The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Operating CW qrp from a semi tractor  (Read 5103 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 10:04:50 PM »

Your license allows you to experiment with a variety of antennas and configurations and discover what works and what doesn't.

I have thought of a few.  I might drag my full sized dipole out with me.  Less convenient with a full sized choke baling and all, but I can hang it from one end of my trailer to my cab.  Probably not efficient, but something has to work. 

Jerry
   It's worth a shot!  You may want to try using an end fed as well. You could use some telescoping fiberglass poles as temporary supports!  Lots of hams take them along for portable operations. 
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 03:55:49 PM »

If anyone is on and near south bend, in, can you check 7107.0 and see if you can hear me please?  I am operating nvis dipole.

Thank you

Jerry
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 04:05:01 PM »

Arm now, moving to 7103

Time is 7:05 pm eastern.
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 04:26:36 PM »

Well, I'm getting out as my callsign was on the reverse beacon.  I just don't know how well it sounded.  I'm a little worried about the quality of my signal.
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 04:40:35 PM »

Still here
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »

It was worth a shot.  At least I know my radio works.  Not too sure about the NVIS dipole.  It seemed to work like a regular dipole but only 7 feet off the ground.  I had around 6 different hams spot me on the reverse beacon.  After 2 hours of calling cq and no response, I gave up for the night.  Better days ahead I hope.
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 01:51:06 AM »

Take a look at where the stations who heard you on RBN actually are. That will give you an idea of where your signal was going.

The catch with NVIS is that you pretty much need to be operating below the critical frequency. Not sure where the critical frequency was over your way when you were trying, but here at the moment it appears to be below 6MHz, so NVIS on 7MHz is probably not going to be too great (though I might get some short skip), but 5MHz or 3.5MHz would be worth a shot.
KD9BWS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 07:19:21 AM »

Take a look at where the stations who heard you on RBN actually are. That will give you an idea of where your signal was going.

NY, NH, CT, MA,VA and OH. 

749 miles for NH from Mishawaka, IN.  I didn't think I was supposed to get that kind of distance with NVIS. 
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »

Your antenna's clearly putting some low-angle energy out, even if a lot of the energy is going almost straight up. That's not entirely unexpected, though.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: