The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Observed apparent non hams using 2M band edge frequency in Marion Iowa.  (Read 3665 times)
AD0AR

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:21:54 AM »

Last night (10-25-2016) I was playing around with my IC-7000 after retuning the preamp in my B3016 amp I just rebuilt when I saw a pip on the bandscope on my radio.  It  didn't seem right as it was right at 148Mhz band edge. 
  I listened for a bit. It was two individuals conversing and testing mobile and HT radio range in Marion Iowa.  Over 20 minutes of them range checking and not once did I hear a callsign.  Next time I will record the audio.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 11:00:20 AM »

Hunters, I'll bet. Possibly poachers.

Your DNR would likely be interested in hearing about it if this is the case.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 04:49:53 PM »

CBers and freebanders.  As more and more inexpensive radio equipment becomes available from China, we will see more and more of this occurring.  When dirt cheap HF radios from Asia start flooding the market, you can bet that they will be on (and around) the HF bands as well!
AD0AR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:32:05 PM »

I distinctly heard two individuals, one who was more knowledgeable than the other.  The clueless one said that he could hear on one of the radios better than the other so he had 2 handheld radios.  The smarter one said that he is sure that the Yaesu would work better than the Baofeng and that was what was being observed.  Frequency of use was 148.000 Mhz. 
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 08:48:43 PM »

Perhaps only one was licensed and as such realized that he couldn't enlist his buddy to help him with some A/B test on normal simplex frequencies for fear of exactly what happened, happening. Possibly figured that being all the way at the band edge, no one would notice (obviously NOT). If the radios were capable of out of band operation, that would have been the case and since "legal" gear stops transmitting at the band edges, that's where this Einstien took it.

Look up whoever has a license close enough for where this simplex test took place vs the OP station location and I bet that will be the noodnik. A bit of calculational exercise should narrow it down a bit. That is, if anyone even cares to take the time to do all that and hazard a guess.

Not the crime of the century for sure. That is about to occur on November 2  Grin Shocked

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
AD0AR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 09:42:52 PM »

Urrr.... Marion is right next to Rockwell Collins.  Impossible to sort through all the hams in that area on a license search....
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 11:39:32 PM »

Oh, well, the rest of the theory seems plausible.

<cue mythbusters theme>

KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »

Following on the point that more and more cheap Chinese radios are pouring in here...it's not only that.  Remember that hams are also selling their rigs at hamfests all the time and nobody that I know is asking to see the buyer's amateur license; cash is king.  I go to a few hamfests in my area and there are always people buying rigs who apparently don't seem to know the first thing about ham culture.  When asked, these guys say that they are about to take their test, or are waiting for their general ticket and are building their station.  When I see the same guys buying rigs and things every year with the same story you have to be suspicious and most of these guys are Hispanic. Have you noticed an increasing number of Spanish speaking stations engaged in nets and ragchews all over the HF bands?  I do speak enough Spanish to know that these guys are not signing and even those that do occasionally sign say nothing to discourage the pirates they speak with.  Although a number of these Spanish speaking stations are situated in the Caribbean and south of the border, many are right here in the US speaking with their friends and relatives and are not signing.  I have heard countless QSOs going on all the time on 14300 and 7300 right on the band edge and even outside the band...yes Spanish spoken and no call signs given.  There also seems to be a disproportionate number of female Spanish speaking operators as compared to English speaking female operators.  No, I firmly don't believe this to be a coincidence as they appear to be independent users not under anyone else's control operator status...of course they don't use call signs either.  With all this illegal use the invasion of our ham spectrum is definitely under way.  The ARRL never mentions this and keeps it's head in the sand lest they be accused of political incorrectness.  Ham radio has been in decline for a while and it's no secret.  At this point the floodgates are wide open for disintegration of ham radio. Only those living in a dreamworld think ham radio remains a viable service as first envisioned.  Ham radio is the new CB...I give it five years at best.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 11:27:27 AM »

We have Deer Hunters every year all over the 2 meter band.They have even figured out how too program in our local repeaters & they get on them as well.It's been going on here for about 10 years & we have had ZERO success at getting anything done.We have more & more of them every year & local CB Shops have the 2 meter mobiles sitting on their shelves with a sign that reads "HUNTING RADIOS".The charge well over $100 more than what they can be purchased at many dealers such as HRO but these hunters don't know about HRO & other stores just the CB Shops.We have hundreds of 2 meter antennas on vehicles in our little rural community & just a couple dozen Hams & only a dozen of those Hams are active so we know those are not Hams with all of those antennas.The 1st weekend of General Gun Season is approaching & the 2 meter band will be alive with Non Licensed users.I have received two emails this week from other hams who live in counties near me whom are seeing the same issue & have ask for assistance but I really doubt that the Government could care less & that's why a license has never been required for purchasing Amateur Radio gear.If it were it would only cut back on a few.

Clayton
W4KVW
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:30:42 AM by W4KVW » Logged
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »

Perhaps only one was licensed and as such realized that he couldn't enlist his buddy to help him with some A/B test on normal simplex frequencies for fear of exactly what happened, happening. Possibly figured that being all the way at the band edge, no one would notice (obviously NOT). If the radios were capable of out of band operation, that would have been the case and since "legal" gear stops transmitting at the band edges, that's where this Einstien took it.

Look up whoever has a license close enough for where this simplex test took place vs the OP station location and I bet that will be the noodnik. A bit of calculational exercise should narrow it down a bit. That is, if anyone even cares to take the time to do all that and hazard a guess.

Not the crime of the century for sure. That is about to occur on November 2  Grin Shocked

What is happening on November 2? I know of something on November 8,2016 but November 2 escapes me?  Huh Huh

Clayton
W4KVW
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 02:47:10 PM »

We have Deer Hunters every year all over the 2 meter band.They have even figured out how too program in our local repeaters & they get on them as well.It's been going on here for about 10 years & we have had ZERO success at getting anything done.We have more & more of them every year & local CB Shops have the 2 meter mobiles sitting on their shelves with a sign that reads "HUNTING RADIOS".The charge well over $100 more than what they can be purchased at many dealers such as HRO but these hunters don't know about HRO & other stores just the CB Shops.We have hundreds of 2 meter antennas on vehicles in our little rural community & just a couple dozen Hams & only a dozen of those Hams are active so we know those are not Hams with all of those antennas.The 1st weekend of General Gun Season is approaching & the 2 meter band will be alive with Non Licensed users.I have received two emails this week from other hams who live in counties near me whom are seeing the same issue & have ask for assistance but I really doubt that the Government could care less & that's why a license has never been required for purchasing Amateur Radio gear.If it were it would only cut back on a few.

Clayton
W4KVW
  And they certainly buy lots of brand new ham gear as well!  The fact that they are unlicensed makes them even more immune to regulation or fines.  Just look at the huge number of "Freebanders" worldwide who operate above and below CB frequencies.  They have their own clubs with web pages all over the internet, and they even create their own "call signs"!  When 10 and 11 meters opens up, you will hear a huge number of them chatting away, as compared to the amount of 10 meter activity by hams.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:50:03 PM by ONAIR » Logged
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 03:05:25 PM »

What is happening on November 2? I know of something on November 8,2016 but November 2 escapes me?  Huh Huh

Clayton
W4KVW

Oops! I stand corrected, the 8th it is. Not sure which brain cell flatulated that!
(yes I know flatulated isn't a word. neither is destinated, but that doesn't stop its misuse)

WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 10:54:38 PM »

No matter who wins on Nov 8 us, the American citizens will be Destitute and flatulated on.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 10:09:33 AM »

No matter who wins on Nov 8 us, the American citizens will be Destitute and flatulated on.
   True, but unfortunately some citizens will be "flatulated on" more than others!!    Huh  Shocked
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 03:37:23 PM »

True, but unfortunately some citizens will be "flatulated on" more than others!!    Huh  Shocked

Well being a Proud Southern Deplorable I think that November 8th,2016 went quiet well.I could not be happier other than come January 20th it will be much better as far as myself & millions upon millions of Deplorables in America see it. Come on January20th & get here will you. hehe haha LOL  {:>)  Cheesy   Wink

Clayton
W4KVW   
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: