The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cw transcievers  (Read 2283 times)
WB7DDI

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2017, 05:37:16 PM »

Does any know what company makes cw only transcievers with 100 watts and up
KA4LFP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 06:32:45 PM »

I'd say an excellent choice would be anything Ten-Tec made --

The older Triton/Omni/Pegasus/Orion rigs are among the best CW rigs that were ever made, and you can get one for less than $200, if you look around.

There is absolutely _nothing_ wrong with a used rig, when it comes to CW, because you simply don't need most of those fancy DSP filters and all that -- the notch/narrow filters in my Omni actually far outperform my FT-857D DSP....

The same can't be said for SSB -- but we are talking CW here.

And, you absolutely don't need 100+ watts for CW --- Look in the QRP forums -- you will see people regularly making CW contacts for thousands of miles, on less than 10 watts.

I routinely hear stations running 5 watts from several continents...
KA4LFP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 06:37:09 PM »

And if you really want CW only --

I have my original Novice rig - a Heathkit HW-16  -- it's one month younger than I am -- 53 years old.
And, a Ten-Tec Century 21 was the classic solid state CW rig for Novices

But the SSB/CW line Ten-Tec put out are just as good at being CW rigs.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:00:38 PM »

Elecraft K2/100
AK4YH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:06:55 AM »

Indeed there is no real need for 100W CW. It would be nice however if someone made a 25W CW transceiver with a switchable power output of 5 or 25W. Adding a small amp does that but adds a board and complexity.

Gil.
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 04:57:54 AM »

The HW-16 was my first intro into this hobby (I'm 65); loved it, sure wish I still had it!

There is NO need for a high powered CW rig.  Even now, I never go above the 15 watt level on CW.

Looking for the HW-16 or even the Ten-Tec Century (both, great CW rigs).

Ken KC8Y
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:46:38 PM »

If you want something currently made - build or buy a K2/100.

Some say you don't need 100 watts - well, that all depends on what you want to do and what antenna(s) you have.

The old Century 21 and the Heathkit HW-16 are great rigs - BUT....

Neither runs 100 watts.

The C21 has a good receiver but it is a form of direct conversion - you hear signals on either side of zero beat, doubling the QRM.

The HW-16 covers only 3 bands (80/40/15 in original form, although many convert them to 80/40/20) and needs an external VFO.

The HW-16 isn't really a transceiver in the modern sense - it's actually a transmitter and receiver in the same box, using a common power supply and a neat control system.

Decades ago, I wanted a CW transceiver that would put out 100 watts on 80/40/20 and didn't cost the earth. I would up designing and building it.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 04:34:29 AM »

The HW-16 isn't really a transceiver in the modern sense - it's actually a transmitter and receiver in the same box, using a common power supply and a neat control system.

That's what makes it so fun to use on the air! Couple that with a low group delay CW-only crystal receive filter, and lack of AGC in the receiver, and it is such a joy.
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 04:45:54 AM »

Indeed there is no real need for 100W CW. [...]

True.  But it sure keeps getting harder and harder with condx as they are these days....

73   Grin
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 06:07:18 AM »

Indeed there is no real need for 100W CW. [...]

True.  But it sure keeps getting harder and harder with condx as they are these days....

73   Grin

No gripe with the QRP crowd. But I do like to put out a strapping CW signal. My yardstick is whether or not I can work most of the stations that I can hear. Having said that, I think that 100w or so with a decent antenna is probably the maximum power ever necessary on the lower bands. Less power needed on 20m and above when those bands are open.

HW-16 with and HG-10 VFO is a pretty dang good setup, especially for 80m/40m...

73 de Steve KE4OH
W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 12:27:01 PM »

Just about all transceivers will do this.  Just disconnect the mic and throw it away.  Instant CW only rig!  Grin

W3TTT
 Grin
(Yes I am trying to be funny)
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »

Just about all transceivers will do this.  Just disconnect the mic and throw it away.  Instant CW only rig!  Grin

W3TTT
 Grin
(Yes I am trying to be funny)

That's what I did with my TS-590S, but I actually SOLD the mic and got some $$$ for a new key! Smiley

paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: