of the time. To learn the alphabet I used Just Learn Morse Code. It's sound based. The characters need to be a sound, not visual and not a comparison to another sound. It is it's own sound and rhythm. Then practice in sending and copying is what it takes. Time yes, but time well spent.

I learned CW after the requirement was dropped. I did it because I wanted to become a CW op. I learned sounds,,,it's that simple.

I can see how a sounds like approach could help one pass a 5wpm test, but not really for practical use on the air.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:26:48 AM by KI4ODO » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: