The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 meter mobile antennas that won't scratch the paint....  (Read 6964 times)
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 12:41:09 PM »

The only other compromise and its a massive compromise in that most of the radiation and reception will occur on the braid of your coax is a glass mount antenna and this is due to the fact that any modern car, esp. one that you just purchased will have passivated glass in which metal particulate is impregnated into the glass during manufacturing as a way to prevent ultra violet radiation from penetrating will act as a giant Faraday and prevent your RF from capacitative coupling through the two elements of the glass mount. But it sure to leave no mark other that some easily removable glue residue come removal.

How many have you used? I have used 3 on 3 different cars. A 2m 1/2 wave i used for over 10 years on one car work well and worked well on fringes and was not deaf. You do not want to place it over in over wires in a heated rear window (stay clear of them) or on a window that is heated electrically via a layer/film embedded in glass. A dual band one i used on one vehicle did not perform as well as a 2m only one.   

John,
What kind of car are you driving that you can still use an on-glass antenna? Are you still driving that car today?
I'm just curious, that's all.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: