The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW On A Log  (Read 5905 times)
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2016, 10:20:41 PM »

From: http://vk4ffab.info/2016/11/20/wwffvkff-beachmere-conservation-park/

So i went out today portable and activated a park for the WWFF program. It was a real slumming it affair, but hey I had a ball. The YouKits HB1B did the job as usual, and I still need to work on getting a better key to use for my portable operations, the china key is well, horrid at best HAHAHA. Anyway, I had fun and that is all that really matters.

KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 06:13:43 AM »

You got on the air and had a good time, all that really matters.... 72/73 de n8aft
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 02:22:39 PM »

You got on the air and had a good time, all that really matters.... 72/73 de n8aft

Having fun, thats pretty much my key to life.

Thanks,

Rob.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 02:38:22 AM »

How many QSOs, how far did you reach?

Conditions not so good now, a few years ago with a friends K1 and a 20M dipole I had a blast operating from a mountain top along the Appalachian trail. Used a Paddlette PK2 paddle that worked just fine.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 05:05:42 AM »

How many QSOs, how far did you reach?

Conditions not so good now, a few years ago with a friends K1 and a 20M dipole I had a blast operating from a mountain top along the Appalachian trail. Used a Paddlette PK2 paddle that worked just fine.

73 John K3TN

3 on CW and 7 on SSB, both 5w rigs. I was only operating on 40m contacts out to about 800km. Time of the day was the limiting factor, just no one about on a Sunday around lunchtime, if i went later i probably would have worked some dx on 15m, Japan comes in most afternoons here on 15. I do not have 20m as part of my license conditions, so my main bands are 40 and 15.

There are a few places I really have enjoyed operating from high up, Beutels Lookout at Ravensbourne National Park was one of the best. 900 meters above sea level and nothing but sky all the way to the ocean. Not quite the Appalachian trail though, which on the grand scheme of things is one of those things anyone who has a love for the outdoors and natural beauty would just love to do. I am certainly jealous of anyone who has done even just small parts of that, and operating a small portable rig up there would be amazing.

This is a rather nice office to have. Got rather cold on sunset, 10 Deg C in summer, as the wind off the coast hit the mountain and rushed upwards.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 05:12:17 AM by VK4FFAB » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 02:04:10 PM »

There's the answer to your problem..... you never transmit into the wind!

Beautiful photos!!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 03:17:26 PM »

Great website!!  Smiley
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »

There's the answer to your problem..... you never transmit into the wind!

Beautiful photos!!

Well at least i do not have to deal with snow Smiley
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 05:21:37 PM »

FFAB:  I don't either!  I'm almost 81 and retired.  I've adopted the philosophy of an old work buddy.  He always said, "I didn't put it there and I ain't takin it off!"

But will give you that one.  I spent many, many hours digging my car in and out  of parking places while I was working.  I've even lost work because of that crap!

Agree with ONAIR.  Great website!!  Enjoyed it very much.  As an avid builder I can appreciate your good work.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »

"backpacking paddles" are a tricky problem.  Two possibilities:

1.  Set up a leg-mounted paddle, with a round-the-leg strap.

2.  Make a "paddle"with two vertically-operated switches (e.g., "tactile microswitches"), next to each other.  Key with index finger (dits), and middle finger (dahs).  The keying force is vertical, so the "paddle" doesn't move around.  If your radio has a steel case, you can magnet-mount the "paddle".

I've done that, and found an upper limit around 15 wpm.  However, with lighter action on the switches (or two side-by-side straight keys, as you have mode), one should be able to get faster.

This idea isn't original.  I can't find the earliest commercial example, but here are two recent ones:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2196

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6114

.         Charles
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 10:57:09 PM »

And this one:

http://americanmorse.com/LowBoy.htm

.    Charles

VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 03:36:42 PM »

FFAB:  I don't either!  I'm almost 81 and retired.  I've adopted the philosophy of an old work buddy.  He always said, "I didn't put it there and I ain't takin it off!"

But will give you that one.  I spent many, many hours digging my car in and out  of parking places while I was working.  I've even lost work because of that crap!

Agree with ONAIR.  Great website!!  Enjoyed it very much.  As an avid builder I can appreciate your good work.

I would love to see and hear about some of your home brew rigs, construction and CW really do go hand in hand. Thanks for the kind words, I really enjoy construction, home brew and just tinkering. If I do not keep your hands and mind busy, I just end up annoying the wife and that is never pleasant Smiley

@VA7CPC

Thanks for the links, im not sure my cw skills would allow for the tapping method, but the american morse mob have a rather nice portable key for reasonable money that I might invest in. Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: