The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7200 KHZ  (Read 10947 times)
WB6MMJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 03:21:30 PM »

Yep. That`s how you handle it.
Hide your head in the sand by spinning the VFO.
All the problems on the bands will go away when you spin the VFO.
Some people !!! LOL
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 03:27:23 PM »

Thank God my radio has a VFO.  I can avoid that freq.
Art
W0XX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 04:15:17 PM »

So very true, WOW!
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »

The choice is to spin the dial or change your hobby to messing with sickies.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 05:40:10 AM »

Thank God my radio has a VFO.  I can avoid that freq.
Art
Maybe we should take up a collection for The Rockbound (play on the old 'The Starlost' TV series) so they can escape the confines of their torment and QSY?  Grin
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 07:07:31 AM »

Oh...what the heck. In for the inevitable sheet show and subsequent thread lock.

(popcorn.gif)
I've got extra butter.  Do you prefer sea salt, or a particular flavor?
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 07:12:43 AM »

I have just listened to the sample on youtube. A couple of things are clear. 1.) The problem is large. 2.) There seems to be little enforcement on the illegalities on that frequency. 3.) It is my impression that many of the people are unlicensed offenders,

I think a couple of convictions would go far in cleaning up 7200 Khz. I personally know a retired FCC person from the Laurel monitoring station. I will see who he can put me in touch with,

Renee KC3NG
Good luck with that.

The recent (and not so recent) issues with alleged miscreants on certain infamous frequencies have been reported to the FCC, ad infinitum ad nauseum.  With details, tapes, DF readings, the whole schmeer.

Little has been done. 

It's not that the Enforcement Bureau hasn't been busy -- they have -- but (amongst other things) it would appear that due to cut backs, shifted priorities, and reallocated resources, doing much if anything about these alleged miscreants has fallen far down the priority list. 

Until the EB gets another person like Riley Hollingsworth, ie, someone who gives a hoot and has the resources behind him (or her) to clean up these frequencies... it's not going to happen.

That doesn't make it right, nor does it condone any improper, let alone illegal, activities.  Just facing the reality.

Spin the dial.  Or pass the popcorn.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 08:00:06 AM »

<snip>
....nor does it condone any improper, let alone illegal, activities.
<snip>
The devil's in the details, and that little bolded gotcha is one heck of a demon. Failing to meet published technical and operational standards should be grounds for FCC involvement. Subject matter and manner of discourse are often issues of free speech, and as such ought to be of secondary concern - if of concern at all. Unfortunately, one often becomes conflated with the other - as many (now deleted) threads on this topic have attested.

It's illegal to jam, or to maliciously interfere with ongoing communications. It's illegal to play music or doctored recordings of on-air conversations in an attempt to cause interference to others.

It's not illegal to tell one of your QSO-mates/fellow frequency denizens that you think he's an ass.

If you feel it is, then do what K4ZDH once advised and

Spin the dial.
W2NAP

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »

<snip>
<snip>
It's illegal to jam, or to maliciously interfere with ongoing communications. It's illegal to play music or doctored recordings of on-air conversations in an attempt to cause interference to others.

Spin the dial.

hell just the music players and jammers getting pimp slapped by the feds would do wonders

I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 12:37:59 PM »

<snip>
<snip>

Spin the dial.

hell just the music players and jammers getting pimp slapped by the feds would do wonders
Watch what happens if they try to play that game on LPFM.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 09:30:43 PM »

Just a question, I am under the understanding that 40 meters is sometimes used as an overseas broadcast medium. I have heard many stations from out of the country broadcasting music, sermons, news and such. Could it be this is what you are hearing on 7200 MHZ? When I hear this type of broadcast I simply tune to a clear frequency.

73s

K2OWK 
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 02:44:08 AM »

Just a question, I am under the understanding that 40 meters is sometimes used as an overseas broadcast medium. I have heard many stations from out of the country broadcasting music, sermons, news and such. Could it be this is what you are hearing on 7200 MHZ? When I hear this type of broadcast I simply tune to a clear frequency.

73s

K2OWK 
No...anyone who regularly listens to the frequency can attest that the music is not the work of broadcasters, but rather a few agents provocateur.
WB0MPB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 11:18:01 PM »

Another new hams learns about 7.200 and he thinks it can be cleaned up. It has been going on for years.  Just move on to another frequency and let the little children have their spot on the band to play. If you stop to listen then you have no one to blame but yourself.  Just let Captain Dave and his gang play.  I don't spend a second letting them drive up my anxiety.  Why do you want to??
John, WB0MPB
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 04:41:22 AM »

Some people are so serious about this hobby that they are ready to join a posse to bring justice, law and order to the territory. They get so emotionally attached to the virtual world of ham radio that they ascribe some visceral reality to it. Let's face it, for most hams this hobby is basically a make believe world of weather report nets, boring discussions, auto-macro digital communications, and paper chasers that need to prove they've achieved something in life. Now before you condemn what I say, I believe that every ham or group of hams can find their niche in ham radio. Some prefer to scream and yell at each other, curse, etc. That's how they derive their fun in the hobby. Others believe they can make a difference in EmComm by drinking ARRL koolaid. Others are only interested in collecting silly pieces of paper to prove that they have contacted every entity on earth, even if they have to cheat to get it. Others are content to check into numerous nets and provide their local weather report thinking everyone else on the net gives a hoot. I can go on but I won't. So you are indignant about 7200...ok. Record every offender and lodge formal complaints with the FCC. Trade letters with them and build a portfolio of correspondence with them...hey it could turn into a new sub part of the hobby like award chasing. If hams are breaking part 97 and you feel compelled to report it go ahead; you're in your rights to do so. The ARRL official observer program is waiting for others to join their ranks. However, since there are 740,000 licensed amateurs out there and even if 30% are active and 1% of them are QRM repeat offenders.....well that's a lot of people that need to be tracked down and put out of business. Sounds like a great sub part of the ham radio hobby....the self policing mandate that the ARRL promotes. Ok, please go forth and keep us updated how far you get with this. Or as others have said...spin the dial. I'm not a religious man but there is a passage in the bible, not sure what testament that goes something like this. If thine eyes offend thee, pluck them out.
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 10:26:45 AM »

I have just reactivated and in the sixties did a fair amount of DFing on 75. Since 75 has always died during day the due to absorption i have turned to 40 in the day and to my horror I have discovered 7200 Khz and the lunacy on that frequency, This is the first time I've ever heard music on the ham bands. I recognize a need to know more about this. My guess is that there is more than one station involved and am considering what to do about it. Please if you have an account of 7200 or would like to be a part of cleaning it up, add to this thread.

Do you have a idea how local any of the participants may be?

Renee KC3NG

Renee I'm with you. I got my license, set up a station, and found 7200. I posted a post similar to yours. I expected to find support, maybe a group effort to DF on the DQRM, track them down, a mass complaint filling with the FCC. I found no support, a little apathy, and I mostly got blasted for suggesting it was even a problem. Now two years on the air 7200 is like the Chinese BC stations at the top of the band, it is just spectrum that is occupied and not available. Nothing more.

You would think DFing on them and tracking them down would be great Radio Sport, but there are few takers. So book mark the FCC complaint page, report it occasionally, but stick to the part 97 violations such as jamming, music, no call ID. Foul language and ignorant speech is a protected right these days and only weakens the FCC's case.

Most important is if you run into one of these guys during a QSO ignore them like they do not exist. A few stray from 7200 on occasion. DO NOT engage them. You never wrestle  with a pig, you both get dirty, people have a hard time telling you apart, but most of all the pig likes it. Just click your link for the complaint form and stick to the facts.

As for the sheet show, these topics can run 20 pages on why it is ok or hopeless before it disappears.

With the growth of on-line SDRs it is becoming easier to DF and geo-locate a target and there are a few groups getting good at it. So maybe....

K1HMS

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:45:10 AM by K1HMS » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: