The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "World Gone Silent" "kit"  (Read 4841 times)
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 11:32:57 PM »

World gone silent.....whatever. If the premise held up, the repeaters would be off the air as well. Then what are these maroon prepper types gonna do then? Stupid hype to sell overpriced products to scared people.  Cry

I guess I'd be scared too if I wasn't sure of where I was going after all this is over.  Shocked

Despicable.  Grin

So religion is your crutch?

Sure. What's yours?

No crutch/fantasy. I accept reality, and adapt.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 11:51:08 PM »

World gone silent.....whatever. If the premise held up, the repeaters would be off the air as well. Then what are these maroon prepper types gonna do then? Stupid hype to sell overpriced products to scared people.  Cry

I guess I'd be scared too if I wasn't sure of where I was going after all this is over.  Shocked

Despicable.  Grin

Sure. What's yours?

No crutch/fantasy. I accept reality, and adapt.

Well, looks like you have your hands full now. And I call BS
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:02:04 AM by AF7XM » Logged

WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 12:13:57 AM »

I'll wait until you're done with your edits, before I bother replying..
JS6TMW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 07:42:07 AM »

[/quote]

Sure. What's yours?
[/quote]

After yesterday, a triple Bourbon on the rocks.

ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 09:59:55 AM »

jus sayin
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »

I wonder what the folks who sell the software by the same name are aware of this?

https://worldgonesilent.com/product/ham-radio-deluxe-kit/
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »

I wonder what the folks who sell the software by the same name are aware of this?

https://worldgonesilent.com/product/ham-radio-deluxe-kit/
     Let's just hope that their next "kit" doesn't include a 10 through 80 meter transceiver!!!  Shocked
AF7EC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 05:50:42 PM »

Hey Eric, this is where you click that fine-looking 'Ignore' button ;-)

An imperfect being created by a perfect God Cheesy
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »

Hey Eric, this is where you click that fine-looking 'Ignore' button ;-)
At least he didn't call it my crotch.  Shocked     Grin

Naw, ignore is a last resort tactic that I almost never use. Well, I used it once but restored the individual (ktn) because I wanted to see what nonsense was coming from his keyboard in some sick feeling of validation on my part. In a way, the ignore button feels like I'm snuffing someones 1st amendment rights sort of, and the first amendment is something I hold dear. Besides, it's not like I don't like the person; I don't even know them well enough to dislike them. (What is the gender neutral way of putting it instead of "them"?)

SOFAR can have his opinion and I'm sorry he has to feel that way about it. As crude as it sounds, well, someone has to be going to hell otherwise what would the point of it be. If I felt I was able to show him the truth in a way he could be intellectually honest with himself about, I would do so. He is someone else I will have to answer for, not having tried to lead them to Jesus. In my defense of not fulfilling the great commission, it's been my experience that those with the adversary's w@^& firmly ensconced in their mouth aren't really open to hearing the truth, and the statements "So religion is your crutch" followed by "I accept reality and adapt" indicate such a position; hence why I am reluctant to pursue it with that person. The glaring obviousity (not a word but gets the point across) of creation screams a creator had a hand in it, not to mention the proofs that abound for anyone with a mind to see and acknowledge. For someone to willingly step away from that is sad but in the end it's their choice to ignore the living God, for to fall into the hands of the living God is indeed a fearsome thing. So just remember that God so loved the world he begat his only begotten Son for it so that none would perish but have everlasting life. Well, something to that effect. Hopefully this will encourage someone to think about it instead of listening to the deceiver and having to go through all that stuff.

In a nutshell, I won't be using the ignore feature on this individual at this time for the aforementioned reason. But thanks Will for reminding me of its availability. Besides, I'm curious what sort of tirade this reaction will induce. It's not like I'm jamming religion down his (pick favorite orifice, here); never have, never was. My guess there will be calls for my head, catty comments from all directions from the usual suspects and maybe even a religiously oriented banning from the privilege of posting here on eHam. Let's see how much pull a poster without a callsign has on an amateur radio website.

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 06:42:33 AM »

Cell phone sites have battery backup, so do some repeaters (the main one I use in town does not however), because people depend on their phones being able to make 911 calls in emergencies. Why would a ham repeater be more reliable than a commercial cell phone system in an event that cut power or wiped out so much infrastructure as to eliminate cell sites? They wouldn't.

Being involved in commercial site design most sites only have batteries sized for 8-24 hours of operation. The generators are supposed to be running at that time but then that will only keep a site going for a few days at the most.

Probably the best are repeater sites that are located on mountain tops and are powered with solar panels. Those can keep going indefinitely unless lightning destroys equipment or snow covers the solar panels.

I have yet to convince a traditional commercial client in to adding solar power to a site that has "normal" access. I have suggested solar panel covered roofs on the equipment shelters but the idea has not gained any traction.

Commercial sites draw much more power than the typical amateur radio repeater that sits on a tiny wooden crate in the corner of the commercial site. Also I have seen amateur radio stations that were allowed to plug in to the 120 VAC wall outlet in the corner but not to tie in to the battery string that is running the rest of the gear. In the event of a power loss the amateur gear would run off of the emergency generator, until that runs out of fuel.

In a SHTF type of incident you may get repeater operation for a few days at most. Unless the site was designed to be independent of commercial power with solar panels.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Free space loss (dB) = 32.4 + 20 × log10d + 20 × log10 f
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 10:26:14 AM »

In the event of a nuclear conflict, atmospheric dust could significantly reduce the output of solar cells.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 02:24:55 AM »

In the event of a nuclear conflict, atmospheric dust could should significantly reduce the output of input to solar cells.

Fixed that for ya  Cheesy

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: