The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How's CQ Magazine doing.  (Read 52679 times)
WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: July 03, 2017, 11:13:50 AM »

Those who think things will go all digital, better think again. It appears to not be the case.

https://digiday.com/media/digital-publishers-reviving-print-corpse/

https://www.theguardian.com/media-network/media-network-blog/2013/mar/07/fall-rise-magazines-print-digital

http://www.freeportpress.com/print-vs-digital-how-we-really-consume-our-magazines/

http://www.mequoda.com/articles/digital-magazine-publishing/digital-only-magazines/
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: July 03, 2017, 08:55:29 PM »

LOL...Just like the sound barrier couldn't be broke. Just like AM was the mode to use instead of SSB. Just like cell phones were a passing fad.   Bla bla bla. Can give many more examples, but the point is made. Those who need to cling to the past are the ones that scream the loudest when change comes. And those who won't change will be left behind.

The world is changing rapidly. What didn't work a couple years ago was executed in a different world.

I did think again. Switched all my reading material to digital. No more trips to the recycling bin! Just right click and empty the trash when I am done. Need something again? Go to the website and find the article with a quick search. No stacks of paper to dig through. Just fast and convenient with no clutter!

When I look for something specific, a search engine can pretty much take you to the info you need. Again, digital. No other faster or easier way to do it. It is like having a world of information packed into my office! And no paper!

Paper!?! We don't need no stinkin paper!

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: July 04, 2017, 08:26:33 AM »

Stories about what is currently happening are often not correct on what will happen.  There are still several generations around who grew up with printed material and prefer it to electronic form, but that demographic is changing.  My grand daughter has no text books.  No, she isn't in college, she is in second grade, but she has an Ipad with all the required books pre-loaded.  As her generation matures, they will find printed magazines and books a nuisance and unwanted just like many of my generation feel just the opposite.  Radio suffered a similar fate when television came out.  Lots of people said TV spelled the doom for radio, but they were only partially right.  AM radio, America's choice for news and sports did suffer extensively, to the point were many stations closed or were bought up by conglomerates who could keep them profitable only by offering cut rate advertising and providing canned programs over a multitude of stations to ease the production costs.  FM (no static at all) brought a resurgence by virtue of static free music, but it is quickly going the same route that AM was forced to take due to streaming music and Sirius radio.  When cars become self driving, video will rule supreme and I suspect it will come to be that radios will be omitted or offered only as an extra cost option.  Electronic print is the future, but it's still too early to move 100% into that direction.  That will change in the next 50 years though.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2017, 07:53:16 PM »

Digital is convenient, compact, and is super easy to search for articles or topics we want. 

But life isn't really linear..  it has discontinuities along the way, and companies and formats eventually die.  For example, I have a few stacks of old 73, Ham Radio, and Wireless World magazines with specific articles that were and still are of interest to me.  I can't go to any of their websites anymore because those companies are long dead.  Some people have attempted to scan them and have them up on archival but you can see that those sites are usually riddled with adware other questionable areas and generally Norton's isn't often happy about my visits.  I bought CDs but scan quality is always annoying.

I also have some digitized articles in old formats that my old XP computer can read but the formats are no longer supported.

So digital is convenient.  But if it`s important, paper lasts longer and someone is guaranteed to be able to read it 100 years later (just like Grandpa`s old photos).  And you know it.

Use both if you can.

73, Ed VE3WGO
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: July 24, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »

Gee, not to get back on topic or anything...... Grin

I received my July issue today. Very nice, with a lot of articles selected for bed-time reading.

One thing I noticed....being an Icom 'fanboy', Icom had no ads in this issue.

Even QST has no Icom ads for the upcoming 7610.
Only place that mention it, is DXE.   Hmmmmmm.

ron
N4UE
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »

Advertisers look for the most cost effective and productive advertising mediums.  A lack of magazine advertising means either they have found a better means to reach their customers, or perhaps they are also in a financial situation that precludes the expenses involved with printed media advertising.
N3TJO

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2017, 08:47:10 AM »

I subscribe to the digital CQ and QST and both display nicely on my 10.4" tablet. I also subscribe to the digital Spectrum Monitor which replaced Monitoring Times after that ceased publication.  The only paper subscription I have is QEX since it doesn't yet have a digital option.

Tommy
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2017, 09:48:59 AM »

CQ magazine. I've heard of that. Ain't that the one Wayne Green chided for being a contest-only magazine.

I reckon QST subscription numbers are high because many folks believe if they aren't an A.R.R.L. member, they're
pukes.

I saw a picture of Larry Price, an A.R.R.L. past president or something. I did not like the grin on his face. I saw thief.
I did not renew.

Astronomy and Sky and Telescope are my magazines of choice.

Kraus

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »

Most hams support the ARRL because it is our only voice in regulatory matters. 

Wayne Green?  Wasn't he the guy who formed the Institute of Amateur Radio, which was his vision as a replacement for the ARRL?

ARRL and CQ are still around.  Last time I looked the IoAR, 73 and W2NSD were missing in action....

Pete
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »

Alright.

I'm on 18.136MHz phone at 2200UTC.

Kraus
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2017, 01:22:47 PM »

1.8136MHz CW at 2200 GMT would be more productive on my end.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »

I'll make a deal.

We'll meet Friday, 2200UTC, Morse, 1.8136MHz. I hope my 5WPM isn't too fast for you.

This evening, 17 meters phone for me.

Tomorrow, some time with the Frau. She works nights. I don't feel good
being on the radio on her first night off.

OK?

Kraus
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2017, 03:00:10 PM »

It is difficult for Wayne Green to do much since he died some time back.

Happy being an Amateur Extra!
Nothing says CB on my printed license.
Ares/Races but no lights or crown vic.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2017, 04:38:59 PM »

1.8136MHz CW at 2200 GMT would be more productive on my end.

Change of plan.

I'm on frequency now. I'll listen until 0100UTC.

Kraus
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »

I reckon you didn't get my message in time.

I did talk to W9HAK and boy am I a bad copier. I thought I copied Sam for his name and the FCC
database says it's Bradford. I feel small.

And my fist is horrible. He said I was 339. I guess the fist is so bad a dit might sound like a dash
or vice-versa. Static crashes were no help either.

But I do know, I can have Morse fun like everyone else. Won't you join me.

Kraus
Pages: Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: