The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: difference between high $ interface and a just average interface.  (Read 3483 times)
KA5ROW

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2017, 02:22:14 PM »

I plan on getting back into SSTV and a few other digital modes after not doing so for maybe 10 years.
I just bought a Tigertronics SignaLink USB that goes through the din plug in back.

So what is the difference between the Tigertronics say at $125 vs some of the others that are as high as $299 what can they do the other cannot. Just wondering

And why a sound card in the device when the computer sound card is far better than most Interfaces would have at least in the high dollar motherboards I buy.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 03:47:33 PM »

For using sound card modes like PSK31 there won't be any performance difference between the Signalink-USB and more expensive interfaces. What the more expensive interfaces get you is added features such as rig control, FSK keying, direct CW keying, and WinKeyer for keyboard CW operation.

The benefit of the interfaces with an internal sound card is that it frees your computer sound card for normal Windows uses and keeps you from having to switch or swap cables between the speakers and the radio interface. You never have to worry about accidentally transmitting Windows sounds over the air. On digital modes the sound card only acts as an A/D and D/A converter so it doesn't require a very high end sound card.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: