The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL and W1AW open hours  (Read 1356 times)
WB1FFI

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2016, 06:53:01 AM »

Could not find a previous post about this so excuse me if I missed one in my search. I find the ARRL hours make it almost impossible for working people to visit the station in Newington, CT as they are closed on weekends and holidays. Just curious if others have experienced the same frustration and whether there is enough support to urge the ARRL to have some extra hours on a Saturday or Sunday and some holidays for those traveling through the Newington area. Thanks for any comments as I don't think that the ARRL has a comment section for members on its own website.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:22:45 AM »

Maybe they could trade Mondays for Saturdays?

Or maybe they could stop taking themselves so seriously and quit acting like a quasi arm of government.

Or gas could be .25 a gallon again. You decide which is most likely to occur.

The whole M-F thing in Newington makes them more of a vacation destination than a weekend retreat. Treat accordingly.  Grin

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
N1FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:22:51 PM »

ARRL is a bad joke, getting worse every day. Now they want to 'strengthen and renew' their memorandum of understanding with the FCC. Talk about the blind leading the incompetent!

Roll Eyes

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/work-continues-to-strengthen-relationship-between-amateur-auxiliary-fcc
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 02:39:10 AM »

Are the people who staff the ARRL Headquarters volunteers or salaried? If they are volunteers then this could be the problem as (sometimes) people have a life outside of ham radio. Here in Frankfurt there is a Museum of Communications on the banks of the Main River, they have a most impressive ham shack on the roof but nobody to operate it so it seems that the ARRL are not the only people with this problem.

The ham radio display GB2SM at the Science Museum in London? Closed years ago for the same reason.

Peter DL8OV
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 06:00:51 AM »

GB2SM was closed because a new museum director considered it too old fashioned and of little or no interest. In about 1983 or so, I was taken to W1AW on a Sunday.....Otherwise, I've always gone there during working hours.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 12:00:15 PM »

The few times I've been there I've always had to make it a vacation day to go there.

The W1AW station itself is only available for operating during hours outside of their broadcast times. I suppose it's only open during the work week because that is when their staff is working there. As far as I know, the people working there are all paid staff. Perhaps having them there during the weekends / after hours is not within the budget?
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 01:14:22 PM »

Be advised that the ARRL will be closed November 24 and 25 for the Thanksgiving Holiday.

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/arrl-headquarters-will-be-closed-on-november-24-25

ARRL Headquarters will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday and Friday, November 24-25. The ARRL Letter will not publish on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 24, and there will be no edition of ARRL Audio News on Friday, November 25. In addition there will be no W1AW bulletins or code practice on those days. We wish all our members a safe and enjoyable holiday!

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: