The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Grounding  (Read 3091 times)
VA7EBA

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »

Newer Ham here looking for advice. I know some will say station grounding isn't important or
Not to bother but I'm installing it regardless for peace of mind and safety precautions. I am looking to install a ground system properly. My shack is on the top floor of a two story house meaning my earth ground is quite long. I am using a ground plate 2 feet into the earth connected to #6 wire that goes up the building into my shack to a ground bus.

Advice on proper installation so that long earth ground does not act like an antenna would be appretiated and how to effectively stop any ground looping problems before they even start.

Is there anything I can install in line to prevent these problems from
Happening before they even start?

I've mainly done vhf for last year but am plumbing shack for my hf adventure to begin this coming year

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share

VA7EBA
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »

There are a lot of eHAM threads on this topic if you feel up to searching through them. But I'd recommend starting with this:

http://www.w8ji.com/station_ground.htm
VA7EBA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »

Thanks for your reply. I've been reading and still kind of lost.

I'm understanding earth ground and rfi ground are two different things

Being on the second floor of a second house... is length of earth ground cable going to make it ineffective? Or make it act as an antenna it's self?  Cables length under 20'feet

VA7EBA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 07:52:44 PM »

Pretty sure I've found my answers now

Cable length over 30 feet will be a problem
 -mines under 20

-Rf ground system better with copper braid and multiple copper pipes but is mainly a big issue  for Vertical antenna systems not the beam or directional antennas I have up

Most my ham buddies tell me not even to bother with grounds but I'm choosing to play safer and informed.

KH6AQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 04:42:32 AM »

To decouple the ground wire ferrite beads can be used. Using the G3TXQ choke page we see that 10 x FB31-1020 beads present an impedance between 1k and 2k from 7MHz to 30MHz. If you want higher impedance add more beads and in this configuration things are linear. 2X the beads and the impedance is doubled.

Amidon sells these beads for $2 each.

http://www.amidoncorp.com/fb-31-1020/

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/
VA7EBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »

In essence what you are saying is that with using these ferrite beads to spec on the #6 electrical ground wire will make the cable dual purpose for electrical ground as well as rf ground? (will
Allow electron flow on the outside (RF) of the wire like a copper braid wire does)

Tia for further elmering
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: