The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two meter SSB activity in northern NJ  (Read 4873 times)
K2PHD

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »

Can anyone give me any indication as to the kind and amount of SSB activity on two meters in northern NJ?
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »

I hear quite a bit on the SSB calling frequency, not nearly as much as on .52 FM which is very active. Not sure what your set up is but I would be happy to set up a sked with you, we should be able to make it. I'm in the Pocono's about 50 or so miles from you and run a 12 element wide spaced beam at close to 70' and QTH is on top of a mountain at 2,000' ASL.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »

I knew a ham in NJ who said he used to make regular contact with a station in Rhode Island on 2 meter SSB.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KA2BPP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 10:57:13 AM »

Plenty. Check out 144.205 any morning from say 7am to 10am local time. the ON4KST chat pages will hook you up
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 12:58:49 PM »

I knew a ham in NJ who said he used to make regular contact with a station in Rhode Island on 2 meter SSB.
  There is a good path over water from the Jersey shore to the shorelines of Long Island, CT, RI, and MA!  Have had many contacts on 2 meters (as well as other frequencies) via that path!
N1GMV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 09:15:12 AM »

Try this page to coordinate contacts http://www.on4kst.org/chat/login.php?band=8
Most are on Saturday morning
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 11:16:03 AM »

Listen this week end.
VHF contest starts 2 pm.
6m, 2m 1.25m, 70 cm and up.
SSB and FM .
Good luck.
KC3ECJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 09:53:54 AM »

Im regularly on 2m ssb. 144.200,  144.205,  144.150(sstv, Olivia, psk31, mfsk16, etc.), and a club near wilkesbarre has a net wednights at 800 on 144.210.
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 11:04:29 PM »

I hear quite a bit on the SSB calling frequency, not nearly as much as on .52 FM which is very active. Not sure what your set up is but I would be happy to set up a sked with you, we should be able to make it. I'm in the Pocono's about 50 or so miles from you and run a 12 element wide spaced beam at close to 70' and QTH is on top of a mountain at 2,000' ASL.

There's been a lot more 2m SSB in the area, but FM simplex has a bit more here as well. There's a reason though.

Mainly, a lot of new hams are not aware of the SSB/CW and digital modes in use. Plus, being new hams on a budget and ease of operations as well installation is their choice in the beginning. Over time they get complacent and usually just don't want to go through the trouble of setting up a station. It's easier to carry a portable, or run a mobile using repeaters. Problem is what happens in a black out, or CME/EMP situation? Areas where repeaters are distant and limited?

For some reason they don't get that with SSB/CW your gaurenteed more efficiency and distance coverage over FM. You also have the benifit of hearing multiple stations sometimes in between one another. You have less noise on those modes over FM. It's easier to install a vertical and use repeaters, but there are restrictions sometimes and disadvantages.

Now for the author of this post here's my advice.

On SSB with a few watts and a good Yagi I can work from Massachusetts down to Virginia and eastern Long Island to PA up to the Great Lakes fairly consistent. Stacked loops and some power does well. Grant it, there are some variables, but SSB/CW is a thousand times better than operating a repeater, or simplex Frequency.

Just build a 2m station and don't rely on people's opinion. Make your own assessment, because there's no opinion that can reassure what your own mind will give you and that is a satisfied feeling that only experience can provide.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:07:32 PM by N2RRA » Logged
KA2FIR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »

Groups in NYC metro area on 144.205 and 144.240.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: