The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: antenna setup for rv.  (Read 1353 times)
KC1ACL

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2017, 07:53:57 AM »

I'm retiring soon and will be going full time RVing.im going to have a ft857d as a mobile rig.what antenna setup would work for me in a class a 36ft rv??? I'm open to any and all suggestions that work.,steven
KK7GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:36:44 AM »

I have been experiencing that same quandary. I think I have found a solution. There is a company that makes a tilt-up base in various configurations (drive on, bolt to a post, etc.) What I think I cam going to do is buy the tilting base and bolt it to the spare tire bracket.

https://www.dxengineering.com/search/part-type/hf-vertical-antenna-mounting-tilt-bases

Hope this helps.

Glenn KK7GB
KI6WJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 03:27:44 PM »

Check my qrz page(KI6WJ) you will see a Eagle One vertical clamped to the ladder on the back of my Alfa Seeya coach. This is a popular fiberglass colapsable pole with a 31 ft wire inside. I have it simply grounded to the chassis  near the antenna. It works very well and easy to get up and down.It has been on my coach for seven years. A vertical is good for the times you are parked under trees and cant raise other types. I sneak it up thru the limbs. There are many RV/hams out there using this antenna. Another popular choice that I know works very well is  a fiberglass pole that you  would hang a dipole with 300 ohm line to a remote tuner. That is about similar cost to a typical screwdriver antenna. A word about screwdriver antennas. I have tried  a couple different types all are designed for mobile use with mounting close to the ground.The antenna is coupled to earth along with the vehicle as the ground plane.Thats a bit simplified but when it is mounted atop a coach it is a new ballgame. The results are harder to tune does not hear as well, more rf coupled  back into the coach, does not hear well  etc. Screwdriver antennas  require some way to be mounted high and lowered for travel, meaning more mechanics. Screwdriver antennas require  some form of a radial system close to its base, which means more junk on the roof. My coach has a aluminum rain gutter running the length of the roof  and I used it. many coaches have plastic gutters. Hope this is some insite. I have done many types of antennas.
Jim
W1JPG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 07:55:13 PM »

After reading K0BG.com multiple times, I ordered a Scorpion screwdriver for my RV.  Fully extended with no whip, it's equivalent to about 85' of wire.  I have a 17' telescoping whip for use when parked, and I ordered a 3' cap hat for use when driving.   When parked, instead of a whip you can add a wire of any length.  Breedlove makes good mounts: rigid, Quick Detach, folding, and powered folding.

I'm not planning any radials, just bonding the vehicle well and making it the best ground plane I can.

My rig is half the size of yours, built for serious off road use, so space is tight.  I'll report back on how the Scorpion works. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: