Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VP6DX was LOUD!!!.....  (Read 15757 times)
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 01:34:20 PM »

"I can certainly understand their wanting to maximize rates to Europe "

Yea, finally, some understanding.

"Face it, for rare locations, the East Coast isn't exactly a favored target."

Then move...or get a bigger station. Your fate is in your own hands, don't blame the DX.

"There are hundreds, if not thousands of EU ops with more power and bigger antennas than most NA hams will ever have."

Wrongo, there's more of us, we're closer and there's more of us that have more than the majority of EUs have.  You just need to join the club.

"I'm completely in favor of opening it up and letting the strongest get through, period."

That's not fair.  Besides, this isn't like it's the very first time that Ducie's been activated; more like the fourth time.  Dont' you have them from before?

"If it's a limited-time operation like BS7H and 3Y0E were, fine."

But they're going to be there for at least 12 more days.  That's almost two weeks more and only a week into the opn you're already bitchin?

"The net result is every EU who wants Ducie on 40 and 80 gets them; meanwhile, anybody in the eastern half of North America who works for a living"

I'm in the black hole of the Midwest and I work and I'm getting them everywhere I try.

"and wants them on the low bands has to take a day off work"

No, the low bands are only open during the night-time; taking a day off of work will only allow you to take a nap, not work them on the low bands....unless you hop a flight to EU !!

"stay up until 3-5am or get up at dawn"

Get up early.  Need a trick to help, before you go to bed drink three glasses of water; you'll be up around 1-2 am and they'll be loud and CQing.

"and disturb the family if the radio's not in the basement, etc."

Move it into the basement.  You don't need to scream into the mic.  Or get a voice keyer and operate off the filters.  Good DXers find a way...you will too.  Chill out folks...sheesh.
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 04:52:49 PM »

"That's it..I've decided to throw up a 120' tower like every other Ham in the U.S. has, & do nothing 24 hrs a day but eat, sleep, (and you know what else)..DX!..I've been a slacker...But I'll soon have WEHOT (worked every Ham on Tristan) before I know it!.." I won't have to "try" for the DX..I'll buy it with the latest fabtabulous equipment money can buy!

..(soon to be) Super Duper Ham"

GodSpeed Super Duper Ham!
                     ;-)  and..73' Tom  N3ZC
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 05:21:34 PM »

Welcome to the club Tom.  Now you'll just get disgusted with all the whiners and complainers who can't get their way and only complain about it rather than do something about it (something they have no control over unless they go on the DXpedition themselves, which they can) and teach us all how to do it proper.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 05:23:16 PM »

.I'll buy it with the latest fabtabulous equipment money can buy!

Trust me, it's not all that easy.  VP6 and TI9 are, but other DX isn't so easy with only a 120 foot tower.  
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 05:24:54 PM »

They're on 40M CW to US right now 0123Z on 2/15/08.

You can do CW, right?
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 06:16:01 PM »

CW?..I DO fool a lot of folks with this (Gold)Begali Signature sitting here...But yeah, I know..ya really need a 200' tower (120' isn't quite enough)..But all kidding aside..I know it ain't easy..120' tower, 1.5KW, SteppIR MonstIR, etc..it won't be much, but I'll have to start somewhere, & that'll get me the basic Ham setup, (my foot in the door)..gotta lose this crappy old SteppIR BigIR here (could only get 60 radials down..what was I thinking??) that I worked BS7H, N8S, & the others with..I can do even better with bigger, more expensive stuff! Also gonna lose the 1/2" Andrew Heliax I use..gonna get some REAL line..RG 58..the REAL HAM line!  ;-)

Anyway... just checked.. EU only (0200) ..I'll get em' this weekend...

Happy Hunting!
                          73'..N3ZC
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 06:42:36 PM »

Update!..0242..still working only EU on 40M CW..
Also...Just checked 40M SSB .. 7093..listening down..should I go get em?..Oops, sorry..calling Eu only there too...

Hmmmm?...Oh well..Good Night All!
                73'...N3ZC
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 06:49:08 PM »

Tom, I understand your frustration, but what good is it to bitch about it here in a public forum about something you have no control over and have no influence over except to spout off to the world who and what you are?

Yes, with a smaller station that is not geographically located well like you have, you'll have to work at it.  I've been there, they've been there, we all have been there.  You HAVE to make the best with what you have.

Yes you can throw the cat around and complain to yourself and go to Dayton and display your frustration to the same ops but this isn't the first DXped to that island and THEY are fulfilling their mission to bring it all to EU because EU didn't get the same chance the last three DXpeds.  Did you work any of those?

If not, well, welcome to DXing in 2008.  If you did, then you're just looking for band fills and obviously can't complain if you don't get one you need since you have at least one contact already.  Right?

The biggest station ever is nothing if the DX isn't there.  I suggest you email the pilot stations for this DXped and tell them your frustration; that may/will get you your desired results.  Less than that, I'd eat crow and keep to yourself.  And wake up early one morning and you'll get them and can join the club.  I'll be up again tomorrow morning; will I see you there?

Phil  KB9CRY  (Was a little pistol for over a decade and now a bigger little pistol and still loving DXing)
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 07:08:33 PM »

KB9CRY - my comments weren't sour grapes. I worked VP6DI on a whole bunch of bands a few years ago and the only ones I really NEEDED was 160 CW plus RTTY, which I've already done.

"Face it, for rare locations, the East Coast isn't exactly a favored target."

>>Then move...or get a bigger station. Your fate is in  your own hands, don't blame the DX.

Now that's just foolish. Every DXer on the East Coast is supposed to have QTHs on all four borders of the country(maybe remote-bases instead of actual houses)? Get real. And "get a bigger station?" I could be running stacks of monobanders and enough power to light up Buffalo NY, but if the DX isn't working us lowly Americans, what good is it.

"There are hundreds, if not thousands of EU ops with more power and bigger antennas than most NA hams will ever have."

"Wrongo, there's more of us, we're closer and there's more of us that have more than the majority of EUs have."

Maybe in sheer numbers there are more of us, but I think a far greater percentage of EU ops are running QRO at a level far beyond what we're legally allowed to (whether they're legally allowed to, either, is another matter).

"I'm completely in favor of opening it up and letting the strongest get through, period."

>>That's not fair.

The hell is isn't. Fair is everyone gets an equal chance, every band, every mode. What's unfair is spoonfeeding DX, which is precisely what this is. Besides, who said life's supposed to be fair? Is it fair that stations that have $100k invested and have A-1 ops have to QRX because someone else is being spoon-fed?

>>Besides, this isn't like it's the very first time
>>that Ducie's been activated; more like the fourth
>>time. Dont' you have them from before?

I do, but lots do not, and my comments are in support of DXers from anywhere who've managed to put together a reasonable station and want a decent shot at these guys on 40 and 80.

It's the team's right to run their operation however they like. Great. That's said, it's a given and firmly understood. They've done a fantastic job IMHO, on  the upper bands and 160. What's happening on 80 and 40, though is preventing a lot of "journeyman" DXers from having a realistic shot at getting in their logs.

Me? I can stay up late or get up whenever I like; that's not an issue. For guys with families, young kids, jobs with long hours, etc, it's more of a problem. What will happen is they'll miss out on a chance at a low-band Q because their responsibilities to job and family won't allow them to be QRV between 3 and 6am. Meanwhile, the universe stands by because another group gets to go to the Front Of The Line. Nuh-uh.

It's a completely different story when the ONLY window on ANY band between two points in the circuit is an hour or two, at best, and maybe long-path at that. That's complete common-sense for the strong areas to hold off an hour or two a day when they have 24x7 propagation normally. Think BS7 to North America, with JA's holding for 2 or 3 hours, or St. Paul or Sable to JA with NA standing by. Cool and "fair" (jeeez, I hate that word).

What's needed is common sense by both the Deserving and the DX. There are three areas of the world to concentrate on; two will always be easy, one will always be hard. Usually it's easy to manage except when Europe and North America both share a darkness path to the DX. Very few operations seem to strike the right balance, and invariably loud hams from the continent that gets the short end of the stick will raise a ruckus. To me it seems the best solution is to accommodate both groups as best you can by not having one QRX for too long. What's wrong with an hour for NA, an hour for EU, or CW for EU/SSB for NA and vice versa? Something like that. Besides, I'd still rather it be Loudest Signal Wins, period, regardless where you're from. THAT is "fair" in my books.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 07:15:31 PM »

After sitting and listening for hours to VP6DX working Europeans only (which apparently includes South Americans,JA's  and everything else except W's and VE's), I give up.  If they don't want to work me, screw em!  I can understand them taking ten minute breaks to listen for only specified parts of the world, but not for hours on end.  Frankly, they really piss me off!  I've wasted too much time listening to "CQ EU only."  If you feel the same way I do, please go their website and let them know how you feel about it.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 07:19:24 PM »

Peter my comments weren't directed at you but your arguments are not valid.

They will be there ANOTHER 12 DAYS (sri for the shouting).  

Don't you think we ought to hold off on bashing the operation until it's over.

What if, just what if, next week, they totally concentrate on the US and totally ignore EU and JA?

Everyone with a wet noodle ought to be able to work them.
What if everyone does?

Will you be man enough to come forth and state that you were totally wrong about them then?

That is the true question.  I'm growing tired of you few who seem to have such problems?   Yes a true DXer will find the time in between work and family and everything else to work the DX when they have the chance.  

This is the true test.  Seems like some aren't up to the task?!!  Nothing personal on them, but some just aren't able to muster the courage and fortitude to make it happen.  

Your fate is in your own hands.  Gd luck to all.

By the way, 160 is just hopping with stations tuning up for the contest this weekend.  Great pickings, huh?
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 07:34:51 PM »

I've wasted too much time listening to "CQ EU only." If you feel the same way I do, please go their website and let them know how you feel about it.

I hope you'll feel better in the morning Grasshopper.

Maybe you can wake up early and work them like you've been told to.

Please though, don't take you frustrations out on your loved ones and you co-workers.  

Don't think Luke, just do.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 07:51:08 PM »

Bubba Grasshoppers???  

Please wake up from your little slumbers.

The VP6 station is on 40M and calling US up 7.235.

Please wake up???!!!

Oh, you poor little ones.  This is your destiny.

Please wake up.

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 10:41:20 PM »

"After sitting and listening for hours to VP6DX working Europeans only (which apparently includes South Americans,JA's and everything else except W's and VE's), I give up. If they don't want to work me, screw em! I can understand them taking ten minute breaks to listen for only specified parts of the world, but not for hours on end. Frankly, they really piss me off! I've wasted too much time listening to "CQ EU only." If you feel the same way I do, please go their website and let them know how you feel about it. "

You already have at least 11 QSO's with them according to their log. I don't think not wanting to work you is the problem.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 01:12:49 AM »

I was a little frustrated like everyone else. Got home tonight late, slept on the sofa, went down into the shack at 4 AM. I literally worked them on 80CW, 40CW and 80 SSB on 5 calls over 5 minutes. Took longer to tune up than to work them. So just follow the DX instructions. By the time these operators get done, there may not be a reason to go back to Ducie for another 5-10 years, cuz everyone will have them on all modes and all bands, literally, if they try. Over the next 2 weeks the pileups will go away.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: