The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "We Took Apart [$199] Beats Headphone and Here's What We Found"  (Read 3664 times)
AB3TH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 03:29:36 PM »

Marketing apparently works wonders.  That's why Starbucks is still in business.  I don't buy Starbucks and I don't have any Beats products and I don't understand marketing at all.
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 04:42:45 AM »

And the beat goes on...
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 06:24:31 AM »

Yah, I guess they have to be great headphones if Dr. Dre uses them. WOW ! Hah,hah.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:26:44 AM by SWMAN » Logged
AB3TH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »

Anyone who listens to "Dr Dre" doesn't even understand the concept of music and I have no sympathy if they buy headphones for 20 times their actual value.  Start with noise.  Have some yo-yo record it with extensive compression and deliberate distortion.  Then compress it into mp3 and introduce audible artifacts.  Didn't start out as music.  Doesn't end up as music.  Doesn't matter what you play it on.  Same with 99.9% of everything they call 'music' these days.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 09:03:39 AM »

I am assuming that these supposed hi-end phones are being used on your rig.  I swear by my three sets of WWII aviator headsets same model used by B-17 pilots ...General Savage (Gregory Peck) you know... Each was made by the various contractors but the same exact specs; I don't remember the model number.  Mine were made by Shure, Western Electric, Kellogg, and there were others.  If you find these at a hamfest or SK auction, buy them.  Great communications quality and well suited for ham use for sure.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 12:05:53 PM »

... I don't have any Beats products and I don't understand marketing at all.
Same thing convinces people to spend money on bottled water, when you can get all you want out of a tap for virtually nothing.  And you don't know for sure if the bottled water is in fact unleaded. 
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »

Anyone who listens to "Dr Dre" doesn't even understand the concept of music and I have no sympathy if they buy headphones for 20 times their actual value.  Start with noise.  Have some yo-yo record it with extensive compression and deliberate distortion.  Then compress it into mp3 and introduce audible artifacts.  Didn't start out as music.  Doesn't end up as music.  Doesn't matter what you play it on.  Same with 99.9% of everything they call 'music' these days.

As a longtime rap music fan, I've noticed that the quality of rap music has gone WAY down since the switch to mp3/digital delivery. In the old days-when Dre was on top of the charts-rap actually had some quality to it, such as varying beats and more melodic lyric delivery. Today, it's basically just a few simple notes on a loop fronted with very basic delivery. Personally, I think it's due to the fact that digital music compression ends up throwing out about half of a typical pre-digital song in the name of saving hard drive space. So, the industry simply took most of the melody out of the music, and stopped pushing more complex popular music formats such as electronic/rave music. In places like Japan/SE Asia and parts of Europe where mp3 never really caught on, more complex music is still popular.
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 01:39:05 PM »

I studied music in college (jazz and classical), play 4 instruments, and have been a recording engineer.

And- I've produced hip-hop for paying clients.

Music has value whether you "get it or not". Criticizing an art form because you do not understand it definitely devalues you- because artists always write from their perspective and experience.

So when a black guy uses a beat box and rhymes to express himself in the way hip-hop sometimes does- you can expect he didn't have money for a guitar but wrote about what he saw around himself.

From that perspective, if you cannot at least understand the art, then you're just closed minded.

Putting a Shatnerologist in a room full of ordinary people is like putting a velociraptor in a room full of wiener dogs.
KT4NAZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 02:12:35 PM »

I studied music in college (jazz and classical), play 4 instruments, and have been a recording engineer.

Music has value whether you "get it or not". Criticizing an art form because you do not understand it definitely devalues you- because artists always write from their perspective and experience.

So when a black guy uses a beat box and rhymes to express himself in the way hip-hop sometimes does- you can expect he didn't have money for a guitar but wrote about what he saw around himself.

From that perspective, if you cannot at least understand the art, then you're just closed minded.

I'm definitely closed mined!  When someone states its O.K. to kill someone else, that out of bounds!!!
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 03:09:19 PM »

I'm definitely closed mined!  When someone states its O.K. to kill someone else, that out of bounds!!!

Well that's definitely situational right? I mean it was ok to kill the North Vietnamese? Iraqis? A robber with a gun? Putin? A convicted murderer? In self defense?

Those rules tend to break down in places like Crenshaw, Compton, Etc.

Just because you do not believe it, or think it justified, doesn't mean it doesn't happen or won't show up in art. Artists write about what they see or experience. They are simply the messenger.

Back in 1992 I had a lot of hip hop flowing through the studio- at varying levels of talent. If you talked to the "gansta guys" they would tell you stories about thug culture which really made you think. They lived in a place where the police shot first- mostly at kids, many of whom had nothing to do with illegal activity. That actually tends to feed the gangs. So the kids initially formed the groups to defend themselves. That's why they go in.

Having grown up in a north suburb of Chicago I was pretty green concerning these issues. I was surrounded by Jewish and Italian kids growing up. No one ever bothered us. We were friends with the cops. But the cops were friendly.

These kids had a different reality. I didn't find that out until I took a night stick upside my head (for nothing). Just driving with long hair and a bunch of guitars for an inner city gig.

The point was really driven home when a Christian Hip-Hop group came to the studio to record an album for a church. They walked outside for fresh air. While milling around 6 cop cars showed up with guns drawn. They put these kids on the ground and frisked them. For no reason.

In another neighborhood it would have been a bullet. Not that the illegal search wasn't bad enough.

So when you hear gangster-rap- you hear an exhortation to the murder of the police. When I hear it I hear the frustration of someone who may not have a choice given their circumstances.

Ironically... the same is true of all art. Some people see the Mona Lisa as one thing... others see it differently. Art is emotional candy- it makes you feel.

If hip hop makes you angry, you can try to understand the perspective of the artist, or just remain angry.

But if the art had an effect on you- the artist met his/her goal.

Putting a Shatnerologist in a room full of ordinary people is like putting a velociraptor in a room full of wiener dogs.
KT4NAZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 03:59:32 PM »

It does not make me angry.  Just don't try and shove your perspective down my throat!
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 04:00:23 PM »

It does not make me angry.  Just don't try and shove your perspective down my throat!

If I was going to do that- I'd have at least bought flowers Smiley

WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 07:46:48 PM »

d'oh!

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: