The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamstick whip storage  (Read 2031 times)
KK4GGL

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2017, 05:17:29 AM »

I am in the process of putting together a few hamstick style dipoles. Does anyone know if any problems could result from storing the whip inside the fiberglass pole for transport?

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:05:15 AM »

I used ham sticks clones for many years and still do. I used Valor/Pro-Am versions with a B nut on top the whip was held in with a set screw. This allowed B nut to be removed and antenna length roughly cut in have for storage. I did two thing to keep top whips from getting mixed up, I marked base of whip below B nut with scribe marks from a file and then used same number of marks with a perminant marker on base of fiberglass stick. I would also rubber band whip assembly to fiberglass base when storing them and marks were backup if rubber bands failed. I also used a quick disconnect on base to allow quick swaps. I had a suburban and while it was possible to store the full length, I would break them down if I was not planning on using them soon.

As far as storing whip inside base, there is not a major problem but a weakness of this is the set screw holding them is not design for frequent use and will easily strip out head. ( I would carry a bag of spare screws ) The reason I never used hamstick brand sticks is because of this in that you have to use set screw to take them apart. The brand's above mount whip in a B nut that threads out of fiberglass base and breaks down easily.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:30:18 AM »

Some Lakeview "Hamsticks" have wiring internal to the fiber glass tune.  Storing the whip in the tube can can irreparably damage it.  The better choice is the MFJ "Hamtenna" which has the whip installed with a screw-in ferrule.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 07:15:04 AM »

On a side note, it is important that the whip does not extend down into windings on fiberglass base because it effects tuning. If you have to shorten whip to tune to frequency in use, trim stub end on whip so it does not project to inside windings on base.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »

Some Lakeview "Hamsticks" have wiring internal to the fiber glass tune.  Storing the whip in the tube can can irreparably damage it.  The better choice is the MFJ "Hamtenna" which has the whip installed with a screw-in ferrule.
Most of my "Hamsticks" are from Tower Electonics, 1 or 2 from MFJ.  It looks like most of the wire and coil are on the outside of the fiberglass. That's why I was wondering about just sliding the whips into the fiberglass for storage.

Rick KK4GGL
N4MU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:31:32 AM »

I have several hamsticks, in pairs, that I use as dipoles on a telescoping mast. I store them inside a PVC tube. The overall length is just a couple inches longer than the 4' hamstick with PVC caps on each end (bottom cap has 3/16" hole drilled in center for air/moisture release). I identify the whips/sticks with colored electrical tape (20M=red, 30M=orange, 40M=yellow, etc) and it works out great. The PVC tube was cut at about 40" and a coupling glued in place so the remainder is a "cap" for the tube that allows easy access to the sticks and whips. This way you do not have to retune every time you remove/reinstall. Works great!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: