The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio and antenna suggestion for bicycle tour?  (Read 7685 times)
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 01:34:20 PM »

I would just ride my bike and listen to my phone music haha...

Way too much involved + absolute junk band conditions = no way
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 07:19:31 AM »

I just finished a three day ride (about 270 miles). The bike worked fine, there are just a few things I need to work out for this summers long ride. As far as the radio, I never heard anything.

I will probably plan on some audio books for the next long ride. I haven't been all too active in ham radio since about 2000. That is when my job change had me driving a lot less. then I left the country for about eight years. I am noticing that there has been a big drop off in activity. I realize that this is starting to venture into a different topic so I will end that there.

I may look into adding a CB before my long ride this summer.
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 08:14:33 AM »

I just finished a three day ride (about 270 miles). The bike worked fine, there are just a few things I need to work out for this summers long ride. As far as the radio, I never heard anything.

I will probably plan on some audio books for the next long ride. I haven't been all too active in ham radio since about 2000. That is when my job change had me driving a lot less. then I left the country for about eight years. I am noticing that there has been a big drop off in activity. I realize that this is starting to venture into a different topic so I will end that there.

I may look into adding a CB before my long ride this summer.

Well the big drop is the solar cycle. We have had literally 9 days now in a row with no sunspots thus crap propagation.

When everyone in America is sleeping you used to be able to hear activity round the clock from Europe and other parts and when they went to bed America/S Amer/Canada became very active.

Now due to the abhorrent solar flux and other poor conditions most of HAM radio is relegated to local national level stuff with the occasional DX opening. And it is going to get worse until around 2021 or so and we are still debating whether or not we are going to enter a maunder type minimum. If we do not we are project to start climbing back up in solar activity around 2024 peaking again just after the 30's.
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 07:53:42 AM »

I realize that this forum isn't much for pictures; but here are a couple of what I came up with.

This is my test run that I mentioned above. I went about three days and was intentionally overloaded. I wanted a "worst case" to use as a baseline of whether it would work or not.

All of the aluminum pieces are electrically bonded to each other with short jumper wires and self taping screws. I decided to go with a dedicated radio for the "other band." interestingly, it pick up a lot more noise from the converters than the 2M does

Here I had finished putting the antennas up. I am thinking of putting "146.520" in the triangle. As you can see, I tried moving the "other band" antenna as far from the electronics as possible; it still picks up a lot of noise. That isn't a real big issue, the main thing I use it for is the weather band.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 08:02:18 AM by AF7JA » Logged
AF7JA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 11:16:02 AM »

Well, I am getting ready to leave tomorrow morning. I will be monitoring 146.520 as I ride.

I have room so I am going toss my IC-706 and a folding loop antenna into the kit. I plan to try 14.285 between 20:30 and 21:00 Central time on the 28th and then Mountain time from that point on. If you are in Colorado try to listen.

Of course, I have never managed to make a HF contact; so I don't hold out strong hopes.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: