The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Troubleshooting SB-200 no output  (Read 5118 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2017, 08:53:19 AM »

Big part of the problem is the ham "ticket" itself these days. There was a time when you really had to know a few things about how and why things work but that day is long gone now and tickets are little more than mail order these days. Many modern operator are not really qualified to use equipment proper they own or use but knowledge requirements have been gutted.

Yep yer right John.... and then they ask an old fart for help and after getting it become incensed and insulting.  Talk about biting the hand that feeds ya..... Daymn! 

I guess I've become so callous that I don't even realize that I've become "condescending," nasty or insulting......  probably a few other things in the same category.  I guess if I was presently in college I'd have to take a sensitivity class or two or three.....

ATTENTION ONE AND ALL:  I apologize for my callous behavior.  I sincerely don't mean to be that way.  Honestly, I'm a nice guy.  Cry

AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 09:00:06 AM »

My bitch is that these days so many want everything handed to them without working for it.

Big part of the problem is the ham "ticket" itself these days. There was a time when you really had to know a few things about how and why things work but that day is long gone now and tickets are little more than mail order these days. Many modern operator are not really qualified to use equipment proper they own or use but knowledge requirements have been gutted.

There is no problem with being just an "operator" of radio gear and outsource all maintenance to others. The problem is that people try to do things they have very little clue about and then ask questions that show others that they have no understanding of what they are doing. That may cause aggravation in some folks on the forum.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2017, 09:52:25 AM »

My bitch is that these days so many want everything handed to them without working for it.

There is no problem with being just an "operator" of radio gear and outsource all maintenance to others. The problem is that people try to do things they have very little clue about and then ask questions that show others that they have no understanding of what they are doing. That may cause aggravation in some folks on the forum.

Reality is that there are few if any young hams. So, if you want it to die off completely you can always reinstitute the code and go back to tests given by the FCC as they were back in the seventies. Then you will die or end up talking to yourself, whichever comes first.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »

Reality is that there are few if any young hams. So, if you want it to die off completely you can always reinstitute the code and go back to tests given by the FCC as they were back in the seventies. Then you will die or end up talking to yourself, whichever comes first.

Tell you what, HAM radio did fine for many decades without no code or mail order CB Extra tickets and would still be fine without them. The only ones that really benefited from rule changes are those that were vested in sell gear for it as many made fast money for a few years because of it but hobby suffered for it and is turning into a modern day CB bands without channels plain and simple and limited only by your pocket book. One day it may no longer be called HAM radio either. To suggest otherwise is being in denial about where it is headed. 

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 03:30:56 PM »

Tell you what, HAM radio did fine for many decades without no code or mail order CB Extra tickets and would still be fine without them. The only ones that really benefited from rule changes are those that were vested in sell gear for it as many made fast money for a few years because of it but hobby suffered for it and is turning into a modern day CB bands without channels plain and simple and limited only by your pocket book. One day it may no longer be called HAM radio either. To suggest otherwise is being in denial about where it is headed.  

Look,if you take someone with EE university training (thinking of myself) -he can pass exam and operate (and likely repair) radio just fine, even if he does not know code. Today Morse is replaced with digital modes. It will make much more sense to add more questions about digital modes and computer setup for that, than resurrect something that will die natural death sooner or later. And I would agree with giving Tech licensee privilege to operate digital modes on HF.  I do not think that VHF/UHF only license (like Tech today) is really needed. If you read other posts on this forum, you will find complains that there is little or no traffic on local repeaters.  That mode of communications just gets obsolete. I expect to see more digital high speed networks (read latest QST for one example) instead of voice only repeaters. Tech license can be repurposed as digital mode only on any band (including digital voice), with analog voice kept for higher tiers.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:34:19 PM by AC2RY » Logged
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 05:21:03 PM »

You got stuck in a time warp apparently. If you were born 30 or 40 years later you would have no interest in ham radio what so ever . Nor, have any interest in talking to the current version of yourself.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 09:07:27 PM »

You got stuck in a time warp apparently. If you were born 30 or 40 years later you would have no interest in ham radio what so ever . Nor, have any interest in talking to the current version of yourself.

That statement could fertilize 40 acres!  At one time, ham radio meant something or perhaps I should say "more" because most could and did provide a service to the country.  Actually, amateur radio IS a service spelled out by the FCC.

While we do have thousands that still provide a "service" to the country in times of need, it is nothing compared to what it used to be. And it just isn't the code question.  Nowadays the newer hams barely know AC from DC!

One day it may no longer be called HAM radio either. To suggest otherwise is being in denial about where it is headed.
  Truer words were never spoken!  To believe otherwise puts you in a "time warp!"

So let's forget the damned code.  Just look at the rest of it.  Look at the percentage of QST magazine that advertises gear.  The Internet and associated gear is what has hurt amateur radio and the dollar from vendors as well as dumbing down licensing requirements has kept it afloat.

It's easy to project or predict that our so called ham radio will one day be just another big CB band!
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2017, 07:41:12 AM »

At one time,

So, you are making my point trying to argue about it.

Not sure what alternative reality you are in, maybe same as JX. But, no young people have any interest in ham radio. Period, end of story. Been to a hamfest lately ?

Like reinstituting the previous requirements is going to change that or something.

Some insanity here.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »

AH:  You are probably right..... and I'm just an old man who prefers to go down fighting, or more accurately, punching at shadows while I see the greatest hobby in the world simply melt away.....melt into a pool of uncaring snowflakes. 

It's just disgusting and disheartening to have lived through the fiasco of CB and then see ham radio go the same way. 

I also think a person would have to have studied the efforts of those who made radio possible and then live through the earlier days of ham radio when a person had to learn the craft in order to become part of it, to understand where we're going now. Only then can you understand the disgust we old timers feel.

AR VA de K8AXW

K6BRN

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 04:35:37 PM »

Gee guys... I'm sorry.  Did I miss something?  I was texting.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: