The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Touchup painting on Collins gear  (Read 1359 times)
N6QWP

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »

Have a noticeable blemish on front panel of a Collins S-line amp...but question applies to any and all colors of S-line gear:  (the bezel ring and cases are easy enough to repaint in their entirety-but the front panel is a different issue).

Tried to remove glue left over from where a decal plate was and after exhaustive efforts, managed to get most of the glue off, but the paint from the high points of the wrinkle finish surface have also been either removed or changed color from all the abrasion or excess use of the harsh cleaner.  The area is a rectangle about 1 1/4" x 3" in the lower right side of the front panel along the bottom between the plate tuning knob and the power switch.

Want to know if any of the Collins spray touch up paints available are a good enough match to the original, so that just a small section can be sprayed and blend in without leaving a "color line"?  I know that we are dealing with new touch up paint and surfaces that are 60 some years old and am trying to ask a lot.

If none are that close, any experiences with touching up front panels without getting the decals over-sprayed or having to do the entire front panel over?  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:48:09 PM by N6QWP » Logged
KE7YD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »

Check Surplus Sales of Nebraska.
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 05:06:19 AM »

Success!  Surplus Sales has all three colors in spray cans that are so close, only the tape line is visible....barely.  a toothbrush several days after painting will fade the tape line.  Thanx for the tip. 

Make sure to shake the can for a long period of time before applying.  It really works!
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:29:23 PM »

Thought I would revisit this thread after touching up Collins panel several times to try to eliminate the paint line where the touchup was taped off.

Seems the paint matching WILL NOT BE PERFECT using the spray cans....but you CAN GET VERY CLOSE.  I found that by misting the line where the tape would be, by pulling away and using a piece of cardboard away from the panel will not highlight the tape line.....making the slight difference much less noticeable.

This takes special care and I suggest practicing elsewhere to get the effect without overspraying where you do not want the new paint mist.

Try taping above (or below) where you want the line....and then use a cardboard shield a bit away from the panel and the tape line.  With practice, you will get a passable job that takes scrutinizing to notice the differences.  Good luck.
W1UO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:51:03 PM »

I use Citra-Solv to remove old glue residue.  It's the only thing I have found that doesn't ruin the paint or the patina on the paint. Goo-gone, Goof-off, Scotch-Brite are a no-go for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: