The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is a new operating coming out?  (Read 12929 times)
AB3TH

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2016, 02:59:42 AM »

Why wouldn't the server be part of the system in your friend's house, rather in China ...

I would also think that such a system would be fairly easy to build with a few Raspberry Pi boxes...

In principle, true.  Most people don't have the expertise or interest in fooling around with dynamic DNS and hosting their own servers.  So, the vendor provides a solution.  My friend is an IT professional.  Fully capable of doing his own server but he doesn't want another hobby.  He just wants 24/7 monitoring to see if his father falls down or whether the nurses show up.  There are several cameras and you could see what's happening when you're dressed or not and whatever the nurses were doing.  I personally would not care for that lack of privacy and the possibility the data could be hacked as it gets blasted around the world.  If/when I get to be 97 I might not care.  Could I do a home server?  Sure.  Could I do a 'reasonably secure' home server?  Not sure about that.  Probably not.  Not with the kind of effort I'd have available.

Cloud computing makes the tacit assumption that the provider knows more about computing and security than you do.  I don't think that's a good assumption.  Many large and presumably competent organizations have had security problems.  From Yahoo to the US government.  There's also the profit motivation.  Providers want something that's marketable and profitable.  Whether that's the best technically and whether it's really secure, maybe not.  You get locked to a specific provider at least for a while.  Transition costs are substantial and services on all cloud providers are not the same.  It isn't all that flexible in reality.  The US government is making a great rush to cloud computing.  DoD included.  I think there will be problems.  Take a bunch of contractors anxious to make money and say whatever they please to get a sale.  Couple that with government agencies with uncertain technical expertise, much of which is already done by contractors, and who have strong political motivation to cut costs.  Will this really be cheaper?  Will it live up to the marketing hype?  What could go wrong?

KI7AQJ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2016, 07:09:05 AM »

I am still using Windows 95, 98 XP, and 7 on some machines. I bought a serial port communications service monitor that runs on MS DOS, so it was not exactly a very desirable item at auction, but on the old Compaq she performs quite admirably. MS is going to beat Win 10 around like a dead horse for another 3-5 years before they start to think about how to screw everyone over once again. Hey! At least it is not as bad as 8 or 8.1, or Vista or Millennium, or NT, or 2000, or Vista. I got stuck buying a laptop on the road that came with 8.1. What a steaming pile that was! I went back to 7 then it automatically upgraded to 10. 10 is kind of like dumbed down Win 7. You need to go through an extra step or two to get into anything to adjust or set it up in the OS, or BIOS, or control panel, or.... On the upside Windows 10 does seem to self diagnose better and fix itself somewhat than Windows 7. Windows 8 and 8.1 were just horrific disasters, that looked like some sort of smart phone marketing garbage, with those ridiculous tiles that were mostly links to online shopping. That 8.1 was a hideous OS and the worst thing MS ever squeezed out & pinched off into the market. I still have some prepentium machines that do super mundane stuff like sweep audio freqs, and monitor IEEE-4888 GPIB equipment from the 1980s! I am not a wealthy man, so if it ain't broke.....
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2016, 12:41:06 PM »

Thanks for the guidance and all opinions.

I just obtained a new pc (early xmas gift), it has Windows 10.   Won't use until March, 2017,  I'm still doing taxes with my Window 7 machine.  Sure hope the SignaLink USB does digital with Window 10 ?

Ken KC8Y
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2016, 04:26:12 AM »

I'm still doing taxes with my Window 7 machine. 

I have not done taxes on a Win 7 machine for several years. Been using 8x.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2016, 05:18:23 AM »

I'm still doing taxes with my Window 7 machine. 

I have not done taxes on a Win 7 machine for several years. Been using 8x.

Whats wrong with doing an important ongoing job on a system you are familiar with and then do the whole 2017/8 tax returns on the new machine? At least he has much less chance of losing anything from this year's returns and getting stung by the tax man.
It's not a matter of Win7 versus Win10 but keeping everything together

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making me profane since March 2017
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 12:10:54 PM »

Whats wrong with doing an important ongoing job on a system you are familiar with and then do the whole 2017/8 tax returns on the new machine? At least he has much less chance of losing anything from this year's returns and getting stung by the tax man.

Your tax software will work just fine on 8x or 10. It is without merit to think otherwise. Authors of the major tax software packages always support newest standards (unlike some old Ham programs or other poorly written software).  It is a very poor excuse for sticking with a 10 year old OS design that is less secure than newer OSes.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2016, 12:43:15 PM »

Your tax software will work just fine on 8x or 10. It is without merit to think otherwise. Authors of the major tax software packages always support newest standards (unlike some old Ham programs or other poorly written software).  It is a very poor excuse for sticking with a 10 year old OS design that is less secure than newer OSes.

Tax software should be fine on Win 7 also.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: