The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bouvet 2017???  (Read 17824 times)
LA7GIA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 12:03:58 PM »

You can donate to 3Y0G Bouvet
https://secure.clublog.org/make_donation.php?call=3Y0G
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 01:22:14 AM »

Ken, thanks for sharing the link. I had overlooked the small Donate button on the 3Y0G Clublog link. Good luck to both DXpeditions.

Marvin VE3VEE
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »

Dom, 3Z9DX, just minutes ago, returned money via PayPal, saying: "I had to cancel project due missing operators willing to join the trip".

Marvin VE3VEE
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 05:10:52 PM »

I got a refund too.  It's a sad day.  Finding operators willing to go to a remote location for two months is challenging, and I don't blame Dom a bit.  Let's hope Dom will redirect this energy to activate another rare entity.

Jonathan W6GX
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 06:37:53 PM »

Unfortunate.

Obie N5VYS
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 07:29:23 AM »

Sad to hear the trip had to be cancelled. Thank you Dom for your efforts.
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 03:32:42 PM »

But isn't K4UEE and team going to Bouvet in 2018

Why did Dom feel the need to go there too Huh

We lost one top expedition to one of the T3 last year due to him going there first, I would be afraid to comment on his motivation to try to activate Bouvet even after a top team have announced plans to go there,

There is lots of top 10 stuff to be activated there is no need for everyone to go to the same island,

Trevor
EI2GLB
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 05:24:32 PM »

I doubt that Dom's operation would have been as big, so there would still be plenty of demand.
3Z9DX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 01:33:59 AM »

But isn't K4UEE and team going to Bouvet in 2018

Why did Dom feel the need to go there too Huh

We lost one top expedition to one of the T3 last year due to him going there first, I would be afraid to comment on his motivation to try to activate Bouvet even after a top team have announced plans to go there,

There is lots of top 10 stuff to be activated there is no need for everyone to go to the same island,

Trevor
EI2GLB

hi Man

You lost top expedtiton to t31 becouse of me?  You are so funny . Ask them why they didn't go there !?  becouse of small 3 people team? who did 31.000 qso's in 6 days  ?

Don't you think they should go and show the world ''who's the boss'' ?  why they canceled? they had a great team, equiment ready , boat redy so WTF happend to them ? People are still waiting for T31 !  there is planty of space for even 3 more expedtitons to T31

Some of you guys are acting like a real AMATEURS !

If you thik you good , better,smart enough....GO !  do it , show us !

unfortunately most of ham radio guys are brave....... just from behind the laptop.

3y0 project did't die !   and is still valid. I need 3 more people ( 6 people team) ready and willing to go for up to 7 weeks. Who not ask milion questions,who is just  ready to go.

My project no need helicopter, no need sherpas, no need cook, no need hostes ,drink bars and a heater in the toailet.

I went to Bouvet in 2001 with no radio and i know what i'm dealing with !

My trip budget is  1/10 of  3y0z budget and will be split by 6 operators .  Trip will be made by Southern Oceans expedition boat .

So......are you willing to go ? or just want to say that i should go to Crozet becouse you are missing some points from them ?
Dom

K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 04:22:27 AM »

Ginger, or Mary Ann? Hopefully both!

I hope they bring their dual VFOs, so the antenna masts remain vertical..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin.....

V
K3NRX

KD6KVL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 07:43:27 AM »

I think Dom showed how it doesn't necessarily take the large budget to pull of some of these expeditions.  This is what seems to be keeping some of the rarer entities from being activated.  There was a group that did lower budget activations some years back called the Microlite? Group.  The argument seems to be perceived safety vs budget.  Yeah, its probably safer to get on Bouvet with a helo instead of dragging Alpha's up off a skiff.  We now have Elecraft radios and amps that take far less space and weigh far less than the old FT-1000's and Alphas.  Low budget dxpeditions are potentially more within reach than when equipment was bigger and weighed more.  Tom and Hari activated some awesome stuff with 2 guys and simple gear, PY0S was awesome.  I recall some of the local qrp'ers complaining they couldn't get through the pileups, but I managed with 100 watts and a hex beam.  Those 2 left it on the operators to have skill to work them.  I'd rather have that and smaller operations that go more places, than the larger groups.  Of course we know when Fedor and Alphin tool up on the Braveheart that we're all getting in the log 160-6 and on 2m eme, but they can't afford to go everywhere with what they take in from donations and qsl revenues.  So we have a choice, smaller operations like Dom or Tom and Hari, or fewer big operations.
The more operations the better.  It seems they'll have to diversify this if we want to keep expeditions going.  My bigger concern is the age of the same characters we keep seeing in the dx club movies.  I saw a video from AH1 many years ago and those guys looked a lot younger!
Frank KG6N
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 02:40:24 PM »

I think Dom showed how it doesn't necessarily take the large budget to pull of some of these expeditions.  This is what seems to be keeping some of the rarer entities from being activated.  There was a group that did lower budget activations some years back called the Microlite? Group.  The argument seems to be perceived safety vs budget.  Yeah, its probably safer to get on Bouvet with a helo instead of dragging Alpha's up off a skiff.  We now have Elecraft radios and amps that take far less space and weigh far less than the old FT-1000's and Alphas.  Low budget dxpeditions are potentially more within reach than when equipment was bigger and weighed more.  

--SNIP--

Frank KG6N

Frank I am not sure if Dom just typed that stuff up in anger but I personally see no way to get to Bouvet without a Helicopter.
I am not saying it is not possible but my understanding is that there is no place near to land that you can possibly anchor a ship, so you would need to use small boats to get in and from what I am reading it is extremely dangerous.  Then assuming you got that far you would need a team of very young guys in their 20s-30s that are willing to accept being put in a lot of danger as they navigate the cliffs to get up and send ropes down to haul things to land.  If at any point bad weather hits you would be SOL.

As for the weight of the Radios and Amps, that is the least of the problems. You need to Haul Generators, Tents, food and Gas to last for 2 weeks.  This expedition will consume a lot of energy to be able to survive in that kind of cold for 2 weeks.  Gas alone would be in the hundreds of gallons and at a weight of 600 plus pounds per 100 gallons plus hauling several Generators that will probably clock in at 200lbs each it would be a massive undertaking without a helicopter.  Can it be done?  Yes!  Would it be practical?  No!  Why?  Because it would take so long to haul and setup all the gear that you would lose almost half the Dxpedition time in setup and pull down time.  And if that is not a good enough reason, you need to take into account that the ship is clocking off the hours of rental time, and that will create an expense that vastly out weigh the expense of bringing a helicopter in the first place.

73s
Rob
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:48:03 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »

I'd be interested to know what ship he proposes to use and whether he's truly stand alone or piggy backing on another group.

Was the solo ON4 proposing to use a helo ?
PA1MR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 03:43:20 AM »

or just want to say that i should go to Crozet becouse you are missing some points from them ?
Dom

[/quote]

By all means, please go to Crozet!
Since 2000 I've always managed to work a new DXCC each year. For 2017 nothing new has been sceduled, so such an expedition to Crozet will be highy appreciated ;-)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:45:40 AM by PA1MR » Logged
SM5GLC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 08:19:05 AM »

One more vote for Crozet!
That would be a new one... not like Bouvet, already in the log  Cheesy
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: