The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-480 HX Installation  (Read 12470 times)
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 06:42:58 PM »

What's the final consensus please, getting back to my original question. 480 is mounted flat.  Is it going to hurt it being mounted flat but bottom side up?
Thank you

Not sure why you decided to mount it upside down, it takes up the same space right side up, but as long as you have it in the L-bracket holes where it has air space between it and the surface below, I don't see it making any difference.

Mounting on a flat surface doesn't seem to make any difference either. Sitting on a desk only sits it up about a 1/4" on the rubber feet.

My TS-480HX has resided happily mounted on a flat plate underneath the drivers seat of my Dodge pickup for 6 years worth of Texas summers.  Whatever airflow the L-bracket allows underneath,  about 4" above and open front and rear.

If the radio needs more airflow, the fans kick on. That's what they are supposed to do. Unless I'm really hammering it in a cw or RTTY (parked for RTTY) pileup, they rarely come on.

Provided you DO have airflow underneath the radio (no feet on the top Smiley), it will be fine, imo.

73, Tom
N5MOA
AB9TA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 02:23:31 PM »

When in doubt, consult the Kenwood manual, (written by the folks who actually designed and made it) found here: http://images.kenwood.eu/files/images/products/product_id_258/file_category_10/TS-480HX-TS-480SAT_Instruction_Manual.pdf

The manual does not speak to any unusual installation requirements as far as orientation. However, the installation drawings do show it sitting flat, i.e. horizontal. The only thing they emphasize is to ensure adequate airflow around the installation. The radio has cooling fans that should pull in enough air cool it in any orientation, and it can sense high temps and shut itself down for protection. So, you should be OK there.
A "hanging" mount has a lot going for it, for example, it's useful to keep the transceiver off the floor where mud, water, or errant feet could damage it. An under the seat mount is a good way to go.
Based on the information in the manual (unless there's another Kenwood manual to look at somewhere), I'd say to install it in whatever way works best for you, just make sure it's a solid mount (no projectiles!), and that air can get to it, i.e., follow the clearance recommendation in the manual.

73!
Bill AB9TA
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 11:59:31 AM »

Not sure why you decided to mount it upside down, it takes up the same space right side up, but as long as you have it in the L-bracket holes where it has air space between it and the surface below, I don't see it making any difference.

Thanks for all the replies.  I knew some would ask "why is it mounted up side down"?

Short answer is I used 2-1/2" #12 Stainless Steel Sheet Metal Screws to screw the mount to the inside of the truck.  That worked very very well, however the hex head was slightly to large and the radio bottomed out on the screw head and did not allow the screws that hold the radio to the bracket to align right side up, but they fit great with the radio upside down.
I "could" drill new holes in the mounting bracket if it would jack up the radio being upside down, but if not, as mentioned by you fine folks I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

By the way I used Breed love Mounts and they are beautiful pieces of art. A 3/8 Ball, a PL-259 and a NMO, drilled through the roof, pulled the headliner down, ran 2" braided copper straps, 2" flat copper, bonding bonding bonding.   Seems to be going OK so far.
VE7REN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 10:54:48 AM »

ive owned 3 of these radios.. and everyone was in a mobile install.. vertical install I may ad.. less room behind the seats in these newer trucks than the past.. I opted this way for what I think was a better cooling method,and dust intrusion vs laying flat on the floor mount... ive never had a problem in 10 yrs, my thoughts..
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: