The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grounding a FT-857??  (Read 1633 times)
W3ESE

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »

I`m probably going to feel stupid after asking this question.

I recently obtained a Yaesu FT-857 as part of an estate purchase, and I`m in the process of setting it up for testing, prior to listing it for sale....When it came to grounding it, I couldn`t find any normal way to attach it to the ground system.....The manual refers to a "rear panel ground lug"....There isn`t one...In fact, the only screw back there are the miniature ones that attach the SO-239`s....

Is there an FT-857 owner out there that can solve this mystery for me?
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 09:27:28 AM »

Grounding of equipment is a controversial subject - many hams choose not do, other hams wouldn't dare go without....  but if you are planning to ground the 857, you can attach the ground to one of the 4 mobile bracket screws.  Just slip the braid (or ring terminal, or whatever) under the mobile bracket screw before you tighten it.

Dan / ab0re

W3ESE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 01:52:59 PM »

Hi Dan...Yes, I know..That`s why I said I could`t find the "normal" way.

I`m puzzled by the manual saying to use the ground lug on the back panel when there isn`t one on the back panel.

Hopefully a FT-101 owner will chime in and solve the mystery. I`d like to be able to alert the new owner before he buys it.

Thanks
 Ray
W3ESE

AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 03:49:12 PM »

I just checked my FT857D and also no ground screw.  not even a place for one.  I think yaesu just likes to mess with us, haha.

M5AED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 01:14:35 AM »

An easy fix.  Remove aerial from radio.  Slip a jubilee clip over the PL259 plug and refit the aerial. Put the earth wire between the clip and the plug then tighten the screw.  Good tight fit will result.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:17:12 AM by M5AED » Logged
AD5TD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 11:00:06 AM »

Here's what I did and it's easy.  I bought a cheap "Coaxial Spark gap" arrester.  I screwed it in the back and used the grounding screw on it to go to ground.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKMAN-A28-CB-HAM-RADIO-ANTENNA-LIGHTNING-STATIC-ARRESTOR-/121532515317?hash=item1c4be703f5:g:enYAAOSwx-9Wt1f4
M0GVZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 11:35:20 AM »

Plug it into a dummy load to test output, use a signal generator to test input. Far more valid than hooking it up to an antenna and making a contact.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »

Pretty much a waste of time since it will still be a Yaesu & have that pathetic excuse for DSP filtering & a poor at best receiver.had one & it's hands down the worst Amateur Transceiver I have ever owned or operated.I have said many times that I would not have another one even for FREE if I was required too actually keep & use it because i found it made Amateur Radio Very Very much NOT FUN.

Clayton
W4KVW 
AB0RE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 11:20:35 PM »

Pretty much a waste of time since it will still be a Yaesu & have that pathetic excuse for DSP filtering & a poor at best receiver.had one & it's hands down the worst Amateur Transceiver I have ever owned or operated.I have said many times that I would not have another one even for FREE if I was required too actually keep & use it because i found it made Amateur Radio Very Very much NOT FUN.

Clayton
W4KVW 

Come on, Clayton..... don't hold back.  Tell us how you really feel.  ;-)
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 03:19:35 AM »

Clayton
W4KVW 

I hear ya, they're nothing special.

The receiver is better than the one in the FT-817, but the FT-817 is actually quite a useful radio!

J.D. Mitchell - VK3BL / XU7AGA - http://vk3bl.wordpress.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: