The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interfacing Kenwood TS-930SAT (S/N "307") to Ameritron AL-811H using ARB-704  (Read 1443 times)
WA4ZYN

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2016, 05:46:45 PM »

Well, the title states it.  I'm trying to run my AL-811H with my latest desk rig, the Kenwood TS-930SAT.  I have the Ameritron ARB-704, which I have used quite easily with my TS-480SAT and my TS-430S.  So far, I am having no luck getting the rig to key the amp using the '704.  I even got the specific cable for the "early model" TS-930's (mine is a 307 million) #PNP-7DK.  So far, I get no response, no flashing red LED, to show that I am controlling the ARB-704 with the cable from the rig.  I know the amp relay works, because I can short across the RCA connector of the cable from the amp, and the amp relay trips appropriately. 

Has anyone else had these problems?  I came across some information on page 32 of the TS-930S user manual that mentions changing a setting on an internal board (relay control?).  The diagram isn't large enough or detailed enough for me to make out. 

Any suggestions out there?  Thanks for any and all!

Thanks for reading.
Francis WA4ZYN
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 01:49:12 PM »

Check to make sure you are picking up a ground on the ARB 704. When I was using the ARB 704 with my Kenwood TS-850 the ARB 704 was not picking up a ground. Take the cover off the ARB 704 and measure the 12 volts inside. I drilled a small hole in the back of the ARB 704 and ran a ground wire out to a common ground..May not be your problem but check it out.
WA4ZYN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 06:18:42 AM »

Tnx,  CV. I have checked the 12V inside the 74, and it is good.  Will visit the ground idea when I get home from this trip.  With the AL-811H, what should the jumper settings be?  I didn't find the instruction sheet very helpful. 

Tnx, and 73,
Francis WA4ZYN
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 11:15:36 AM »

Has anyone else had these problems?  I came across some information on page 32 of the TS-930S user manual that mentions changing a setting on an internal board (relay control?).  The diagram isn't large enough or detailed enough for me to make out.  

If you change the setting on the internal TS930S board and enable the internal relay then the amp signal will come out on a different pin on the 930S DIN connector and you will need a non-standard cable. I made my own after I enabled the 930S internal relay.

I also noticed for some reason unknown that when you activate the 930S internal relay then the original 930S amp switching line becomes unreliable. This original line is switched by a bipolar transistor which also may not pull low enough for some interface circuits. It would not trigger the inhibit circuit on my DX Engineering 4 Square box for instance.

If you are still having problems I can dig out more data i.e. pin numbers etc

Mark N1UK

PS You can hear the 930S amp relay operating at the back and probably see it pull in. I would open the case and take a look. If the relay is operating then you will need a custom cable. You can change the jumper to prevent the relay operating and then your standard cable should work with the ARB-704 just fine where it will be switched by the 930S internal high voltage transistor
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:30:50 AM by N1UK » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: