The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting users on moderation/ probation  (Read 35236 times)
W9BB

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2017, 06:01:15 PM »

I don't follow Ann Coulter, no matter how cute...and her issues are hers to work out.  This forum is a totally different issue not even closely related.  Politics I don't get into here or anywhere else.  I have my opinions and that is where they stay with me.  Ta Ta For Now...
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »

Ta ta's....where?

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2017, 04:57:15 AM »

I personally enjoy the fellowship offered by these forums and I learn something new everyday. Too many times, an angry response will start a thread war. I see it happen time after time when the 'Report to moderator' button should have been used in the first place. Don't try to fix it yourself, let the moderator handle it.
 Escalating a volatile discussion does nothing for promotion of the hobby or the forums in general. I have learned to 'zip my lip' when I want to vent on someone. It's time to move on. Live and let live.
 I work with a team of moderators on another board. If a moderator feels that he or she can't make a fair decision on a situation, they will ask another moderator to follow through on it. We can always fall back on a group decision.
 The TOS (terms of service) is referred to as the ground rules for topic discussions. When things get political, harassing or demeaning, then it is time to consider action. We need to act like Elmers and be inclusive and accepting of people different than ourselves.
 I do see some very opinionated members here that should think for a moment before they click on the 'post' button. I would never say to a person's face what some here use as a response. It is possible to disagree in a friendly manner without trashing an individual and having others pile in.
 The terms of service should be about the Golden Rule and respect of others. This means that some things said are off-limits and others need a moderator to referee.
 Use the emoticons if you are being sarcastic or using off-the-wall humor. Some may take what you say literally or misunderstand your intended message.
 Have a great day.  Grin
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2017, 05:12:13 AM »

I don't follow Ann Coulter, no matter how cute...and her issues are hers to work out.  This forum is a totally different issue not even closely related.  Politics I don't get into here or anywhere else.  I have my opinions and that is where they stay with me.  Ta Ta For Now...

My point is I agree with you. Folks shouldn't come here to whine about their radio or how a vendor did them wrong.
Folks don't have to come here. And if they read something which angers them, it's their fault.

Fellowship is why this thing exists. Problem being very little fellowship occurs here.

Be safe everyone.

Kraus
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2017, 08:07:58 PM »

I have noticed that we have a few individuals who add nonsense to discussion threads that end up turning them in to flame wars or way off-topic (a couple in Misc are an example). Rather than shutting down a thread might it be an alternative to put those particular people on "probation" where every post they make is held-back until it is reviewed and approved by a moderator?

It would be less disruptive to the rest of the forum users and can also serve as a tool to either modify the behaviors of the individual in question or to encourage them to find somewhere else to go to (like /dev/null).

I understand that it may become burdensome to the moderators but it is a technique that has been used on other forums to minimize disruptive influences.

Astonished this question comes from one of the brightest, insightful souls here.

In the long arc of time, doesn't matter Tish. 
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2017, 07:18:32 PM »

Tish, the man ENJOYS what he does.  Many reasonable people here go through lots of ethical gymnastics trying to pin down how they should feel, all the while he's getting a charge at all of the mayhem he's created.  I might gently suggest that the consideration he gets is not warranted.  He knows full well how to get his daily fix, and he doesn't care who or how he manipulates others, and completes episode invoking the name of God.

The man is a sociopath and needs help, period.
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2017, 01:48:07 PM »

Tisha if you are that riled up by the posts here on E-ham you are in the wrong place.  This Site is for thick skinned folks who obviously have figured you out.  This Site is about money, I guess I could go on but I don't think you understand.  You let your emotions control you.  Good luck, maybe you can find a better forum that puts more people on probation.  Have you listened on the AIR?  Good luck.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »

Look, I get her beef. I do. And I sympathize with the position as well.

But - when a certain individual gets to run amok, as it were, unchecked - yeah a few people are going to retaliate to that. I include myself in that and yes I know that the induhvidual in question is playing me at times. However, I can tell when he gets irked with me; when he makes snide comments about my signature or something I've posted, that usually gives it away. I take it all in stride anymore because I've come to the conclusion that, despite my feelings about it, the question still persists:

and there's nothing I can do about it.

It's up to the moderators or the owners to decide who gets to play on their private property, not us the users. If enough of those posts get flagged by enough people perhaps the feeling will be made abundantly clear. Till then, all we can hope for is more 73ssss powders. With Plutonium Nyborg, preferrably  Wink

K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »

Look, I get her beef. I do. And I sympathize with the position as well.

But - when a certain individual gets to run amok, as it were, unchecked - yeah a few people are going to retaliate to that. I include myself in that and yes I know that the induhvidual in question is playing me at times. However, I can tell when he gets irked with me; when he makes snide comments about my signature or something I've posted, that usually gives it away. I take it all in stride anymore because I've come to the conclusion that, despite my feelings about it, the question still persists:

and there's nothing I can do about it.

It's up to the moderators or the owners to decide who gets to play on their private property, not us the users. If enough of those posts get flagged by enough people perhaps the feeling will be made abundantly clear. Till then, all we can hope for is more 73ssss powders. With Plutonium Nyborg, preferrably  Wink

Well consider this.  IF the majority of the users, put a couple of people on ignore, and IF that majority never again speak of them and for sure don't quote them so that their posts are never seen by the majority, and to warn any newcomers that unless they themselves wish to be put on ignore eventually if they continue to  quote them,  Then those on ignore truly disappear into the ether.  Never to be seen again.  So the end result, is WE the majority IF we can agree, and IF we can prevail  then we will truly have made policy. 
And there is nothing the moderators nor the ignorees can do about it.  Yes there sure are a lot of IF's in my above statement.  But it could work.
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2017, 08:29:42 AM »

'UA,

Your model comes apart when the disruptive attention seeker posts off-topic nonsense or outright troll material and those who don't have said troll on their Ignore lists report the post (or thread) to the staff. What happens is that otherwise useful threads are locked as a result.

Managing users on a forum such as this isn't difficult. A kind note telling them to knock off their behavior (followed by a temporary ban if the offense is repeated) is usually sufficient to get the attention of all but the most dense.
W0AEW

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »

Spank 'em.  Spank 'em with the Golden Ruler!

Wink
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »

And when he's done spanking him, he must spank you and I. He must spank all of us.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2017, 09:47:26 PM »

Now this is getting weird.

KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2017, 06:46:40 PM »

Naughty  Zoot.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »

Now this is getting weird.

And now I have to wonder how many pages of this thread will go poof in the night....... Cheesy

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: