Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRM  (Read 524 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
QRM
« on: October 23, 2008, 06:24:40 AM »

Are there any known/reported/documented instances of someone (perhaps a ragchewer) getting their A$$ kicked (or worse) for QRMing another ham (perhaps a DXer)?  Gene AF3Y
K3NRX

Ignore
QRM
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:56:49 AM »

Dude. You need to cool your jets. QRM is part of the scene.  If you are experiencing (deliberate) QRM during a DX pursuit and it's aggrivating you to the point where you have to ask something like this, then you need to take a cold shower, and work the DX another time.  Someone would probably say the same thing to me regarding pileups, which I detest, but that's the nature of the beast in this hobby.  If it's bugging you to this point, then report the QRM.  I am sure, even in this era of deregulation on the frequencies, that there are ways to do it.

Vince P
KA3NRX

AF3Y

Ignore
QRM
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 10:30:31 AM »

Vince.. You are reading something into my post. (Even tho I do get some semi-hostile feelings from time to time, both on and off the air, heh heh). Perhaps I should have mentioned (did not think it was really necessary) what prompted this post. I actually heard a "kick your butt" threat from one ham to another on the air last week. Both hams used US callsigns and were in the same call area (which does not really mean much). This exchange went from "Kiss my butt" to "I should KICK your butt" and one said something to the effect of " your home address is on QRZ, you know?". This did not sound like these guys were joking. No, I personally have not reached that point, and doubt if I ever will, being too old and too fat to fight any more. But, being a sorta new ham, this episode made me wonder if any of you old-timers have ever heard of this actually happening. Hope that straightens this one out. But, I still would like to know... 73, Gene AF3Y
K3NRX

Ignore
QRM
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »

No, I personally have not reached that point, and doubt if I ever will, being too old and too fat to fight any more.

REPLY: I know the feeling!...:-DD...

But, being a sorta new ham, this episode made me wonder if any of you old-timers have ever heard of this actually happening. Hope that straightens this one out. But, I still would like to know.

REPLY: Sure does, Gene. You had me concerned there for a while.  Sorry about the misinterpretation.  I am sure it has happened, but probably not to any huge extent where someone was actually pursued like that. Most of the time, went people do that, they are spewing all bark and not bite, thankfully. And you can't deny, it sure does make for good entertainment. Depending on what you like as entertainment, that is!

Vince P
KA3NRX

K9NW

Ignore
QRM
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 03:01:40 PM »

Can't cite any specific incidents but it wouldn't surprise me in these times.  Back in the day, an occasional coax might get pinned after some perceived transgression against another.  Today the parties might be just as likely to want to throw down.
AA6YQ

Ignore
QRM
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 11:55:32 PM »

High-speed anti-radiation missiles retuned for ham-band operation are quite effective...

Dave, AA6YQ
KU4UV

Ignore
QRM
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 04:02:59 AM »

I've never heard of any instances of ham operators actually getting into physical confrontations over anything like intentional QRM'img in my short 16 years as a ham.  I DO know of at least one (and probably a lot more) cases of guys during the C.B. days meeting each other in parking lots and such and beating the hell out of each other, or worse.  I remember there was actually one case back in the 70's of a couple of guys that had it out with guns over an on-air argument.  When the smoke cleared, one of the guys lay dead.  A much more less violent means of setteling on-the-air conflicts during the C.B. days used to involve a well-placed straight pin through a piece of coax.  I have heard guys on the C.B. threaten to hook a pickup truck up to someone's beam and eliminate it.  Hopefully we amateur radio operators are a cut above this type of behavior, but I sometimes wonder.  I just take my Cymbalta, have a shot of Evan Williams, and spin the dial.

Mike KU4UV
K0OD

Ignore
QRM
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 10:11:54 AM »

Yeah, I remember the CB revenge killing years ago. Never heard of a similar ham incident.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: