The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How's CQ Magazine doing.  (Read 52861 times)
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2017, 02:57:41 PM »

to WB8NUT,

I want to subscribe to RadCom but when I'm going through the process the security lock in the URL box for a secure payment never shows up. (Like US websites)

I'm leery of putting in my credit card info.

Did you have this same issue as me or did you just put in all your info and it worked out ok?

Or is it normal for the Europe websites to display this way?

Thanks for any help.

You can subscribe through the ARRL.  15 issues for the price of 12 for new subscribers ($69).
Phil - AD5X

I don't recall having any problems at all, but I would take Phil's suggestion and just subscribe via the ARRL and get the extra issues.
HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2017, 09:59:21 PM »

Thanks guys

I will follow your suggestion!
AD4IE

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: May 28, 2017, 07:41:46 PM »

I enjoy the magazine; however, I usually get my issue about the third week of the month listed on the cover. So most everything that they list as coming up has already happened. Charlotte, NC.
N3PS

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: May 31, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »

The electronic edition via Zinio seems to come out almost week after the print edition is mailed Sad
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: May 31, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »

The Zinio version seems to come out on the 1st or 2nd of the month like clockwork.
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2017, 05:33:25 AM »

Did anyone receive their May or June PAPER copies of CQ, and if you did, when did you receive them?
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2017, 08:57:20 AM »

May issue arrived late, but it arrived before June.  Still watching for my June issue to show.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2017, 05:46:36 PM »

My June issue showed up today.  Has stuff on Field Day.  A bit late.  Last issue for me.  I dropped subscription three years ago after many years of loyal subscription.  Couldn't take the BS about printer problems, etc.  Last summer started up a new one year subscription to give them another (last) try.  Sorry, CQ, no renewal.  3 1/2 weeks late is not good enough. 
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »

June mailed issue, last day of month...  July digital was on Zinio this morning, July 1st.
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: July 02, 2017, 04:19:58 AM »

June mailed issue, last day of month...  July digital was on Zinio this morning, July 1st.

Pathetic service.
WR3V

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: July 02, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »

Beyond pathetic.  How do you think they survive financially?  By a shoe string, I suspect.  Good Lord, what would it take to just get caught up and stay there.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: July 02, 2017, 06:33:51 AM »

As much as hams always complain about advertising, healthy magazines, in the past, always ran with an at least 50% advertising to editorial ratio.  Now we are down to two magazines fighting over advertisers who have internet marketing savvy.   Subscriptions don't cover a fraction of the cost.  I suspect they are fighting cash flow problems.  I'm not defending them, but it is a rough industry and times are changing.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: July 02, 2017, 07:38:18 AM »

Which is why the print industry will be almost purely electronic soon.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2017, 03:31:48 AM »

As much as hams always complain about advertising, healthy magazines, in the past, always ran with an at least 50% advertising to editorial ratio.  Now we are down to two magazines fighting over advertisers who have internet marketing savvy.   Subscriptions don't cover a fraction of the cost.  I suspect they are fighting cash flow problems.  I'm not defending them, but it is a rough industry and times are changing.

Advertising rates are dependent on the number of subscribers. The reason the number of subscribers has gone down is two-fold with CQ. First, they have had delivery problems with the print edition for years. Most believe it is a cash flow problem related to all the magazines they tried to publish.

The second thing that caused the drop in subscribers in my opinion is the horrible way in which they treated their customers. This I believe had a greater impact to retaining subscribers. Not being up-front and honest with the customer base, not issuing refunds, the reported non-payment to authors, etc. People understand businesses can have bad times and I believe had they been honest and upfront with the customers, I think a majority of people would have stood by them. But when customers come to realize that they are being lied to and deceived, then they leave and many will never come back making a bad situation even worse.

The only people responsible for this current situation is the management of the magazine. Not the customers, not the advertisers and not the challenges of the print industry.

There will always be print. Many magazines have tried going digital only and it has not worked and they had to revert to a hybrid model. Some have started as all digital and it seems to be working. A lot depends on the quality of the content. For example, The Spectrum Monitor started and remains all digital. You get a pdf file each month. You don't have to use Zinio or some other service. Few advertisements since the subscription supports the magazine. The content is excellent. It can work in some instances. But if you ask most people, they still prefer a paper magazine to all digital.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2017, 03:45:13 AM »

Yea that may be true. The trash mags will still be printed. But then most of their readers wouldn't know the difference between a pdf and an exe. Anything with real content will be all digital soon. Those that reverted back from all digital to a hybrid most likely fell into the trash category.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: