The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for a good Android based CW trainer?  (Read 4011 times)
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 10:14:44 AM »

A good trainer is to just listen to 40meters about 7100-7125 kc.

...but not on this side of the Atlantic, where that bit of band is firmly in the "All Modes" area, and therefore mostly SSB. The nearest to a "Novice" bit of band over this side is around 3550 - 3560 kHz (-ish) but it's not that busy.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 09:05:19 PM »

A good trainer is to just listen to 40meters about 7100-7125 kc.

...but not on this side of the Atlantic, where that bit of band is firmly in the "All Modes" area, and therefore mostly SSB. The nearest to a "Novice" bit of band over this side is around 3550 - 3560 kHz (-ish) but it's not that busy.

Ok then, one needs an android program and a 40M yagi Smiley

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
KA8BMA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 07:44:40 AM »

I did a post on kb6nu.com recently with my android experiences.
http://www.kb6nu.com/?s=Android
Check it out.
Rick  ka8bma
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 09:06:31 AM »

The nearest to a "Novice" bit of band over this side is around 3550 - 3560 kHz (-ish) but it's not that busy.
A pity... I remember in G land when it was really nicely busy in the evenings... I remember 3553 being some dutch CW Ops hanging out there, and ...-. . . - which also graces the cover of Morsum Magnificat, but I'm not sure what it means (unless a V then a spaced out V joined on).
One can make a nice dance: ...-. . . - ...-. . . - ...-. . . -. . . -. . . - (try it, it sounds nice dance).
And on 3574 used to be OT Nick LA3X, used to QSO with him most evenings, so CW was quite a lot all the way up that far.
I'm still impressed, when listening on European web SDRs at the levels of activity compared to VK.... you cannot imagine how POOR it is in VK, there are even times you don't hear any SSB but MOST of the time you don't hear any CW CQ nor QSO on any band. It's improved though a fair bit thanks to VK5EEE arriving here  Grin

Yes, it's not so easy as in the old days when 15m novice band was full of super slow CW, and HF as a whole, full of CW that could be used to practice with, from maritime radio, military, police, all sorts of CW all over the place! Very little is left outside amateur radio bands now, still there, but not much.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever
VK5EEE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »

Those with Androids may like to install SMS2CW it works quite well, allows you to listen to SMS while driving, or without taking pocket out of the phone. your phone out of your pocket.

Long Live Real Human CW and wishing you many happy CW QSO - 77 - CW Forever
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 04:35:32 PM »

You could use an sw receiver or an ht that has general coverage receive. With a short length of wire for an antenna you could copy code on most of the hf bands. I got my code practice from listening to qso's. It certainly worked for me. Better than eating up all your data.
YT9TP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 01:08:15 AM »

Let me add one more useless (but on topic) suggestion: get SDR USB dongle and you can attach it to your android (see on topic) and listen radio. Do not forget antenna, some dipole for 40 meters will do nicely. Wherever you are, you can get it out of pocket, and train, regardless of Internet availability.

Now seriously, these two are fine:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smokyink.morsecodementor

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.iz2uuf.cwkoch
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: