Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SWAN Island - HQ8R  (Read 1541 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2008, 04:00:10 AM »

Well, do you have all your TX5C band slots filled and modes worked? Getting Bored?? OK, now you can start to think about HQ8R, The Swan Island expedition which should be QRV on Saturday, March 15th. Only an IOTA, but something new, for me at least.
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 08:59:33 AM »

I don't have any filled on TX5C yet (don't ask!)..but look forward to & support most DXpeditions...as I look forward to this one!..

Good Luck & a safe trip to All!

73'..Tom  N3ZC
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:51:11 AM »

Going through some cards today and found this one.  I think this is another of the islands that "supposedly" will never allow another expedition.  Did anyone besides me work this one back in 2008?

Quite a history for this stretch of land, during the Bay of Pigs, etc. etc.   Do a wiki search for CIA - Swan Island, etc.

73, Gene AF3Y
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:26:10 PM »

Going through some cards today and found this one.  I think this is another of the islands that "supposedly" will never allow another expedition.  Did anyone besides me work this one back in 2008?

Quite a history for this stretch of land, during the Bay of Pigs, etc. etc.   Do a wiki search for CIA - Swan Island, etc.

73, Gene AF3Y

Gene,
 I worked them and got my card also. I remember back in my teenager days when me and a buddy were SWL's. It was thrilling back then to read about the "mysterious" Swan Island. That was back during the height of the cold war. We lived in the last subdivision on the road to Oak Ridge (at that time) and many OR employees lived in the subdivision. On the way to Oak Ridge there were all these billboards with little government messages about secrecy. One I remember just showed a chess board with the players and just said "Check Mate".
 And unbelievably my buddy one day dug up an old German Transceiver in his back yard. I still get shivers thinking about it. But the subdivision was an old cow field in WW2 and obviously at some point there was a German spy. The thing was all rusted out when he found it around 1970, but you could still make out the wording on the radio all in German.
 That was some strange stuff back then and shortwave listening was really wild listening to all the worldwide broadcast stations and DX was Radio Yerevan and Radio Tashkent and Radio Pakistan, All India Radio. And the rantings of Radio Peking. I still have all my SW QSL cards from back then.
 My parents got me a SW radio for my birthday one year. Soon afterwards I built a Knight Kit SW radio and I thought I was in hog heaven. Later I got a Realistic DX 160. I eventually used it to practice listening to code for my novice license.
 All this was probably more info than anybody was looking for.  Grin
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »

73, Gene AF3Y

Gene,
 I worked them and got my card also. I remember back in my teenager days when me and a buddy were SWL's. It was thrilling back then to read about the "mysterious" Swan Island. That was back during the height of the cold war. We lived in the last subdivision on the road to Oak Ridge (at that time) and many OR employees lived in the subdivision. On the way to Oak Ridge there were all these billboards with little government messages about secrecy. One I remember just showed a chess board with the players and just said "Check Mate".
 And unbelievably my buddy one day dug up an old German Transceiver in his back yard. I still get shivers thinking about it. But the subdivision was an old cow field in WW2 and obviously at some point there was a German spy. The thing was all rusted out when he found it around 1970, but you could still make out the wording on the radio all in German.
 That was some strange stuff back then and shortwave listening was really wild listening to all the worldwide broadcast stations and DX was Radio Yerevan and Radio Tashkent and Radio Pakistan, All India Radio. And the rantings of Radio Peking. I still have all my SW QSL cards from back then.
 My parents got me a SW radio for my birthday one year. Soon afterwards I built a Knight Kit SW radio and I thought I was in hog heaven. Later I got a Realistic DX 160. I eventually used it to practice listening to code for my novice license.
 All this was probably more info than anybody was looking for.  Grin

Neat story....... I will bet you heard the joke a lot about saving on electricity because you lived so close to Oak Ridge, you glowed in the dark! Grin  73, Gene AF3Y
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:50:23 PM »

I actually have Swan Island as a country, back when it was KS4.  Now deleted, of course.
N8XI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »

I was a ham prior to August 31, 1972.
I could have worked this one  Sad

73, Rick - N8XI
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »

Nice that someone is activating Swan Island.  It was a piece of cake for me to work Swan Island in the late 60's when our CIA had permanent facilities there.  They were on the air quite often handing out confirmed contacts...I guess they picked CIA employees who were hams so that they didn't go "bonkers" sitting there with nothing to do but spy on Fidel....

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: