The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NMO or ?  (Read 8855 times)
N1ZPY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 04:30:44 AM »

As stated above the mount you ordered will dictate what antenna you need.
KC0KP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 01:11:28 PM »

For VHF/UHF antenna mounts in the US historically in the commercial arena was the 3/8 snap in mount. ASP 201 the most common one. It was also referred to as a MO mount in the Motorola world. They had issues with intermittent shorts and opens. The NMO (new Motorola mount) appeared in the early 70s and was a lot more reliable. The coax was soldered so it so fewer intermittents. The bigger diameter was mechanically stronger.
I worked for Colorado State Patrol when they were moving to high band VHF. They tested on an antenna range various mounts and antennas for their 154 MHz system. The winner was the Larsen NMO 150 on a NMO mount in the center of the roof. For decades their Fury I patrol cars came from the factory with the NMO mount on the roof and the coax looped in the trunk.
All my mobile mounts have been NMOs ever since.
Craig
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 03:14:51 AM »

For VHF/UHF antenna mounts in the US historically in the commercial arena was the 3/8 snap in mount. ASP 201 the most common one. It was also referred to as a MO mount in the Motorola world. They had issues with intermittent shorts and opens. The NMO (new Motorola mount) appeared in the early 70s and was a lot more reliable. The coax was soldered so it so fewer intermittents. The bigger diameter was mechanically stronger.
I worked for Colorado State Patrol when they were moving to high band VHF. They tested on an antenna range various mounts and antennas for their 154 MHz system. The winner was the Larsen NMO 150 on a NMO mount in the center of the roof. For decades their Fury I patrol cars came from the factory with the NMO mount on the roof and the coax looped in the trunk.
All my mobile mounts have been NMOs ever since.
Craig

If the NMO was truly a stronger mount then all HF antennas would come with one but they do not. NMO sees a lot of use in VHF/UHF but not HF where raw strength is needed. The weakes part of anymount though is howit attaches to surface it is mounted on and that surfaces strength itself.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2016, 08:30:25 PM »

If the NMO was truly a stronger mount then all HF antennas would come with one but they do not. NMO sees a lot of use in VHF/UHF but not HF where raw strength is needed. The weakes part of anymount though is howit attaches to surface it is mounted on and that surfaces strength itself.

The NMO mount is the best mount for VHF/UHF antennas.  The Original poster never did say what antenna was ordered...  HF or VHF.  Until he responds to that question, if he ever does, this discussion is rather moot.
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 09:12:18 PM »

Just looked up the original poster and see that he holds a Technician class license, so will assume he is not installing an HF antenna.  If his Jeep roof is metal then his best choice is NMO.  Unfortunately he seems to be putting the cart before the horse by claiming to have already ordered his antenna mount and then asking what type antenna base he should get.  Hopefully he will get this worked out..... and have his Merry Christmas.
K6DTF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 03:53:03 PM »

Just looked up the original poster and see that he holds a Technician class license, so will assume he is not installing an HF antenna.  If his Jeep roof is metal then his best choice is NMO.  Unfortunately he seems to be putting the cart before the horse by claiming to have already ordered his antenna mount and then asking what type antenna base he should get.  Hopefully he will get this worked out..... and have his Merry Christmas.

Nice catch. I wasnt clear. I ordered the mount but was then emailed by the seller asking me which mount i was going with so that he could drill the correct size hole. Thanks to all for their input. I went with a UHF mount. it seemed some were for nmo and the other half were for UHF so i went with the trued and tried way, UHF. The comet antenna is working out great and am very happy with it so far.

Thanks again.
k6dtf
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »

How many VHF/UHF antennas are there with 3/8-24? The Hustler CG-144 is the only one I can think of,

I've got 19" 2m whips, 2m/440 whips, and 2m/6m antennas all in 3/8x24.  I hardly ever use a repeater, I'm about 99% HF when I'm on the radio in the car, but the antennas are out there.  And easy to homebrew, too! 
KC9CFM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 04:36:38 PM »

If you are in the market for VHF and above, NMO is superior and will take a beating on the trail better. Not to mention it is waterproof and nearly indestructible if you buy a good one. The Larsen NMO270 is about the best you will get for 2/70cm antenna.

You are being way too generous. NMO is a relative new comer to market compared to 3/8 x 24 and no where near as rugged. (if it was it would easily hold HF antennas but it cannot) And NMO taking a beating better on trail is BS too. You are more likely to damage or break a NMO antenna at or near mount with a impact with a limb off road than a 3/8 x 24. On waterproof part, so are 3/8 x 24 mounts or there would be ten of thousands of dead ones out there. If you want rugged you get 3/8 x 24, if you want a lighter duty mount that while it looks impressive but lacks strength to hold large antennas and will fail long before a 3/8 x 24 then get a NMO. I use twist off quick disconnects on my 3/8 x 24 bumper mount and I can change/swap or remove antenna in near blink of a eye and replace it blindfolded.

And I don't think you are being generous enough.  I had a NMO roof mount with a Larsen NMO2/70 on my Jeep for about 13 years.  Did off-roading, hit tree limbs, scraped along parking garages, etc.  Never any damage, mount still looked good when I sold the Jeep.  Kept the antenna, still using it today.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 07:04:25 PM »

And I don't think you are being generous enough.  I had a NMO roof mount with a Larsen NMO2/70 on my Jeep for about 13 years.  Did off-roading, hit tree limbs, scraped along parking garages, etc.  Never any damage, mount still looked good when I sold the Jeep.  Kept the antenna, still using it today.

Very small antenna in the scheme of things.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 06:50:32 AM »

In any case, though, the NMO wasn't ever meant to hold anything more than a high band VHF or UHF 5/8 wave.  Trying to use that mount for anything heavier would be risking auto body damage, IMO.

Correct, though Larsen makes antennas down to 27MHZ using NMO.
W4SEX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 03:27:38 PM »

I always get great audio reports with my Larsen 150 NMO antenna.
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »

nmo is the way to go

an very wide choice of antennas and manufacturers

every police car, fire truck, and ambulance uses NMO mounts so there's and endless supply of antennas and mounts
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »

nmo is the way to go

an very wide choice of antennas and manufacturers

every police car, fire truck, and ambulance uses NMO mounts so there's and endless supply of antennas and mounts

Exactly ! 

Bob
K6UJ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: