Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX Marathon; how are you doing so far?  (Read 1633 times)
K3STX

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »

I began the CQ DX Marathon this May, I thought it would spice-up my DXing life (got the idea after reading Lochler's book).
Since May 1 have 176 countries and all 40 zones, 100 watts with "no gain" antennas in the Formula class (verticals, dipoles). No great stories other than the fact that I missed the ARRL DX contest (entered in HP so the new counters do not count for my "low power" Marathon entry). On surprise was how easy it was to get WAZ (but no QSL cards): I got all 40 in only 2 months. My "real" WAZ took me 30 years!

Anyone else doing the Marathon? Having fun, any good stories?

paul
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 12:45:39 AM »

I began the CQ DX Marathon this May, I thought it would spice-up my DXing life (got the idea after reading Lochler's book).
Since May 1 have 176 countries and all 40 zones, 100 watts with "no gain" antennas in the Formula class (verticals, dipoles). No great stories other than the fact that I missed the ARRL DX contest (entered in HP so the new counters do not count for my "low power" Marathon entry). On surprise was how easy it was to get WAZ (but no QSL cards): I got all 40 in only 2 months. My "real" WAZ took me 30 years!

Anyone else doing the Marathon? Having fun, any good stories?

paul

The Marathon escaped my notice for a long time, but it's what I do anyway  Smiley So I may enter for 2011. I know a few other G's who enter, but not that many of them. Obviously it's quite easy to get a quick start over here in EU but I missed most of January due to shack renovations.

400w and a very mini beam, so I'm in the 'unlimited' category.
228 x 40 at the moment...and can't really see myself getting much more than another dozen. dxcc that are still not in my 2011 log, but I would expect them to be, are 6Y, C9, YA, AP, TY and S7.
T31A was a blow out for me  Roll Eyes Heard them twice, weak on 20m at the start of the dxped, and strong on 17 on the last day.

Oddly enough with WAZ, I did that solely on 17m by May.... don't laugh, but 6 has always been my nemesis!

Good luck and have fun.

Andy
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:47:24 AM by M0TTB » Logged
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 05:03:20 AM »

.and can't really see myself getting much more than another dozen. dxcc that are still not in my 2011 log, but I would expect them to be, are 6Y, C9, YA, AP, TY and S7.

228 and 40 is great, I think that is competitive thus far, and we still have CQWW, you will certainly get 6Y there Smiley  .

But you think AP should be easy?! I thought AP was one of the most rare of all countries that have a Ham population. I have never even heard a station from AP on the air.

paul
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:46:59 AM by K3STX » Logged
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:55:53 AM »

Quote from: K3STX

228 and 40 is great, I think that is competitive thus far, and we still have CQWW, you will certainly get 6Y there Smiley  .

But you think AP should be easy?! I thought AP was one of the most rare of all countries that have a Ham population. I have never even heard a station from AP on the air.

paul

Thanks, although seeing some 2011 totals on clublog, I'm miles behind.

AP is most definitely scarce, and for NA even harder. And AP confirmation for anyone anywhere is even harder than working them!

There's usually one active AP on in a year, this year AP2MB has been very active... unfortunately he's always a bit weak here, and is often beaming JA rather than EU (and who can blame him  Grin ) If I had a bit more metal in the air, he'd be in my log for 2011. For the last 2 or 3 months of this year, I will have a bit more in the air with a G3TXQ hex. AP2IA also pops up from time to time, quite often on 17m.

Andy
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 07:20:43 AM »

From the QRP division:

119 countries
33 zones
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 07:38:40 AM »

And AP confirmation for anyone anywhere is even harder than working them!

AP2JZB from 1993 took about 15 years to get a qsl. Not his fault, I didn't send for one until 2008.  Tongue

AP2DKH in 2010 took about 3 weeks from his U.S. qsl manager.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 08:35:07 AM »

AP2ARS was spotted several times yesterday on 17m, but not reported as heard in the US. AP2NK was reported on 20m CW today by W3LPL; I worked Nasir in late April on 20m CW around 0130z.

Dave, AA6YQ
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:18:55 AM »

Wow, thanks for the great tip Dave.  Looking at the Cluster AP2ARS has been very active lately (guest op) and spotted in NA on 17. I'll have to work on this!

paul
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 01:38:38 PM »

Wow, thanks for the great tip Dave.  Looking at the Cluster AP2ARS has been very active lately (guest op) and spotted in NA on 17. I'll have to work on this!

With the solar flux at 122, you have a solid short-path opening to AP on 17m from 21z to 24z.

Dave, AA6YQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: