The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPEAKER for SWLing  (Read 14480 times)
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 04:30:27 AM »

Of course all of the advice provided in this thread is quite good and legitimate. I simply tried to put my advice in perspective as being a simple and cost effective solution to a question that comes up often; "What is the best.....? Others also offered similar suggestions to mine and I didn't denigrate anyone else's input here. I would love to hear what KD2E's response was to all this advice and if he feels more enlightened by the responses offered to him or if he tried any of the suggestions and what the results were.  I think the previous poster read too deeply into the intent of my use of words and some emotional response ensued.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 04:31:32 AM »

The little Radio Shack 21-549a works great for all reception types. Pick one up if you can find one.it is only a 4 inch speaker and a small mobile type enclosure but sounds great, better than any that I have tried.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:42:04 AM by SWMAN » Logged
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 11:22:36 AM »

Well I think that removing the white noise & other unwanted sounds makes any speaker a better speaker.I use a ClearSpeech DSP module on every radio that I have for SSB or AM.It takes the noises away & leaves the voices that I'm trying too hear & it makes listening a real pleasure & takes the strain out of hearing those weak signals.It makes hearing stations you would have never known were there easy & a real pleasure.I like them so well I own (5) of them at this time.I can't imagine not having them in my shack or mobile because I don't want any unwanted noise that adds stress to listening.  Smiley

Clayton
W4KVW
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »

KVW,
 Would you mind sharing the Clear Speech DSP module info. Is a little unit that goes between the radio and an external speaker or is it a speaker itself. Thanks, Jim W5JJG
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »

Well I think that removing the white noise & other unwanted sounds makes any speaker a better speaker.I use a ClearSpeech DSP module on every radio that I have for SSB or AM.It takes the noises away & leaves the voices that I'm trying too hear & it makes listening a real pleasure & takes the strain out of hearing those weak signals.It makes hearing stations you would have never known were there easy & a real pleasure.I like them so well I own (5) of them at this time.I can't imagine not having them in my shack or mobile because I don't want any unwanted noise that adds stress to listening.  Smiley

Clayton
W4KVW

How does the DSP work for music or programming containing incidental music, etc?
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 10:18:27 AM »

I have to say that if one wants to hear weak-signal voice SW signals, a good pair of mono headphones are a necessity. With headphones, you can turn the AF Gain knob down further than with an external speaker, because headphones don't require as much "juice" to drive them. For music signals, I'd go with the Minimus 7 or any of the other small passive Realistic speakers.
ZL2MC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 07:26:17 PM »

I had a problem with "mono-ised" headphones in that they were so sensitive that I heard all the noise and hum from the receivers internal audio amp - I made an attenuator from three resistors inside the jack plug so now I have the audio gain up at about the 11am position to get sufficient audio signal and no noise/hum.

My stereo speakers are driven through a small amp and a 4-channel mixer with tone controls - now I tailor the audio to suit the signal - mid boost for SSB - flat for a good music station etc...  Trouble is, too many input signals when I really only want to listen to one...  Sad
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 04:52:47 AM »

Forget speakers.

Headphones is where it's at.

x2
SHORTWIRE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 07:35:05 AM »

Any speaker that will sound well for Mahler will be good for SWL, at least supposing that you are listening to strong signals. If you want to do DX'ing and dig weak idents out of the noise it is a different matter.

I still subscribe to the philosophy that the speaker should be neutral, and the radio and filters should do the diggin'  Grin

The content is a different problem, unless you are a chinese businessman seeking his fortune,  or a romanian expat.

The first use the internet, and the second is often in jail for having sought other people's fortunes.  Angry
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 02:45:09 PM »

Try Pasrts Express.com for a nice fat catalog of raw drivers and speaker kits.  A clean hi fi midrange speaker does a nice job on voice and as speakers are usually standard sizes you can upgrade your Drake MS 4, for example, to sound really good.  Don't forget some damping material for the cabinet. 
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 03:49:46 AM »

Forget speakers.
Headphones is where it's at. E[...] Kraus

As in the movie "The Graduate," one word: Radiosport.   RS20S -- http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/radioSport/Headsets.asp 

Only cans to make me give up my JRC ST-3.  I use them with my R8 -- a whole new world. 

73   Roll Eyes
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2017, 07:32:45 AM »

What is the best speaker for SWLing?  If you ask 100 hams, you will get 100+ answers (people will change their minds as they read other's answers).  This is a wildly subjective area.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 06:10:45 PM »

What is the best speaker for SWLing?  If you ask 100 hams, you will get 100+ answers (people will change their minds as they read other's answers).  This is a wildly subjective area.

The only reason any ham wouldn't select the Minimus speaker is they haven't tried it. For general listening, nothing else beats it with the exception of a 8" full range with whizzer cone, 8 ohm in a proper enclosure.
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 10:49:59 AM »

And after all this blah blah blah, KD2E never once had the courtesy to comment back as to what he tried to fulfill his dream...THE SPEAKER for SWLing.  If you ask a question and everyone trys to help you, you should at least let everyone know what you settled on and how it worked out, etc.  Most of the guys who respond are trying to be helpful.  There is level of courtesy that should be extended to those taking the time to help you.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 04:40:01 AM »

For communications quality, a good old Motorola mobile speaker can't be beat (the plastic case ones). For music, I second the the RS Minimus 7, if you can find them.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: