The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY ARE HAMS CHEAP?????  (Read 17741 times)
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »

Charles, it's my money so I see no problem with looking for the best deal, call it cheap or frugal.

Like I mentioned early on I know enough not to offer a seller a ridiculously low low price.

On the other end of my bartering philosophy, after driving 50 to 100 miles to a hamfest, paying a 10 dollar door entry fee, paying the same price or more for a half cooked burger, using a restroom with p!$$ soaked floors, I'm not gonna pay the sellers asking price for a dusty, smelly, grimey, finger print smudged, paint peeled, unpowered, unknown condition radio.

And the above description isn't of Dayton either.

I have yet to visit a hamfest with offerings that you would find at some high end fancy department store on Park Avenue.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:32:00 AM by WB8VLC » Logged
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2017, 08:41:32 AM »

Wow. Calm Down . It is ok.. Trying to make ham radio more of a peaceful hobby. Wow. Have a joyous day... Jeeezzzz. Breathe Easy. Take deep breathsss.

I also hope to get another free breakfast at my local restaurant when I acquire 1100 posts. Everyone be safe.78ssss
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:43:59 AM by KC8KTN » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »

I also hope to get another free breakfast at my local restaurant when I acquire 1100 posts.

We get free stuff for posting? Well that explains a lot. Lol.   Smiley
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »

Big difference between cheap and being frugal.

I quite agree.  Besides, some asking prices are way too high for the things priced that way.  Could be that those people are just lazy, look on E-Bay for current pricing and don't bother looking any further.  All too much of the junk on E-Bay is way WAY overpriced.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »

....paying the same price or more for a half cooked burger, using a restroom with p!$$ soaked floors, I'm not gonna pay the sellers asking price for a dusty, smelly, grimey, finger print smudged, paint peeled, unpowered, unknown condition radio.

And the above description isn't of Dayton either.

Maybe, but you nailed it if it was.

Harrah....never a dull year.
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2017, 02:07:51 PM »

Why hams are cheap is an interesting discussion -- right up there with other choice topics like "why is water wet?"  Tongue

here is a real 64 thousand dollar question*:  why is it that today's science generally becomes tomorrow's superstition?

*pardon the thread drift but i am too CHEAP to start my own thread  Grin
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:28:04 PM by N9KX » Logged
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »

I'm not cheap, I'm broke. Angry
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2017, 03:35:24 PM »

Some of the prices demanded for WW2 surplus are ridiculous. But the aircraft restorers who aren't interested if the gear works will pay crazy prices.....
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »

All too much of the junk on E-Bay is way WAY overpriced.

Yes, right now there is an MFJ 557 Code Oscillator selling for $105 Buy It Now and $75 minimum bid. I remember picking one up used at Dayton one year for $10. 

I once also saw the Radio Shack HTX 202 selling for $149 in the box. The other day there was also one with the box, battery pack and new internal battery for $55, that is more like it.

The most ridiculous had to be a plain mobile CB antenna selling for $249 because it was the type of antenna (not the actual one) that they used in Smokey and the Bandit movie.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2017, 04:02:29 PM »

All too much of the junk on E-Bay is way WAY overpriced.

Yes, right now there is an MFJ 557 Code Oscillator selling for $105 Buy It Now and $75 minimum bid. I remember picking one up used at Dayton one year for $10. 

I once also saw the Radio Shack HTX 202 selling for $149 in the box. The other day there was also one with the box, battery pack and new internal battery for $55, that is more like it.

The most ridiculous had to be a plain mobile CB antenna selling for $249 because it was the type of antenna (not the actual one) that they used in Smokey and the Bandit movie.
   What's interesting is that a lot of people will actually buy overpriced stuff, either because they don't really care or they just have money to burn!  I knew a guy who made a bundle on ebay, just by selling stuff for more than he actually paid for it at a retail store!
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2017, 04:13:03 PM »

Cheap is cheap. Frugal is cheap.Here is cheap best explained
https://youtu.be/OPemyipJzAM.
Making ham radio like cb radio.Have a joyous day.Be safe 10-4 over and allways hear.The bestus siteus forus Hamus radio operati. Last sentence was Latin.Not a cheap way out
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:17:10 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
N4TTS

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2017, 07:30:38 PM »

<snip>Making ham radio like cb radio. </snip>

It's no wonder you've been run off everywhere you go. There's no doubt in anyone's mind why your local ham radio group refused to let you sit for your general test.
You're a cancer on the body of this planet. Aggravating people for your own enjoyment will absolutely come back to haunt you. That day may be sooner than you imagine.

Your antics don't bother as many people as you may think. The feeling is more of disgust that you're breathing air the rest of the planet could use for much more productive and intelligent activity.

I can't think of any reason the moderators of this site allow you to continue to drag eHam to the lowest common denominator other than you provide click bait to run up the view count.
Eventually I hope even they become weary of your childish, immature ridiculousness. If they don't you may get your wish and find a lot of members refuse to support this rubbish with donations any longer.

Congratulations fool, I'll be one of the first to jump ship.

Don N4TTS
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2017, 08:31:34 PM »

WOW, THE LAST POST WAS RATHER RUDE !
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2017, 08:43:12 PM »

Wow, what do you expect when people reach their quota of stupid? I mean really..are you one of the sycophants?

THAT LAST POST WAS YELLING

That is considered rude too.

Off to your safe space with you

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: February 14, 2017, 09:48:14 PM »

Don N4TTS   Donnie Donnie Donnie   what a cheap thing to say. P.S. do not wet yourself

I have an answer for you.. Do you need a hug. It sounds like it . You need some time off your wound up way to tight and your Narrow minded thinking Wow. Your the type when they dropped the code from the hobby you probably came UN-glued.  Here is how you sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS7nqwGt4-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou9HV5j8eho

I really feel sorry for you..Making ham radio a fun hobby. Have a joyous day.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:53:46 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: