The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom IC-2300H  (Read 4300 times)
KM4ODW

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »

I have a IC-2300H that was working until I was working on the truck. Radio was off but connected power lines backwards. As soon as I saw the spark I pulled the wire. Now the weird part. I can receive fine. When I transmit, my SWR meter is showing 50 watts on 2 meters. But when trying to hit a repeater, no response. Checked Freq (147.28500), Duplex (+) and offset (203.5hz). Tried with my Baofeng HT on the same antenna and repeater responds.

Any one have a suggestion on what to look?

Thanks

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »

If a wattmeter is showing output, it's transmitting somewhere.  Best case scenario is the power insult scrambled something.  Try a factory reset and see if that resolves it.  If not, a frequency counter can tell you where it's actually transmitting.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

KM4ODW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:42:27 AM »

Thanks Mark for the suggestion. I'll try a reset today and see what happens.
KM4ODW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 07:04:00 AM »

If a wattmeter is showing output, it's transmitting somewhere.  Best case scenario is the power insult scrambled something.  Try a factory reset and see if that resolves it.  If not, a frequency counter can tell you where it's actually transmitting.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Did a reset and a CPU reset and still nothing. I do not have a frequency counter but I connected the Icom to my base antenna and nothing. Set to simplex and can receive on my HT and the Icon can receive from my HT.

Any ideals before it goes in the trash?

Thanks

Earl KM4ODW
Middleton, TN

SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 07:45:28 AM »

I have a IC-2300H that was working until I was working on the truck. Radio was off but connected power lines backwards. As soon as I saw the spark I pulled the wire. Now the weird part. I can receive fine. When I transmit, my SWR meter is showing 50 watts on 2 meters. But when trying to hit a repeater, no response. Checked Freq (147.28500), Duplex (+) and offset (203.5hz). Tried with my Baofeng HT on the same antenna and repeater responds.

Any one have a suggestion on what to look?

Thanks

If a simplex test works, I would double check the offset and PL tone.

Offset 203.5hz, a typo?

Are you pressed for time? This post gives me the impression that someone's in a hurry.
KM4ODW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:24:40 AM »

No, not presses for time, I'm retired!!!! Cheesy

ARRL repeater guide 2016-2017, page 347, Corinth, FM, K5WHB, 147.28500, +, 203.5 Hz. But thanks, that made me double check both radios settings. Always a good thing to do when things do not work.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »

I noticed the positive offset. But I would confirm that the transceiver is transmitting 600 kHz up, on the repeater input frequency.

I realize 600 kHz is usually the default on newer radios in the U.S., but it can get changed.

K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 10:53:05 AM »

Easiest way to check is to plug into a service monitor and see what it's transmitting (output power, freq, audio, tones, etc).
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »

Radio was off but connected power lines backwards. As soon as I saw the spark I pulled the wire.

You can't out run a spark;   once that happens, it's tooooo late to avoid damage.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 10:24:38 PM »

IC9, the final amplifiers power control gets its DC input directly from the battery input and it produces the Vdd (drain voltage) for the output transistor

IC9's function is to maintain the transmit output power at a constant level.

When you reversed the battery connections and let the magic smoke out you probably damaged IC-9.

On the positive side, IC-9 may have isolated the high priced final amps Vdd input from the battery and there's a good possibility that the output amplifier may not be damaged, you only damaged IC-9 .
KM4ODW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 03:29:05 PM »

IC9, the final amplifiers power control gets its DC input directly from the battery input and it produces the Vdd (drain voltage) for the output transistor

IC9's function is to maintain the transmit output power at a constant level.

When you reversed the battery connections and let the magic smoke out you probably damaged IC-9.

On the positive side, IC-9 may have isolated the high priced final amps Vdd input from the battery and there's a good possibility that the output amplifier may not be damaged, you only damaged IC-9 .
Can I find a IC-9 and replace it for that old of a radio?
K4QE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »

The IC-2300H is not an old radio.  It is in current production.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: