The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PicoKeyer Troubleshooting - Code Practice Oscillator  (Read 2729 times)
KW9W

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »

My Ultra PicoKeyer seems to be working otherwise. Although, I'm not hearing the bug when connected.

I've attempted to use CPO mode with an Ultra PicoKeyer, 3.5 mono connector on one end of the wires, and my Vibroplex Champion. The bug is working fine on a separate, different CPO unit. On the PicoKeyer, there's no sound for the dots/dashes. All the modes sound off as they should on the unit. The PicoKeyer is currently in G mode, and set for 9 WPM on the speed setting, and I've exited setup mode. The connector will plug into the middle jack, and nothing. Do I have to do something to wake up the unit before CW practice on the oscillator?

Thanks for any suggestions,

John - KW9W
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 07:57:29 PM »

From "first principles":

The bug is equivalent to a _straight key_.   So the PicoKeyer's speed setting is irrelevant.

. . . Are you wired correctly (and is the PicoKeyer set up) for a straight key?

. . . If you short-out the bug's binding posts with a wire, does the Picokeyer beep?

For most keyer jacks,  when used with a straight key, the "sleeve" is ground, and the "tip" is hot, and the "ring" (middle contact) is disconnected.  If that's how the PicoKeyer works, you may have a wiring problem -- an inconsistency between what the keyer expects, and what you have set up.

.   Charles
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »

The PicoKeyer is currently in G mode, and set for 9 WPM on the speed setting, and I've exited setup mode. The connector will plug into the middle jack, and nothing. Do I have to do something to wake up the unit before CW practice on the oscillator?

John - KW9W

The Picokeyer supposedly will automatically sense a straight key or bug. That is if a paddle has not been used previously with the Picokeyer.

To have the Picokeyer correctly sense a straight key or bug, the battery needs to be removed so the device will reset, or two buttons (the manual tells which) need to be pushed simultaneously to reset the device.

I wire my straight keys and bugs with stereo plugs so that I never have a problem with a transceiver or keying device properly identifying the type of key.
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:14:52 PM »

My Ultra PicoKeyer seems to be working otherwise. Although, I'm not hearing the bug when connected.

I've attempted to use CPO mode with an Ultra PicoKeyer, 3.5 mono connector on one end of the wires, and my Vibroplex Champion. The bug is working fine on a separate, different CPO unit. On the PicoKeyer, there's no sound for the dots/dashes. All the modes sound off as they should on the unit. The PicoKeyer is currently in G mode, and set for 9 WPM on the speed setting, and I've exited setup mode. The connector will plug into the middle jack, and nothing. Do I have to do something to wake up the unit before CW practice on the oscillator?

John - KW9W

It sounds like you are confusing the PicoKeyer.

The "G" mode is not for a "Bug". With the PicoKeyer, the "Bug" mode uses dual paddles to emulate a "Bug". It does this by disabling the automatic dashes from the dash paddle. This forces you to operate the paddles like a "Bug", where the dots are automatic and the dashes are manual.

For a Vibroplex bug, that uses only a 2 wire connection, you should be in the "S" mode (Straight Key).

Further, Vibroplex, bug can be used with a mono or stereo plug. When used with a mono plug and connected at power on, the PicoKeyer will sense the fact that there is a straight key attached. It does this because, a mono plug will short one of the paddle inputs to ground. However, if you use a stereo plug, and only use the "Sleeve" and "Tip", you will need to manually put the PicoKeyer into the "S" mode (Straight Key).

The Vibroplex bug will also be in control of the dot speed, not the PicoKeyer. And, of course, you will be in control of the dash speed.

Note that, it is possible to rewire the Vibroplex bug and separate the dot and dash contacts. If you then stifle the automatic dots, with something like a piece of foam, the Vibroplex key can be used as a single paddle key. However, you won't be able to take advantage of the Iambic modes.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
KW9W

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 04:31:34 PM »

Don't use the bug mode-emulator, got it. Straight key mode, or default settings will both work, I suppose.

Now I'm getting a 15 sounding off, and continuing to repeat when the mono plug is inserted in the back of the PicoKeyer. That's in straight key mode.

Still could use some help, here. I can be contacted at my callsign @arrl.net as well.

John - KW9W
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 05:08:02 PM »

I can only add this, directly from the manual. Maybe it will help.

Straight key auto-detection works only during power-on. You need to remove the battery, plug in the straight
key, then insert the battery. It’s a good idea to press the setup button for a second or two while the battery is out, to
make sure the chip gets completely reset.

Martin - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: