The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a sked with someone tolerant.  (Read 5270 times)
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »

If you dont mind using echolink or skype even I would be more than happy to practice listening to bug key. I need all the practice i can get HIHI. Like you OP i am a doer, radio is about doing, its about doing with others, making friends and building community, not practicing off air till i am an expert. If i waited till i was an expert at all things radio, i would never get on the air at all.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 07:52:09 PM »

KO4JY I forgot to commend you on using the bug. For me, and I do enjoy straight key, electronic keyer and paddle, they are all wired in parallel, as you can see on the video on my QRZ page, I also had fun trying to make them sound the same at least on QRS... BUT I have to say if I was *forced* to choose between only ONE key, I'd keep the bug. I love the flexibility and expressiveness and also relaxedness of using a bug: "everything that is not a dit is a dah" to quote my own saying Grin and while some don't think it is "real" CW, I think it is "best" CW! Yet, I enjoy "perfect" CW too, just as I can enjoy classical music and electro music, Soul music and dance music. But it's not everyone that's for sure. Using a bug you also have the nice advantage of only having those who have truly mastered CW able to follow you with ease  Grin but the reason I'd opt for the bug if having to have only ONE key is because with it, I can send more or less as a straight key using the dah side only, and it is mechanical and does not need electricity or batteries, yet, can go fairly QRQ. Great choice OM and I'd say so long as you don't run characters together, use your own style(s) and don't try to send "perfect" CW, a bug is there to have SWING!

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 08:23:28 PM »

If your spy radio is crystal rather than VFO, you would be worth a lot of bonus points.
Well it is crystal controlled. Unfortunately I have only 3 for 40M  7050, 7140, 7145 khz. Since the spy rig is the only 40M CW rockbound rig I own I guess that will have to do for now. Why not? I hate adding to my ID for one thing.  I do a bit of contesting . The Bruce Kelly for self controlled oscillators with 1929 and earlier type tubes and the Linc Cundall event.
Unlike your Bug (I have a 1923 Vibroflex also) my keyer makes the dahs automticaly instead of the dits. You'll hear it when we work.
donVe3LYX
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:28:10 PM by VE3LYX » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 09:22:44 PM »

I fail to understand as well why some of you get hostile when I or anyone else asks a legitimate and logical question. 

Take all the bandwidth you want. I could't care less.  We rrreaallly don't want to get into a pissing contest here so let's say we just drop it?
KO4JY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »

If you dont mind using echolink or skype even I would be more than happy to practice listening to bug key. I need all the practice i can get HIHI. Like you OP i am a doer, radio is about doing, its about doing with others, making friends and building community, not practicing off air till i am an expert. If i waited till i was an expert at all things radio, i would never get on the air at all.

I'm willing to do skype. I'll have to make sure my account is still active. I haven't used it in years. I agree it's all about meeting new friends and building community. I looked at your page, I'm interested in your Ardunio logger. I've been playing with Ardunio for a few years now.
KO4JY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 09:46:53 PM »

I fail to understand as well why some of you get hostile when I or anyone else asks a legitimate and logical question. 

Take all the bandwidth you want. I could't care less.  We rrreaallly don't want to get into a pissing contest here so let's say we just drop it?

I assume this was directed at me. I apologize.

I felt that I made a pretty simple request and was chastised for not doing something else. I see this a lot in Ham discussions not just on eHam. I saw recently on a FB group for Ham Radio, a gentleman asked about using a simple continuity tester to check just made cables instead of his ohm meter. It was a simple device with a loop on one end and a go/nogo led on the other end. After 3 responses people were telling him to buy a Time Domain Reflectometer.

I just wanted someone to work CW with me who understood that I was not perfect like all of the contesters out there. Suddenly, I was being told how I SHOULD hone my CW skills. I learn best by doing. Listening to myself, taping myself or anything else. I've done. I want to actually have interactive conversations over CW. That's all I wanted.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 03:04:30 AM »

my keyer makes the dahs automticaly instead of the dits. You'll hear it when we work.
donVe3LYX
More info please, sounds intriguing. You have to manually make the dits but not the dahs? What model keyer is it, and is it electronic or mechanical? I'm trying to think of why there is an advantage in making dits manually and not dahs...

Support CW and join CW clubs. QTT: FIST#1124, HSC#1437, UFT#728, RCWC#982, SKCC#15007, CWOPS#1714, 30CW#1,
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 10:20:40 AM »

It is posted on a thread below. I made it (invented it I guess) developed it and use it every day. It helps me. Why? I because I wanted to see how it worked once I realized I could do it. The dah created  is mechanical in design.  I don't wish to enter a heavy discussion on is or is not an advantage. In fact it doesn't matter to me at all. I built it for me. It works, nicely too. I was just giving him a heads up that he will be able to hear it. A mechanically created dah always sounds the same. It varies with speed change but still is always the same multiple of a dit. It is a curiosity and the exploration of an idea I had thought about for a long time. I just had an opportunity to make it and took advantage of it.
I agree KO4JY. I am willing when you are on. And I wont complain. Not being anywhere near perfect myself. Just let me know.

donVe3LYX
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:16:57 PM by VE3LYX » Logged
PA0KDW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 12:10:49 PM »

I find that I get better by doing so I'd like to set up a sked with some tolerant hams to hone my sending and receiving skills. I'll warn you, it's not going to be pretty at first. But, I really want to get good at CW and with the bug. I'm planning to operated in the SKCC sprint this weekend and could use some practice before then if anyone is up for tonight or anytime tomorrow.

73 de KO4JY

Hurray for KO4JY

I, aged 90+ , got my drivers licence 70 years ago.
I find that I get better by doing so I'd like to set up a drive  with some tolerant driver licensed cars in traffic  to hone my driving skills. I'll warn you, it's not going to be pretty at first. But, I really want to get good at the steering wheel  and with the pedals. I'm planning to operated in the local sprint this weekend and could use some practice before then if anyone is up for tonight or anytime tomorrow.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:13:20 PM by PA0KDW » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2016, 09:37:21 PM »

JY:  I wasn't chastising you for wanting to get on the air and practicing with your bug.  I just couldn't understand why you wanted to do it that way.

To me, connecting this to KDW's analogy about driving a car......it would be like not being able to drive or simply reading all the books you can on driving and then getting one and pull out into traffic and "have at it!"

I do understand about the nervousness and all of that.  I was quite good with a J-38 until I tried my first contact and it turned into a disaster.  I just couldn't understand how this was going to work with you and the bug.....which to me was a bitch to learn.

At any rate, I do wish you the best and hope it works out for you. 73 & CL.
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 11:57:08 PM »

Hi Paul AXW, I was driving my Mum's car around our yard and also in the Outback when I was 10, and I "flew" an F-27 with around 30 PAX a short distance between Adelaide and Kangaroo Island's Kingscote on auto pilot when I was 11 -- the pilots let me twiddle the knob and bank left and right...  Cheesy those were the days! Don't think it harmed me but helped me, and didn't harm anyone else... I'm sure practicing CW on air on the "main road" e.g. CW exclusive 20m band when wide open would not be great idea nor on 30m, but there are plenty of quiet bands and frequencies where even some practice won't hurt anyone, and I say in such circumstances the more the better... hand sent CW is absolutely to be encouraged as I know you will agree, the massive growth in the use of decoders and the often concomitant misuse of keyboards is a different matter. Looking forward to bug QSOs with you both some fine day! Just had a great surprise on 20m with TZ4AM answering a CQ... and giving great honest report, dipole to dipole long path, so for the 5th day running 20 is in great shape. 73 de Lou

W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2016, 09:09:24 AM »

I felt that I made a pretty simple request and was chastised for not doing something else. I see this a lot in Ham discussions not just on eHam. . . .
I just wanted someone to work CW with me who understood that I was not perfect like all of the contesters out there. Suddenly, I was being told how I SHOULD hone my CW skills. . . .

Welcome to the eHam CW forum.  This forum seems to have been hijacked by intolerant militant high speed operators who need to ensure that the standard for CW operation is their standard. 

Just remember that 95% of all hams do not operate CW.  The rest of us welcome you to our QRS ranks.  Don't pay any attention to the five or ten ops that dominate this Forum and think they know better than everyone else.  They know who they are, too.

Personally, I enjoy QRS operating.  Anytime.   Email me for a SKED, I am good on QRZ. 

73, Joe W3TTT
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 05:52:44 AM »

This forum seems to have been hijacked by intolerant militant high speed operators who need to ensure that the standard for CW operation is their standard. 
Hope you're not including me in that Joe? I'm a QRQ but also QRS and I always slow down and assist and encourage newcomers on air. You say not to follow some people in here their advice, but surely Old Timers should share their experience and advice with newcomers. I agree that sometimes it is odd stuff and appears pedantic, but surely anyone can do their research, and question any advice and discuss it if they feel it is wrong or unqualified. So hopefully you will jump in if any of that minority give wrong advice, and correct them (us?) :-)

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: