The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great find of National SW-54 receiver  (Read 2185 times)
N4MJG

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:00:56 AM »

Hi guys !

About 2 wks ago went to ham fest at Birmingham Al, I find a great shape radio  But it missing the bottom board I said no problem ! anyway look like someone been replace new caps and checking make it's working which it is !

The guy marked $40.00 and told me gave 30.00  So I took it  !

I brought it home to see if were working after  I plug it in yup ! sure enough it working !

I was thinking to see how old this thing is ! So I google it  shows up as 1955

I can't believe I stole the good price and great shape ! glad I find one that price !!

Jackie
N4MJG
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:14:28 PM »

I have a few of the National NC-series communications receivers and have restored them all. I wasn't actively looking for old Nationals, but they found me.  Grin
 The SW-54 was the value receiver to compete with the economy Hallicrafters S-38's. They may be sneered at as fair performers and a frustrating rig to use for QSO, but they hooked many people on the shortwave radio bug.
 The 1950's were scary times with the cold war and events in Eastern Europe. Many households wanted to listen in on foreign news reports. This low-priced AM/shortwave receiver fit the bill at the time and many were later handed down to the kids.
 Listening and tuning into shortwave as a child got me started in the hobby.
 Reproduction rear and bottom panels are available at Retro-tronics to make your SW-54 complete:
 http://retro-tronics.com/itemDetails.php?shortDesc=National+SW-54+Radio+Bottom+Cover
 Rubber feet and screws should be found at a local hardware store.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:16:55 PM by KAPT4560 » Logged
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »

I have a few of the National NC-series communications receivers and have restored them all. I wasn't actively looking for old Nationals, but they found me.  Grin
 The SW-54 was the value receiver to compete with the economy Hallicrafters S-38's. They may be sneered at as fair performers and a frustrating rig to use for QSO, but they hooked many people on the shortwave radio bug.
 The 1950's were scary times with the cold war and events in Eastern Europe. Many households wanted to listen in on foreign news reports. This low-priced AM/shortwave receiver fit the bill at the time and many were later handed down to the kids.
 Listening and tuning into shortwave as a child got me started in the hobby.
 Reproduction rear and bottom panels are available at Retro-tronics to make your SW-54 complete:
 http://retro-tronics.com/itemDetails.php?shortDesc=National+SW-54+Radio+Bottom+Cover
 Rubber feet and screws should be found at a local hardware store.

I already find the retro-tronic other day it's already put the bottom board on there everything else in great shape !
AC6AN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:36:23 PM »

Hamfests are great for bargain hunters...
I picked up two Hallicrafters receivers recently, partially working and in need of TLC. Still a no-brainer at $25 for both...
Another time I got a freebie, a complete unbuilt Heathkit power supply.
Turned out that unbuilt Heathkits command premium prices, even power supplies... How nice!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: