The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long Distance AM station listening a new craze.  (Read 23176 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2017, 07:05:44 PM »

Going up to Saint Ignace Michigan 4th of July Holiday . The wife and I have to cross the Mackinaw Bridge which broadcasts on 1610 am try to pick up that station in lower Michigan at my house. I am also going to try and get dx am stations from all over a new hobby .Making Ham Radio GREAT AGAIN... Have a joyous DAY..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2HBdRCroks
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:09:43 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 07:08:48 PM »

WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 07:14:09 PM »

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God.

Doing good is like drinking alone. - if it doesn't sting a little sometimes you got some bad stuff, you're doing something wrong.

R.I.P. Dan Huettl, God Bless  

WZ7U  ERIC Drinking Already I see.. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlC1PbY6EoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m13e5FXRcdc
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:25:38 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »

My Icom 718  should pick this up . I will check at 1:00 amest or 0600 G.M.T.. Hope to hear the station.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 09:02:28 PM »

What the heck, 40 METERS and bands up are all dead tonight so I'll contribute some useful info.

KTN you will find that your HF RIG switches in around a 20 db or higher attenuator while receiving in the medium wave (MW) band.

This is done because the front end overloads easily at the typical medium wave broadcast station levels.

You may find a online modification to bypass your General coverage receivers MW attenuators but if you are really serious about medium wave DX LISTENING then a high dynamic range aftermarket preselector,  designed for MW use, is a better choice along with a dedicated receiving antenna such as a MW BEVERAGE.

I used to do clear channel MW YEARS AGO and I was able to pick up a couple of Australian stations but this was at my Prescott Az. qth, at a low noise 5700 feet elevation using a dedicated MW ANTENNA AND preselector.

Google Medium wave dx listening and you should find preselector and antenna ideas.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 12:30:06 AM »

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God.

Doing good is like drinking alone. - if it doesn't sting a little sometimes you got some bad stuff, you're doing something wrong.

R.I.P. Dan Huettl, God Bless  

WZ7U  ERIC Drinking Already I see.. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlC1PbY6EoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m13e5FXRcdc

KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 05:24:32 AM »

WB8VLC Thanks.

Thanks again. So you are saying a preselector is something you buy and hook in conjunction with my icom 718. Again thanks for your time and advice.
KA3AUD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 06:53:45 AM »

Wow!!!!
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 08:01:25 AM »

WB8VLC Thanks.

Thanks again. So you are saying a preselector is something you buy and hook in conjunction with my icom 718. Again thanks for your time and advice.

Like VLC said, "Google Medium wave dx listening" and among other things you'll learn that MW DXing is not a new craze.
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 08:11:03 AM »

There are a dozen Traveller Information Stations (TIS) in Michigan on 1610 so trying to hear the Bridge station from your QTH will be a challenge. 

As VLC mentioned, your rig is not very sensitive on the AM BCB (spec says 13uV).  However; given the atmospheric noise, man made RFI/EMI, front end overload, and IBOC found on that band; extra sensitivity may not do you that much good.  A good preselector, a phasing unit, and an antenna such as a loop or Beverage will be necessary if you are really serious about AM BCB DX.  Also, check out the CCrane Twin Coil Ferrite AM antenna.

Get the latest edition AM Radio Log by the National Radio Club as well as a copy of A DXers Technical Guide by the International Radio Club.  Both are very valuable if you seriously want to get into this.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »

It's definitely not a portable set by any means, but if you can lay your hands on a Mackay Marine 3031 or 3041 (possibly a 3030AR for fixed-channel monitoring) you'll find they work great for LF and MF DXing.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 03:02:34 PM »

WA8ZTZ and N8YX

Thanks for your time and advice . I was going to put up a new long wire today but it was  so windy a good stiff 25 -30 mph wind with greater gusts.I also work 6 days a week 2nd shift I have only one day to mess with the sickness/hobby and I also take care of my 87 year old mom. Anyway thanks for your time and advice take care and be safe. Chuck/kc8ktn.. p.s. Just because I like to post fun posts some out here wound way to tight like to attack. Anyway take care and thanks again.Trying to make ham radio fun again. Wait there will be some negative comments which I will ignore.. 73sss   TONIGHT IS WALKING DEAD AND BLACK SAILS . YES....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:07:45 PM by KC8KTN » Logged
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »

I was going to put up a new long wire today

For a wire antenna, consider the PAR EF-SWL... works great on AM BCB.
Ultimately, if you really get into this AM thing, you will find the need to be able to peak/null various stations.  Hence the need for a loop or other steerable antenna arrangement.
Most of all, have fun with AM DX.  Smiley
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »

I miss Wolfman and the X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXKGTU6iYR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9vC7kupnLo

It was about 30 kc wide. LOL
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 03:58:54 PM by W4AMP » Logged
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 04:01:49 PM »

Transmissions like you are describing Chuck have been, in my experience, very low powered affairs using very compromised antennas. Heck, there is a full on radio station on 1600 (kohi) about 40 road miles away in the county seat running a whopping one KW during the day that I can't pick up at home. Apparently my community is out of the service area.

Like others have posted, you will need an elaborate, steerable/nullable antenna scheme and sensitive receiver to hear these low power transmissions at a distance. Although AM BCB dxing isnt a new craze (except maybe for you) it is one that can be very fun. In a limited sense I do it too, that's how I know it's fun. For example, certain car radios really have sensitive hearing on AM and work really well. Experiment away, it's easy and you will get immediate satisfaction from it. Best of luck, enjoy!  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: