The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Calf T Hunters & Drones  (Read 26965 times)
N6JSX

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:05:32 PM »

Got a question for So Calf T Hunters - have you band the use of drones having a hidden T attached?   Huh

I could see some real fun for the hider in dangling a 1W HT under a gyro stabilized drone hovering in place as a hidden T; or hovering over the San Gabriel Mountains to bait the hunters in the general direction while hiding the in the California desert(s) or Kern River Valley/Lake Isabella. Knowing some of the hunter/hiders I could see them doing a drone leap-frog to just frustrate hunters and add up the miles.  Roll Eyes

I got condemned for hiding on top a freeway walk-bridge dangling the TV-twin lead J thru the rain pipe over the traffic, at night - with the cars/trucks blowing the TV-J into weird polarizations it sure complicated the hunters life. Then unintentionally the freeway wall sound barriers acted like 2m conduits only allowing the signal to squirt out miles away in both directions. Some hunters wanted to kill the 1W hider.  Grin

W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »

I think you meant "banned" in terms of thoughts of using drones.  Simply said, the objective is to find a hidden transmitter, not a moving one.

Instead of imagineering a way to frustrate t-hunters, think outside the box...... Using drones for lifting small scale repeaters.

Like during a post disaster situation.  Then again, a helium filled balloon could do the same thing.

Lee
W6EM/4
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:54:29 PM »

You obviously never hunted N6MI.... He was one of the creators of multiple transmitters on the same frequency (146.565) at the same time hides in the 80/90's. Since some hiders could not be successful in hiding a single transmitter (per the Rules) without being found they went for multiples (even timed them) to create mayhem.

Oh we had a few hiders that rotated the T beam at ~1RPM, another tethered a T to a helium balloon over the freeway, another put a 2m J inside watertight PVC and sunk it to the bottom of a 3 foot deep creek (Hunters don't like getting their feet wet) and another put the T inside a police car in downtown LA (with a cop in it) and another put the T in a buoy in Newport Harbor Bay. But they were all single transmitters not multiples on the same freq.

Now we have had multiple Transmitters but you had to find the first one to discover the second frequency and then the second to get the third frequency (usually the near the end point/Denny's restaurant.

After this multiple transmitters on same freq became a fad - it was time to show them how a hunt could still be creative and challenging - I had two T's at the same freq at the same time just off Hwy2 Angeles Crest & the washed out Hwy 39 above Azusa for a So Cal all-night hunt.  As you walked down the old highway I setup an IR movement sensor that would turn off (plus 45sec) the 3W Transmitter around the bend some 100ft and well cammo hidden. Across the San Gabriel Canyon I had a ~50mW transmitter w/rubber-duckie tethered over the side of the canyon rock wall that was on all the time. But do to being over the side of the canyon rock face you could never get a fix on it when near/above nor could you hear any hytrodyne'ing. Instead you got a fix on the 3W transmitter on the opposite side of the canyon. If you got suckered up Hwy 39 and decided to hike the road washout it was a long ~3mi trek past Crystal Lake. Finally when a few hunt teams got into the area (and that was only due to them spotting me in my car) and one walking on the old HWY killing the 3W did they figure out what I was doing finding my tether ed transmitter. Both transmitters were within site of one another about 500ft apart.  Tongue

I always tried to create a challenge in my hides and often I would bounce my signal to create hunter mayhem, such as hiding a few blocks form LAX directly under one of the runway approaches when the jets were still at 800-1000' on final in full view of the runway. I pointed my 2m Quad beam straight up at 2W and bounced the signal off the belly of incoming jets. Arrivals to LAX were about 2-4min apart.

Or another was a high power hide that was rarely ever done. I found a blind little deep 30' ravine in Diamond Bar that it's mouth pointed directly at Mt Baldy. I put my 10element wide spaced Quagi in it pointing at Mt Baldy at ~100W plus ERP. Directly to the rear 180degrees relative was the starting point. All senior hunters know NEVER to hunt a Mt Baldy bearing - it is a bounce (but not this time). Hunters finally came into the area to find their radios over-loaded and could not attenuate or get closer than a half mile - so they started sniffing way out, long walk - only TDOA's/phase type Super DF'er sniffers got it all others using S-type sniffers got swamped. Best part was I was up on the a canyon over looking my T watching all the flashlights searching - then as hunters found it and called me on the check-in frequency I had them join me to watch the others struggle - great fun and a very valuable lesson hunting HIGH power that no one had done in +10hrs. Lots of hunting equipment got changed due to this hide.  Huh   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: