The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: solid state amplifier reliability  (Read 11101 times)
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2017, 09:08:24 AM »

Jim/AB4D,

Hear, hear.

In 1991, my first QSO was with my 1.5 watt CW keyer to my EB-63 solid state amplifier to
a low pass filter to my quarter wave antenna. Wow! Solid state is the way to go.

I thought that then, I think it now.

Today I'm hamming it up with my EB-104 on 17, 20 and 160 meters phone.

If one gets clever enough and we hams are clever, one can rig up a couple of solid state
amplifiers with combiners for a whopping 1,500 watts.

I might just parallel two more MRF-150s to get to 800 watts. Whoo-hooo!

Have fun Jim.

73 and wear that seat belt.

Kraus

KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2017, 12:30:59 PM »

I haven't read the whole thread but I do own an ALS-1306 that I bought as the second owner. It is in totally mint condition. I do not think the other guy even used it.

I can't say I have many hours on it but what I can say is that for the time I have been using it, it has been spot on, on all bands right at 1200 watts where I stop driving it past. At 1200 watts I get wonderful reports and it just plain works. Of course it uses the MRF-150 transistors and as I understand those are  tough transistors as long as you keep them with-in their design limitations.

Again I can't testify to the durability but they are consistent and stable and it makes full power from 6 meters all the way down to 160. 
PA0NVD

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2017, 03:37:34 AM »

I also posted in IMD, but I have quite good experiences with SS amps. I have thwo modified EB104 boards, 1 turn more at the output transformers to increase the output impedance to approx 90 Ohms. So I could combine the amps quite simpel. The boards use the BLF177 set at 550 mA bias each. The amps have 48 Volts and when driven max the output is 1100 Watts. There are NO safety circuits at all. I can transmit full power  (1kW PEP) in a short, an open antenna, into the wrong lowpass filter, tha antenna turer did arc etc, never had a problem. The amp seems indestructable. The only thing is that the neg. feedback resistors get hot when transmitting constant full carrier. The IMD3 seems close to 36 dB
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: