Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'DXCC PROBLEM' TRNC WITHOUT DXCC ENTITY  (Read 1270 times)
1B1AB

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2007, 02:26:08 PM »

A BRIEF HISTORY OF AND TURKISH REPUBLIC OF NORTHERN CYPRUS.

The Turkish Republic of North Cyprus (TRNC) was formed on 15th November 1983. It is a parliamentary democracy under the President.

It covers an area of 3.355 sq km and has a population of just over 256,000, predominantly Turkish-speaking though English widely used in the main cities and resorts. The currency is Turkish Lira, traffic drive on the right, laws are base on to English and Turkish code of laws, amateur radio prefix is 1B.

Because of the commercial importance of its geographical situation in the Mediterranan,the island of Cyprus has, throughout history, been subject to colonisation. It was accupied consecutively by Egyptians, Hittites, Phoenicians, Assyrians, Persians, Romanians, Byzantines, Lusignians, Venetians and, finally in 1571, Turks.

In 1878 the island was rented to Britain and in 1923, as part of the Peace Treaty of Lausanne, Turkey accepted the annexation of the island to Britain who, 1925. pronounced it a Crown Colony.

Greek Cypriots in Cyprus started agitating for the cessation of British governance in 1931. As a result of continuing violence, a Republic of Cyprus was created in August 1960; Britain, Greece and Turkey were guarantors of its independence.

From the outset, however, the Greek-dominated administration aspired to unite the whole island with neighbouring Greece, with the subsequent forced removal of Turkish Cypriots.

In 1974, after years of increasing oppression and violation of human rights of the Turkish population, the Turkish Government exercised its rights under the 1960 Treaty to despatch a military force to Cyprus to protect Turkish Cypriots.

The subsequent conflict resulted in a military stalemate, and in November 1983 the division of the island was formalised by the creation of the Turkish Republic of  Northern Cyprus.

Attempts to reconcile differences and reunite island as a federation of two states have been made ever since, the latest initiative being the UN Annan Plan for reunification –In an island-wide referendum, however, 76% of Greek Cypriots rejected the Plan, while it was approved by  65%  of  Turkish  Cypriots. Efforts  to  find  a  solution  continues, without  any  encouragement  from Greek  part  of  the  island, still 76% of Greek Cypriots opposing  unity of  North and South Cyprus, it looks like result of this separation of two parts and existing of TRNC   permanent.

73’s de 1B1AB Soyer Ecesoy
1B1AB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 02:31:03 PM »

I feel that the final vindication come from ITU  HQ in Geneva ,when the International Amateur Radio Club, 4U1WRC operator on 2/11/2007 at 14:12z , called me for a CW contact on 14.016KHz.  How gratifying was that ? Thank you Brenner KI4PRK for the most rewarding QSO in my log book. In light of the above , I feel vindicated and comfortable in using my present callsign. I urge all Hams to establish the good conduct code and end this on-going argument and enjoy our camaraderie for which we are noted for. Put away our differences and begin to look forward to our next 'new' contact on the air.
As Englishman say "What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander "
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: